PDA

View Full Version : Feedback poll - which age group are you?

mocha
26-04-2012, 09:06 PM
If you are a guest or a registered user please take a moment to vote the relevant group.

The information given will aggregated and only be used to ascertain the makeup of the readership here to help with any future changes to the site. The information will not be sold to any third party or used for any other reason.

Many thanks

Jonathan
26-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Looks like everyone's under 21 ;)

motoxy
26-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I was under 21 once, in fact i was under 51 once. Thankfully i am still under 61. Sigh

JAZZCNC
26-04-2012, 10:59 PM
One post for " Immortal soul of a shamen deity " that must be John S. . .:teapot:

John S
26-04-2012, 11:42 PM
No mate, might have been if I knew what it meant.
Not voted, there is no group for wrinkly bastard

Web Goblin
27-04-2012, 06:21 AM
:sorrow: I just hit a rather young 45 this week. No where near some of you old dinosaurs yet though :biggrin:

m.marino
27-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Web Goblin,

Stop on by and I give a bottle of beer or two (homebrew and good stuff) as I turn 45 this June myself. '67 was a very good model year.

Michael

luke11cnc
27-04-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm 46 in June this year so I'm glad to say "I'm in the majority at the moment"

James

Lee Roberts
27-04-2012, 12:09 PM
30 on the 16th of Sep here :beer:

HankMcSpank
27-04-2012, 12:58 PM
clinging on to my 40s....but it's a losing battle 5-0 looms in August.

Still as they say, you're only as young as the woman you feel....fortunately she's still a decade younger & much perter than me!

audioandy
27-04-2012, 10:38 PM
clinging on to my 40s....but it's a losing battle 5-0 looms in August.

Still as they say, you're only as young as the woman you feel....fortunately she's still a decade younger & much perter than me!

You lucky swine!

John S
28-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Try changing your avatar and you might have more success.
About the best bet you have with that picture is Myra Hindley.

motoxy
28-04-2012, 11:27 AM
You mean thats NOT his photograph?????

Swarfing
28-04-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm just thinking i might buy some shares in statins looking at this lot :barbershop_quartet_

JAZZCNC
28-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Phew he wished he's been heavly photo shopped to look that good Bruce . . . He's proper Ugly Bastard in the flesh..:emmersed:

HankMcSpank
28-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Try changing your avatar and you might have more success.
About the best bet you have with that picture is Myra Hindley.

But you should see my wife's face...I said she was pert & a decade younger ....not a looker .....as it goes, she's a real fox in an Anne Widdecombe type of way**

Phew he wished he's been heavly photo shopped to look that good Bruce . . . He's proper Ugly Bastard in the flesh..:emmersed:

You make a good point...and I've almost saved enough to get some plastic surgery done...if I could get up to audioandy's aesthetic I'd be happy.

**(just kidding...my wife is actually babe-a-liscious ...so please note that no wives were hurt during the making of this thread!)

motoxy
28-04-2012, 08:05 PM
**(just kidding...my wife is actually babe-a-liscious ...so please note that no wives were hurt during the making of this thread!)

She was behind you wasn't she!!!

audioandy
29-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Mates! Who needs enemies with you lot.:sorrow:

Web Goblin
29-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Michael,
might just take you up on that, I could do with a beer. I was in Edinburgh this afternoon actually. Sat nav took me on a magical mystery tour trying to go around the city centre. Damn nightmare to drive in it is. 67 was a very good year indeed. Quality products with superb build quality were made in that year.:yahoo:

Ian

blackburn mark
25-05-2012, 09:34 AM

hahaha!!!.... its a real shame.... you could put a leash on him, take him shopping and i swear you would get sraight to the front of the cue and get everything half price :)

JAZZCNC
31-05-2012, 05:57 PM
hahaha!!!.... its a real shame.... you could put a leash on him, take him shopping and i swear you would get sraight to the front of the cue and get everything half price :)

Why do you think I took him to harrogate show with me. . . . Lol . . . . . . . . . (Soz Andy mate couldn't resist.)

motoxy
01-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Thats strange, I heard he took you just so he would get the birds:hysterical:

audioandy
02-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words guy's !!!!!
It's a good job I'm thick skinned as well as pig ugly :sorrow:

JAZZCNC
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the kind words guy's !!!!!
It's a good job I'm thick skinned as well as pig ugly :sorrow:

Ye but it's these things that make you all the more special Andy. .:love_heart:. . . . . . . .. (Shame it's special needs like. :playful:)

m.marino
22-06-2012, 04:54 PM
You know IF someone who did not understand Brit humor read this they would seriously think there was a good bit taking the P out of folk on this board. Lucky for us, most on this board know better. The more you are harassed the more often you are well liked (though a few will take the P just to do so).

