PDA

View Full Version : Securing the workpiece

jrob3rts
16-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi All,
I tend to cut Acrylic and some wood when I have the time. I currently use double sided tape which works well but is also messy.
I have an alloy bed on which I mounted a piece of wood (it's actually kitchen worktoo chipboard) which allows me to have the odd moment of "oops, glad I have that piece of wood there" rather than driving into the bed.
I do plan to remove the wood at some point once I get a pretty good routine in place so, would I look to use some kind of clamps through the bed? It has slots, possibly called "T" slots. If clamping is the best solution, is it just a case of making something to do the job, or are there some great off the shelf products? I'm not looking to spend much so cost is a factor but if there is something available then I'll have a peek.
Cheers

James

Jay
16-06-2012, 10:09 PM
I think these are what your looking for which allow you to clamp work in all manner of arrangments.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Metric_Clamping_Kits.html

jrob3rts
16-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Brilliant. Thank you so much for the link. Will see what I have around first.
Thanks again.

James

Jay
16-06-2012, 10:21 PM
You can also use bolts with a head thats bigger than the t slot and just grind to side oposite to each other equal until they slide in.