PDA

View Full Version : Mach3 + 2010 Screenset crashing. "Error found , Art Code: 9988"

Mad Professor
07-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Good day all.

I am looking for some help and advice regards to my Mach3 system crashing.

I am using Mach3 R3.043.062, with the 2010 screenset, and ethernet smoothstepper with the ESS_v10fb2 plug-in, and running windows 7 64bit.

The problem that I am having is that at random times Mach3 will just crash and come up with "Error found , Art Code: 9988, Attempt Rec...".

The thing that I have found that seems to set off the crash is using the 2010 screenset X/Y probing shortcut button, but even that is hit and miss to when it feels like crashing.

I have found that if I use the MDI interface and then press the probing shortcut button that this will crash mach3 most of the time.

Also when mach3 crashes, and I restart the program, the ethernet smoothstepper will no longer respond and I have to cycle the power to the ethernet smoothstepper.

Here are my mach3 system hardware details.
Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 - Processor.
ASUS Commando - Motherboard.
4GB DDR2 (2x2GB) - Memory.
nVidia 210 - Video Card.
Crucial M4 64GB Solid State Drive.
Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I 1st contacted ger21 on the forum as I thought it might be a problem with his 2010 screenset.

Ger21 replied saying that none of his other users have reported this problem, and it sounds like it my be a plug-in problem so to contact Greg at Warp9 Tech Design.

Greg said he is unsure what the problem might be, and he has no idea regarding the Art Code: 9988 error.

I have also tried running Mach3 in Windows XP mode, and I still get the same problem.

I have uploaded a video to my SkyDrive for you, so you can see what I am doing when the crash / error happens: http://sdrv.ms/K8dQLe

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Try this plugin.? V10da5

Not sure if it will work but belive it's the latest development plugin.?

Other things to try are using an older version of Mach say R3.043.040 this I know works with the USB SS and Gers screen because I use it.

Could also try using a older ESS plugin has a last resort.!

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Another thing is to ask Ger if he knows anyone running the Ess with his screen and see if he can find out the Mach version and ESS plugin versions there running.?

My first approach would to be using an older Mach version R3.042.020 I know is a very stable version of Mach. Whether the ESS likes it or not I don't know.?

Mad Professor
07-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I don't think the ESS is the problem, I have tried again running mach3 in PrinterPort mode, and without any using any Motion Conrol, by Mach3 Menu > Function Cfg's > Reset Device Sel.., restarting mach3 and selecting No Device.

I can still get the same error.

As you say it's worth a try using an order version of mach3 for testing to see if I still get the error.

But from what I have been told I can only use the ESS with Mach3 R3.043.062 and newer.

Best Regards.

Mad Professor
07-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Just to make sure it's not a plug-in related problem, I have renamed all the mach3 plug-ins "C:\Mach3\PlugIns" from .dll to .m3p to disable them.

And I can still get it to crash.

Best Regards.

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
But from what I have been told I can only use the ESS with Mach3 R3.043.062 and newer.

Best Regards.

No not true I've seen someone post he use's Version R3.043.022 for Mach and plugin v10fb1 for ESS on the Mach forum SS section.

Edit: You must use R3.043.062 with the latest plugin but not the earlier plugins.

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Try re-installing Mach completely but don't install the PP driver.? It can be added at anytime if you do need it.

Mad Professor
07-06-2012, 06:15 PM
I just uninstalled eveything to do with mach3, and then deleted "C:\Mach3".

I then installed Mach3 3.043.022, No LazyCam, no PrinterPort driver, no ESS Plug-in, Installed 2010 ScreenSet, Copied Mach3 xml and license file to "C:\Mach3".

I then ran Mach3 with my xml file, and I was still able to make Mach3 crash.

So I thought there might be an error with my xml file, so I loaded Mach3 with the default xml, and I can still get it to crash.

Any more ideas?

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Ermmm. . . Ok. This sounds very much like your XML is fubar. 2010 set is stable on that version I know that 100%

Try creating a new XML using the 1024 set and the ESS installed then try to see if it works ok, then install 2010 set and test again.?