Looks like it is mostly us mid of the road folks on here by the poll as it where. Getting back to what the thread is about (oh, no).

Take care folks.

Michael

wilfy
25-07-2012, 09:10 AM
wow theres alot of people in the 40's+ ranges.. as a relatively young member here (29) could i ask what brings the older folks here and i'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand why at 40/50/60 some people would go down the route of cnc...

do some of you use home made cnc to run a business or is it all just hobby work?

irving2008
25-07-2012, 11:53 AM
wow theres alot of people in the 40's+ ranges.. as a relatively young member here (29) could i ask what brings the older folks here and i'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand why at 40/50/60 some people would go down the route of cnc...

do some of you use home made cnc to run a business or is it all just hobby work?

A lot of the people on here use CNC at work, not necessarily home-made. There is a fair x-over of hobby and commercial users, though sometimes it is hard to tell which is which. At least 3 or 4 of the main players run their own engineering businesses or businesses in which CNC machining or other similar tooling plays a large part. And then there are those like myself for which it is an adjunct to other hobbies - a means of getting stuff made quickly and effectively... and then there's the group of would be entrepreneurs who hope that CNC will make them money in small cabinetry or other wood-working and/or metal working start-ups. Its not entirely clear how successful those are, or indeed where the transition from hobby to a real business is.

TBH, I'm not sure that age makes a difference in any of those...

Web Goblin
25-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I've been working in cnc land for closing on 20 years now. Worked for one of the major players in the profiling game but went back to the maintenance side of things when the travelling got too much. Now work for a large ship builder on maintenance and repair and service some of the stuff from the company I used to work for along with stuff from some of the other big names in the business.
I had been looking around the web looking at cnc machines one day and started seeing the "home built" ones and thought "I can do that" so I did and ended up here. Skint now.

JAZZCNC
25-07-2012, 07:36 PM
started seeing the "home built" ones and thought "I can do that" so I did

Thats exactly what I did.

To be honest I help loads of DIY people and out of them the ones that succeed and progress the best and often fastest are the 35+ age group.
Like this Poll shows there are more of them as well.!!. . . I'd say 75% I deal with are over 40. Personally I belive this is because they are not full of Arrogance with know-it-all attitudes so don't mind asking for assistance or help.? . . .What I do know for sure is they are 90% the time the ones cutting first with least mechanical issue's.!!

Robin Hewitt
25-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I must admit that at 60 I can see the attraction of 40 winks after lunch, but I'm not quite ready to be put out to pasture yet...

OTOH, if someone wants to put me out to stud then I will happily hand over a full order book to the younger generation :whistle:

wilfy
25-07-2012, 11:20 PM
thanks for the interesting replies.. it's nice to see other peoples backgrounds.

jazz i will prove your over 35 rule wrong though... i'll ask every single question i can think of as i dont want to build a machine that i will be re-doing and replacing things on due to not listening or not asking.. hence my previous post about ballscrews.

i'm on quite a strict budget for my machine which i know i will bust, but if i can get 75% of the way and start having something to show for it i think my other half will forgive me for going over and let me spend the rest, my initial thoughts were to go for one of them mdf jobbies where you pay $25 for the plans, but through reading all your wonderfull threads and arguements ect, i've decided to ditch the mdf framing for alu extru more than likely and i've ditched the idea of threaded rod for ballscrews...

anyway back on topic, i didnt even consider that most people here would be those age group because i am used to being on a car audio forum where most people are sub 30's certainly sub 40's so i just presumed it would be the same here. i also had it in my head everyone would be small time hobby guys doing this to speed up and add accuracy and more complex shapes than could be achieved with a hand router.

mocha
25-07-2012, 11:47 PM
"i dont want to build a machine that i will be re-doing and replacing things on -snip- i'm on quite a strict budget for my machine..."

:-)

That's how it starts... I'll just have the one machine... next thing you know you ditch the plans for MDF and go for extruded alloy, then you cant live without profiled rails and the surprised look on your face as the sun comes up becomes a permament fixture!

Get out now before it's too late. You've got your whole life ahead of you.

If anyone asks you "Do you want some CNC?" Just say NO!

My name is Mocha and I'm addicted.

(great fun though...)

JAZZCNC
25-07-2012, 11:48 PM
i also had it in my head everyone would be small time hobby guys doing this to speed up and add accuracy and more complex shapes than could be achieved with a hand router.

He he ye it starts that way then before you know it you've moved on V2 then V3 V4 etc then before you know it you've done something really crazy like I've just gone and done today and bought something very much like this just slightly smaller.!! .. but not much smaller.??.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeGm3H9_cTM

Good Job I'm divorced already because this would be real hard to defend in divorce court. . :stupid:

Edit: How the F@~& do I embed youtube vid.?

wilfy
26-07-2012, 12:08 AM
that machine looks awesome.... guess i know who to come to when i want my side plates for Z and X machining

JAZZCNC
26-07-2012, 12:16 AM
that machine looks awesome.... guess i know who to come to when i want my side plates for Z and X machining

No not for a long time yet.!! . . . It's in pieces and will take me a many many months if not years to get back up working. I'm flat out anyway and struggling already with time so I won't be able to even look in it's direction for months. . :upset:

wilfy
26-07-2012, 12:17 AM
fortunately it was a joke :D

Web Goblin
26-07-2012, 06:09 AM
Wilfy,
all you need now is one of Jazz's "I love cnc" T shirts to become a convert.

irving2008
26-07-2012, 09:44 AM
No not for a long time yet.!! . . . It's in pieces and will take me a many many months if not years to get back up working. I'm flat out anyway and struggling already with time so I won't be able to even look in it's direction for months. . :upset:

Must have been an absolute bargain then to have considered it... or is this part of your long term plan for world domination :biggrin:

JAZZCNC
26-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Must have been an absolute bargain then to have considered it... or is this part of your long term plan for world domination :biggrin:

Irving the only Domination happening is over my floor space.!! The workshops going to need a 2 story extension.!!!! . . . What Have I done.:hopelessness:

It's not actually that machine or make and it's slightly smaller but works identical regards long Z axis and C & A axis. It's actually bit stronger built than this machine in that it doesn't have a moving gantry.? X Axis runs directly on the roof of the machine main frame which is one big massive frame and the Y axis is a moving table. The ATC works just the same coming out the side.
It's custom built machine with very high spec in it's day(and even by today's standards it's up there.!) made by company called JOBS and started it's life at the Mclaren F1 factory before moving to Rover.!! ( Figures.? Technology moving down the food chain with age. .Lol)

Regards bargain lets just say if the machine was working it would pay for it's self in 3 hours.!! . . and that would include running costs. .:yahoo:

It will in all probability be well over a year and probably more before it's working again.? (If at all). . . Even then it may not go back to it's former glory and end up a 3 axis for reason I'll explain later.?

When I actually get it I intend to put up a build or RE-build LOG on a forum so you will be able to see it either come back to life or get broke up for it's high quality components.? . . . . Thou don't hold your breath because I've got other commitments I must finish and get out the way before I even dare look in this machines direction and at the rate life's been throwing shit at me latley then it will be along time before looking.!! (Hopefully dropping on this the tides turning and somebody's certainly be looking down on me.:angel:)

Now suppose I better get back to work so I can start playing sooner.!

irving2008
26-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Irving the only Domination happening is over my floor space.!! The workshops going to need a 2 story extension.!!!! . . . What Have I done.:hopelessness:

And there's me wondering if its worth spending money on a 6m x 3.5m block-built workshop in the back garden to house my lathe/mill/workbench and bikes so we can convert the garage for SWMBO... :torn:

Jed Clampit
26-07-2012, 09:15 PM
41 - 50 rule then
perhaps its the fact this age group has had their families and are finding themselves with more time/money, or even better and just got a divorce and now have lots and lots of money LOL
for me its just an extension to my hobbies and the fact i love making things. trouble is i still have a wife, kids and have no money or time :sorrow:

wilfy
26-07-2012, 11:19 PM
41 - 50 rule then
perhaps its the fact this age group has had their families and are finding themselves with more time/money, or even better and just got a divorce and now have lots and lots of money LOL
for me its just an extension to my hobbies and the fact i love making things. trouble is i still have a wife, kids and have no money or time :sorrow:

do i win for the fact i have 2 11 month old twin boys and have persuaded my missus to let me build a cnc :D oh and i'm 29.. sure i mentioned that already :p

Jed Clampit
27-07-2012, 06:27 AM
don't gloat because believe me she will want some kind of pay back

wilfy
27-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Haha your probs not wrong, the fact I've gotta buy a new car before I do this kinda proves u right

martin54
08-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Not seen this post before but now it seems to have popped up I ticked the appropriate box. Unfortunately I've passed the largest group (40 - 50) but I'm planing on being around for quite a while longer lol.

Work or hobby, well a bit of both really, mind you I am lucky enough to like my work so that's just a hobby I get paid for.:teapot:

D.C.
14-10-2012, 07:45 AM
'Immortal soul of a shamen deity' ?!

I didn't know this guy posted here...

http://youtu.be/rPRkYWVinF0

Chase & Status feat. Takura "No Problem" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPRkYWVinF0)

alex wight
23-12-2012, 06:31 PM
44 this year, feel 36 (I think that's how old she is) lol

GEOFFREY
23-12-2012, 06:38 PM
How many bedrooms Jazz?

magicniner
20-01-2018, 07:36 PM
I just noticed that there's no Grumpy Old Bar-Steward category in the poll, rendering it invalid for engineers ;-)

Gav74
25-03-2018, 09:40 AM
44 here feeling more like 64 at the moment though.

priyamehta
03-01-2020, 09:39 AM
thank you for the information.

AndyUK
11-01-2020, 07:33 PM
thank you for the information.

Although do consider the thread started 8 years ago, you should probably change those age brackets :P

John11668
13-09-2020, 09:05 AM
Having got my first cnc working this year (durinfg lockdown) at 70, I am hoping for may more years to play with it and many more projects yet to com , although this TCL is trying my patience.

John11668
13-09-2020, 09:06 AM
Are the results of the poll announced ?????

Georgehun
13-12-2020, 11:52 PM
36 but soon be 37 😁

erniehatt
16-02-2021, 05:16 AM
Soon to be 86 and still going pretty strong.

Dave Atkins
28-02-2021, 07:28 PM
One post for " Immortal soul of a shamen deity " that must be John S. . .:teapot:

Hi Dean,

Can you let me have your email address as I don’t seem to be able to PM you from this forum.

Dave.

Clive S
28-02-2021, 08:16 PM
Hi Dean,

Can you let me have your email address as I don’t seem to be able to PM you from this forum.

Dave.

You might need a few more posts before you can use the p.m. system

JAZZCNC
28-02-2021, 09:00 PM
Hi Dean,

Dave.

Sent you a PM Dave

JAZZCNC
15-05-2021, 07:49 AM
Lee isn't it time this thread went away.? It keeps popping up on the trending list when no one has posted.

erniehatt
08-06-2021, 05:28 AM

Well you have at least two now. At 86 what else would it be.:beer:

John McNamara
21-03-2023, 01:47 PM
I am about 140km been serviced well.
only a couple of rattles in the frame
The engine is Good.
Paintwork needs a good polish.
And the bio computer still works.
Or as another Aussie mate would say all's good in the top paddock.
:)

Lee Roberts
26-03-2023, 10:52 PM
I am about 140km been serviced well.
only a couple of rattles in the frame
The engine is Good.
Paintwork needs a good polish.
And the bio computer still works.
Or as another Aussie mate would say all's good in the top paddock.
:)

lol :)

....I've updated my vote as im now 40!! Damn they said life goes' fast but I didnt think they meant this fast :dejection:

Robin Hewitt
07-03-2024, 05:53 PM
Forty sounds really old. OTOH, I just got a new dog and we have about the same life expectancy :topsy_turvy: