PDA

View Full Version : What cnc

Boovey
12-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I am thinking of buying an entry level 1200x1200 cnc to cut and manufacture shop fittings in mdf , I have looked on eBay and there seems to be a good choice but they all come from china . Are the Chinese ones any good or shall I steer clear ?
i have around £4000 to spend
any advice would be greatly appreciated and any help to steer me in the right direction

Jonathan
12-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Steer clear of the Chinese ones. They all make compromises and so do a striking number of the machines you can buy in England. Thus the only way to get a good machine for a remotely reasonable price is to make your own or pay someone else to make it or a combination of both. If you give a link to any your interested in we can say why it's no good. If you're only ever going to cut MDF then a few of the compromises are acceptable, but nobody gets a CNC router and only uses it for what they originally planned.

Common faults which all lead to lower rigidity are (to name but a few):
Only using one ballscrew on the gantry which leaves the outside insufficiently supported to cut anything substantial.
Unsupported round rails.
Bearing blocks on Z-axis plate instead of rails.
Unreliable/poor spindle.
Mismatched electrics.

£4000 is enough to get an excellent 1200x1200 machine.

Boovey
13-05-2012, 10:17 AM
WherE should I be looking to get one built johnathon ? Or what type would you recommend me to have a look at ?
i will be mostly cutting mdf but as you say I may use it for engravIng name plates for my furniture . I am glad you replied as I was going to look at a Chinese one tomorrow but I'm not going to bother now . All advice will be greatly appreiciated
boovey

GMCNC
13-05-2012, 02:05 PM
You should also note, that a 'built' machine can struggle to maintain any rigidity due to the material and method of construction used.

Using it at home is one thing, using it as a part of your work is another....

You should both come and see mine! Chinese built with some british suggestions :P

craigrobbo
13-05-2012, 05:50 PM
You should also note, that a 'built' machine can struggle to maintain any rigidity due to the material and method of construction used.

Using it at home is one thing, using it as a part of your work is another....

You should both come and see mine! Chinese built with some british suggestions :P

Sorry to jump in,

Very interested to see your mods to your machine to increase rigidity, could you please post up some pictures and/or a list of modifications please

Thanks

Craig

Boovey
13-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Photos please

JAZZCNC
13-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes Photo's would be good.! . . . . Photo's showing under the bonnet, the things that matter please not the pritty sales pics.!