PDA

View Full Version : Is this Forum dangerous?

Karl
21-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Note today that my antivirus software has "blocked content that comes from potentially dangerous or suspicious sites" on this forum. Haven't seen that before.

Karl

m_c
21-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I've not had warnings...

Mad Professor
21-06-2012, 01:20 PM
What antivirus software are you using?

Lee Roberts
21-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi Karl,

My name is Lee Roberts i am the lead developer for this site, can you give me more details on the report you recived from your antivirus software, specifically the name of the threat detected and as much info as you can.

It's likely to be a false positive at this stage so users should'nt worry to much.

Thanks,
Lee

ptjw7uk
21-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Only danger on this forum is to your wallet!!

peter

Jonathan
21-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Because it is safer for an anti-virus to be overly cautious and flag some things that are unlikely to be dangerous as a precaution, you will always get some false detection. Furthermore due to the nature of the heuristic detection algorithms some poorer anti-virus software (e.g. AVG) the false detection rates are significantly higher. A lot of people blindly trust their anti-virus software - if it says something is dangerous there's a good chance that it's actually perfectly safe. mycncuk is a perfectly safe site..

Karl
21-06-2012, 02:47 PM
The warning has gone - took the form of a banner overlaid at the top of the page. Anti-virus software BT Netprotect Plus (McAfee).

K

Lee Roberts
21-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Hi Karl,

I dont think this is anything to worry about, i did a google on BT Netprotect Plus and found a few instances where BT Netprotect Plus has been a little over cautious.

I think Jonathan has said what needs to be said so will leave it at that, you "should" be able to view an event log at minimum for BT Netprotect Plus, this may give more details on the event. If you can find this i would be happy to look at it but i think its safe to say this was just a false positive.

.Me