PDA

View Full Version : Build or buy?

jonnydeen
13-05-2012, 02:49 AM
I have wanted a cnc mill for the past 2 years but no matter how many forum posts or articles i read i find myself pondering the same old question.
do i build one from a manual machine or buy a used one to retrofit with modern electronics?
i only need to machine relatively small components (aluminium mostly) and i think something around the size of a sieg x2 would be sufficient. yet something along the lines of the denford starmill or the emco f1 would seriously cut down valuable build time.
my main constraint is budget, i could only spend possibly £800-900 initially on a machine.

any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Jonathan
13-05-2012, 11:44 AM
You'll be able to get a bigger machine within your budget if you convert it yourself, unless you get very lucky.

I got my used milling machine for £320 including delivery via eBay. It's this one:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cmd1225d-milling-drilling-machine?da=1&TC=GS-060711226

Have a look on eBay and sort by distance nearest. You'll want to replace the screws with ballscrews from linearmotionbearings2008 on eBay. Electronics will cost about £250.

jonnydeen
13-05-2012, 02:55 PM
forgot to mention that ive got only limited space so i think something the size of a triac or warco vmc would be the biggest possible. sadly i recently had to turn down a £150 bridgeport mill due to lack of space
how do you find the round column? do you use the quill feed as the z axis?
ive toyed with the idea of converting a centec 2 mill or something of similar size, although i don't recall seeing one done i recon it could work out to be a very capable machine.

audioandy
13-05-2012, 08:15 PM
£150 Bridgeport :eek:

JAZZCNC
13-05-2012, 08:22 PM
£150 Bridgeport :eek:

I'm up for a trip to Ireland.!! . . . Still for sale.???

jonnydeen
13-05-2012, 09:44 PM
sorry to say that the mill has met its end :upset: i saw it at a yard clearance along with 2 ward 2d lathes. i was talking to the seller a couple of days after and he told me they were all scrapped, i almost cried

JAZZCNC
13-05-2012, 11:01 PM
sorry to say that the mill has met its end :upset: i saw it at a yard clearance along with 2 ward 2d lathes. i was talking to the seller a couple of days after and he told me they were all scrapped, i almost cried

Bastards.!! They should be shot for scrapping a bridgeport.