PDA

View Full Version : Things to do differently next time....

mocha
13-04-2012, 10:42 PM
These days never start off with a fanfare, there's no big neon sign that says 'the excrement is about to collide with the rotary oscillator today' just the slow inexorable slide from peace and tranquillity down to the chaotic petulance of "you said I said" "I said I said" and "I said you said" and so it was with this one too. But suddenly you're there scrabbling for the moral high ground of justification!

This was one of those days and of course I didn't see it coming... the twisted forces of the universe conspiring together with a grass field, 30 metres of metal stock fencing and an old land rover mixed with the startling discovery of the brake pedal and the floor making a surprising and unwelcome acquaintance.

There are no prizes for the most creative story about how these elements combined into the resultant pictures below.... just enjoy and pass the pliers! :-)

JAZZCNC
13-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes but Scrap metals at an all time high, the pikeys round here would kill for that. .!! . . . . ( Thou they'd let you keep the barb'd wire. . :thumsup:)

m_c
14-04-2012, 01:15 AM
You appear to of got some rusting POS tangled up in your fence...:wink:

mocha
14-04-2012, 01:57 AM
You appear to of got some rusting POS tangled up in your fence...:wink:

LOL, that's the first laugh I've had about it!

It's only used for dragging feed around and rubbish to the bonfire, the annual bit of chain harrowing. The flailing fence took out the brake lines, a portion of the harness ( there's loose wires hanging around anyway) ripped off the axle straps, the prop sliding joint rubber cover, exhaust now blowing and acted like a pneumatic prodding screwdriver on the chassis rails...

Gave up on the pliers very quickly and invested in some 1mm cutting disks! :-) I'd use a plasma if I could trust myself not to get carried away with it and do a FWD conversion! Wonder if I could use the engine to drive a spindle???

HankMcSpank
14-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Looks like something Damien Hirst would throw together ....... 'Rusting POS on fence wire'

m.marino
14-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Now that is a sad state of affairs. Personally, short handle bolt cutters and a hooked crowbar would be my weapons of choice. Good luck on that one, you are needing it.

Michael

Tenson
14-04-2012, 04:28 PM
With that amount of tangled mess, might it be quicker to take the drive shaft out of the transmission at the back and slide the wire off, then put the drive shaft back? Probably not, as I've never worked on a land-rover!

I'd just use a big clamp to bunch portions of the wire together then cut through it with an angle-grinder.

z3t4
14-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi Mocha.

It's a leafer, so it'll survive. It's what they do. Anyway you'll have an opportunity now to re-do the underseal and to replace the work of the Prince of Darkness :wink:

PS I feel your pain. Pretty much daily, with ours...

mocha
15-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Now that is a sad state of affairs. Personally, short handle bolt cutters and a hooked crowbar would be my weapons of choice. Good luck on that one, you are needing it.

Michael

LOL, thanks Michael.

Amen! finally got rid of it after 6 hours worth of pulling, cutting and shoving. This stock fencing was 4mm and must be nitrided hardened sprung memory titanium alloy steel (I exaggerate only for the purpose of clarity) ... once I did chop through it, it stayed right where it was like an alien face hugger! It laughed at my large assortment of crowbars so I used a ratchet strap to drag it off!

@Tenson
A good plan! but when I had a look, the rear prop bolts were well buried under the wire but the grinder worked well. Jazz has mentioned about the 1mm disks for cutting through rails... I can attest that they also go through this wire very well too.

@John
LOL, daily transport?? wow, now that IS impressive. This one's not been on the road since 2002, It'll stay running it until it eventually gets beyond repair the possibility of repair or tries to 'mind meld' a couple more fences... whichever comes first!

m_c
15-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Amen! finally got rid of it after 6 hours worth of pulling, cutting and shoving. This stock fencing was 4mm and must be nitrided hardened sprung memory titanium alloy steel (I exaggerate only for the purpose of clarity) ... once I did chop through it, it stayed right where it was like an alien face hugger! It laughed at my large assortment of crowbars so I used a ratchet strap to drag it off!

That's high tensile fence wire for you!
Good quality sharp bolt cutters are the best solution.

motoxy
15-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Should have gone to specsavers:hysterical: