PDA

View Full Version : What type of resistor?

Smiler
04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Hope someone can help here....

Wiring up the MPG I bought, I have installed a BOB (one of Gary's) which is a very simple (no opto-isolation etc.) type.

I have set Mach3 and my Smoothstepper to look for a second port and set them both to take pins 2-9 on port 2 as inputs for the axis selection and step multiplier. It looks from a little bit of research, that I may need a 10K resistor wired like so (http://www.markusmechatronics.de/Anschlussbeispiel_Handrad.pdf) to get Mach to read pins 2-9 as inputs. My question is what type of resistor should I buy?

On Ebay I see carbon film, mtal film, carbon composite and so on, is one type more suitable for my use?

Thanks for any advice.:beer:

Jeff.

Jeremy
04-12-2008, 09:30 PM
The resistor type for this application isn't important at all, as it's just a pull-up on a logic signal, so doesn't need to be anything special.

In terms of quality, metal oxide is probably the best, but to be honest, I'd just use a cheaper carbon film one. One with an 1/8th watt, or 1/4 watt, rating will be more than adequate.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Smiler
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Cheers Jeremy, thats a lot of help.:beer:

Lee Roberts
04-12-2008, 11:24 PM
I'v got some 0.25w Carbon film ones if they are of any use?

Smiler
05-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the offer Lee but my love affair with eBay continues with 100 for £1.99 :)