Mad Professor
07-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I have just tried again on my Home PC, that has never had mach3 installed on it, and get the same thing again, with only installing Mach3, 2010 ScreenSet, and the Mach3 license.

JAZZCNC: What OS are you running on your Mach3 computer, I am starting to wonder if it might be a Windows 7 64bit issue.

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Opp's my Bad.!! Didn't see that you had already done that.!!!

Could it be a computer conflict.? I don't use win7 on my machines only XP. Try running has adminstrator.?
I know the PP driver doesn't work on 64bit but Mach does and the ESS so can't see it being an issue here.?

To me it seems computer related because like I say I know 2010 is stable on .R3.043.022 you could try belt and braces approach and try the absolute known stable Mach version that Gerry use's and designed the 2010 set on which is Rev R3.042.020.?

After this this then I don't know.!

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 07:13 PM
JAZZCNC: What OS are you running on your Mach3 computer, I am starting to wonder if it might be a Windows 7 64bit issue.

Win XP on all machines.

Try running in 32bit compatibilty mode.?

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I know the ESS did have an issue with some virus checkers but the latest plugin fixed this I belive but it's worth trying turning the VC off has a test.!!

Mad Professor
07-06-2012, 07:24 PM
What would you know.

I have just rolled back to R3.042.020, once again only installed Mach3, 2010 ScreenSet, and the Mach3 license, and I can't get it to crash yet.

How strange.

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Ok now go and try the Version R3.043.022 for Mach and plugin v10fb1 that is known to work with win7 64 and 2010.

Mad Professor
07-06-2012, 08:38 PM
That was long-winded, but I have worked my way back from the lastest version, unto I found a version that no longer crashed.

All I installed was Mach3, 2010 ScreenSet, and Mach3 license.

3.043.062 - Crashes.
3.043.022 - Crashes.
3.043.019 - Crashes.
3.043.016 - Crashes.
3.043.012 - Crashes.
3.043.011 - Crashes.
3.043.010 - Crashes.
3.043.006 - Does Not Crash.

I can't find a Changelog from 3.043.006 to 3.043.010

JAZZCNC
07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
So now does it work with the ESS on the older plugin.?

You certainly have a weird issue going on there and think some of it could be the win7 64bit.??

Mad Professor
07-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Mach3 R3.043.006 & 2010 Screenset works fine with my xml file, I don't yet know about the ESS yet, as I have to use it in No Device mode, as I am testing on my home pc.

But the next time I am at the workshop I will try what I have found out and report back.

Mad Professor
09-06-2012, 06:21 AM
I have now tried Both 64bit and 32bit versions of windows 7, and both crash in the same way.

JAZZCNC
09-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I have now tried Both 64bit and 32bit versions of windows 7, and both crash in the same way.

Ok lets just step back a bit to clear the mind.!! Does the Mach and the ESS work ok with standard 1024 screen set.?

From what you where saying before Mach still crashed with no ESS plugin or PP drivers installed.! I know 100% Mach + Ger's screen + USB SS work on win7 32bit because thats what I use on my house laptop for testing machines.
My son has got win7 64bit laptop so I've just installed Mach + 2010 with latest dev version no PP driver and guess what.? . . . None of the probe routines will work at ALL.!! . . At first thought it could be because no motion controller/driver so installed the russian Ethernet card (Only arrived yesterday so not tested properly yet but so far it's looking good.:thumsup:) and still no joy.!! Zilllllch response.!. . .Very strange.!!!!!!!!!

Got to go do some work now but when I get time will play a little more and see what I can find.!!. . . . I've known Gerry for quite a few years now and I'm sure if there's an issue with his screen set he'll be on the case but I suspect the development version has changed so broke something inside Mach.? This is the most annoying aspect of Mach they change something to fix or improve one thing and break another in the process.!! BUT you can't blame ARTSOFT after all it's the development version not the lockdown so it's a gamble outside developers like warp9 take when issueing plugin's that only work with the DEV version.
Gerry openly warns about usng the DEV version and states which version the software is known to be stable on. . .But throw win7 64 into the mix and things could change here has well
I will dig a little deeper and if still no joy then I'll email Gerry and see if it's a 64bit issue.? . . . . I would like to get to the bottom of this for my own sake has well so don't mind fishing.

JAZZCNC
09-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Ok quick update.

I've just installed dev version ending .062 on my win7 32bit with 2010set and it works fine in both PP and USB SS and purelogic Ethernet. Followed your exact actions in the video and works fine.? Tried to break it by usig different combo's and still it's stable.

So maybe you have an issue on the machines your running.? Maybe some other software is conflicting.? The machine I've just tried it on here is my house laptop and it's loaded up with all kinds of crap so not optimised in anyway.!!

Ger21
09-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I posted some information here 2 days ago, that was not approved by a moderator yet???

This probably won't be either but...

Mach3 version 3.43.022 has a serious bug that causes Mach3 to lock up when using the tool change macro (M6) from the 2010 Screenset. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that this bug is in all 3.43.xxx versions prior to 3.43.028, where it was fixed. You really should'nt try using any of these versions.

For Jazz, the routines probably don't work because the G31 probe commands need the parallel port driver (or motion device plugin) to work correctly. Perhaops the russian cards plugin doesn't support G31 properly?

I have a new PC with Windows 7 x64 at work that I can do some testing on, but I'm leaving on vacation in a few days and won't be able to check for about 2 weeks.

This is really starange. My guess was that it's a Windows 7 x64 issue, but you're seeing it on 32 bit as well???
There are about 750-800 2010 Screenset users, and I have no other reports of this.

Lee Roberts
09-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I posted some information here 2 days ago, that was not approved by a moderator yet???

This probably won't be either but...

Hi Gerry?

I've had a look at the moderation queue and we dont have anything out standing that needs looking at, on viewing the moderation log i can see this entry: Jonathan 23:17, 7th Jun 2012 Post Re: Mach3 + 2010 Screenset crashing. "Error found , Art Code: 9988" by Ger21 Removed

I dont know why Jonathan removed your submission but i will find out and let you know. Sorry for any inconvenience, as such your account has now been given full privileges and you no longer require your posts/threads to be moderated.

Regards,
Lee

John S
09-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi Gerry?

I dont know why Jonathan removed your submission but i will find out and let you know. Sorry for any inconvenience, as such your account has now been given full privileges and you no longer require your posts/threads to be moderated.

Regards,
Lee

Perhaps requires a smack on the back of his head ?

Lee Roberts
09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Perhaps requires a smack on the back of his head ?

Was going to trip him up on way to smoke room ?

JAZZCNC
09-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Because he's been seduced to the Dark side with promise of a Quicky round back of the bike shed. . :couple_inlove:

Gerry: (It's Dean-Hemsworthlad) I've not had time to play properly with Russian card but it works fine with all probes using win 7 32bit and mach dev .062. 1.1.2 screen. (send me update please when you get chance.!!)
Just 64bit version it failed on but it didn't even attempt to try working, just has if the call to load 2010 probe screen was being ignored.? All the probe buttons acted has if the weren't active, simple. autotool all of them were dead with no response or error message. I even went and checked the macros to see if they had gone Awol.!!. . . .Very strange.!

Hopefully later tonight I'll have more time to test things and see whats happening better.!

Ger21
09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
All the probe buttons acted has if the weren't active, simple. autotool all of them were dead with no response or error message. I even went and checked the macros to see if they had gone Awol.!!. . . .Very strange.!

Did you copy the macros into the Mach3\macros\yourprofile folder? If not, that will cause what you're seeing.

Mad Professor
09-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks again for everyones input so far.

This morning I was doing a clean install of Windows 7 32Bit, after doing a DOD wipe, on my Tablet PC, before installing all the software I need for the Tablet PC, I thought I would give Mach3 a try on that and see what happends.

So I once again installed Mach3 3.043.062, No LazyCam, No PrinterPort Driver, installed 2010 ScreenSet v1.1.4, Mach3 License.
Ran Mach3 and used the default Mach3Mill xml profile, selected the 2010 screenset from menu.
And I was still about to get it to crash.

So thats now 2 PC's and 1 tablet pc that I can get to crash in the same way.

I was at the workshop today, so I uninstalled everything to do with Mach3 from the CNC Computer, and deleted the "C:\Mach3" folder.

I then Installed Mach3 3.043.006, 2010 ScreenSet v1.1.4, Ethernet Smoothstepper Plugin ESS_v10fb2, Mach3 License, XML config file.

I have been using it since aprox midday and I have not had one crash.

I still can not work out why 3.043.010 and newer crashes, and where 3.043.006 works fine.

I am going to setup a VM on my home PC so that I can install multiple OS's XP, NT, 2K, W7, etc, to see what I can find out.

As said above I am up and running using Mach3 3.043.006, but I want to try and get to the bottom of why the newer versions crash.

Thanks again.

Jonathan
09-06-2012, 10:06 PM

I remember deleting a post recently because I saw it was an exact duplicate of a previous post? It seems I made a mistake, very sorry for the inconvenience.

Can't think of anything more than I've already suggested about the apparent problem with Mach.

Ger21
10-06-2012, 03:35 AM
So I once again installed Mach3 3.043.062, No LazyCam, No PrinterPort Driver,...............................

I am going to setup a VM on my home PC so that I can install multiple OS's XP, NT, 2K, W7, etc, to see what I can find out.

Try with the printer port driver installed. A lot of things in Mach3 don't work correctly without it.

Also, I'm not sure if everything will work correctly using a VM. I don't think you can run a machine with Mach3 through a VM. At least I've never heard of anyone doing it. And if it's not fully functional, it's not a valid test.

One thing you might want to try is install 3.42.040 first, then install 3.43.062 on top of it. It doesn't crash here with 3.43.062.

You did say that it only crashes from the probe wizard toolbar button, right? What if you click the wizard button, then choose the probing wizard?

As said above I am up and running using Mach3 3.043.006, but I want to try and get to the bottom of why the newer versions crash.

Thanks again.

As I mentioned above, if you do a toolchange with that version, it may cause Mach3 to lockup, which requires a hard reboot to recover.

Mad Professor
10-06-2012, 09:07 PM
I have just been having a long chat with JAZZCNC on the phone, and we have narrowed the problem down to the MDI.

If the MDI is highlighted and then you click the X-Y Probe or the NS button, Mach3 will crash.

But if you have the MSI highlighted and then click off the MDI and then the X-Y Probe or NS button, Mach3 will not crash.

JAZZCNC is also about to repeat this crash on his own computer(s).

I can confirm that Mach3 R3.043.006 will not crash while doing this, but any newer versions will crash.

I am sure JAZZCNC will explain in more detail when he is next here.

Best Regards.

Ger21
10-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Jazz sent me an email explaining this, and I am able to duplicate it.

When you load the probing wizard, you are in effect unloading the screenset. If MDI is active, I can see why it might crash. The simple answer is don't open the wizard with MDI active. Please let Andrew know what you've found, and see if they'll fix it.

I could modify a screenset for you so the MDI is not active on the same tabs as the Probing Wizard, but that would be a pita imo.

I'm a bit surprised that it took 18 months for someone to find this. :)

JAZZCNC
11-06-2012, 12:33 AM
I am sure JAZZCNC will explain in more detail when he is next here.

No need for me to say any more really Gerry says it perfect.!! . . Just click off the MDI before clicking the probe screen.

Please let Andrew know what you've found, and see if they'll fix it.

I'll explain this Gerry has some on here may not understand.? Andrew is the tech Guy at Artsoft who deals with software issue's.
It's clearly a Mach issue in how it handles MDI not Ger's screen so they need to know if they don't already.!! . . . Just don't hold your breath for it getting fixed quick. .:friendly_wink:

Mad Professor
11-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Well at least we all now know what the problem is, and can all reproduce the error.

As you said the quick fix is just to renamer when using the MDI to always click off again before clicking anything else.

I will contact Andrew @ Artsoft with the findings.

Thanks again for everyone's time and support.

JAZZCNC
11-06-2012, 02:44 PM
I will contact Andrew @ Artsoft with the findings.

Already reported it to Scott Nichols at Artsoft and he's passing it along to Brian.!! . . Thou very much doubt it will get fixed or is fixable.?