PDA

View Full Version : Z axis not cutting to required depth

dinasblu
29-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi
Can anyone help, although my software (Vcarve pro) is set to cut a profile through the material the cnc router is not cutting to the required
depth. The material is 6mm vcarve is set to cut 7mm depth. The router is only cutting approx 3.50mm.
Hope someone out there can help

m.marino
29-06-2012, 08:28 PM
What is the step setting on that motor? It looks like there might be a problem in either how your driver is set up or in how your control software is. Exactly half the distance request is a bit of point on that one.

Michael

Jonathan
29-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Exactly half the distance request is a bit of point on that one.

Yes it implies the driver is set to half the microstep setting, or the motor step/mm setting is similarly doubled.

I would check the gcode to make sure it says Z-7, then you know it's definitely something wrong with the machine not the program.

JAZZCNC
29-06-2012, 09:11 PM
What control software are you using.? Like Micheal says it very much sounds like the machines setup wrong.

It's not uncommon for the Z axis to be set to a different number of steps to the X & Y axis in the control software.?
Usually this is because the Z axis screw use's a smaller pitch so requires more steps to cover the same distance. . . . So if for instance your X & Y use 10mm pitch screws and the Z Axis use's 5mm then it will move exactly half the distance of the X & Y for the same number of steps so possibley some ones used the same settings for all Axis.?

Easy 2min fix but first if you can give a few more details on the drives and how they are setup regards micro stepping then it may be better to change the micro stepping at the drive or just change steps setting in the control software.?
If your not sure how they are setup then some good pics of the drives will help along with make and model. Also the control software used IE Mach3, EMC2 etc

Ricardoco
29-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Hi
Can anyone help, although my software (Vcarve pro) is set to cut a profile through the material the cnc router is not cutting to the required
depth. The material is 6mm vcarve is set to cut 7mm depth. The router is only cutting approx 3.50mm.
Hope someone out there can helpin V-carve it may also be the start depth when you select the tool your cutting with, this i know because ive dont it myself.. but to be fair to the others who have commented its more likely their suggestion then mine..
Rick

dinasblu
02-07-2012, 12:34 PM
What control software are you using.? Like Micheal says it very much sounds like the machines setup wrong.

It's not uncommon for the Z axis to be set to a different number of steps to the X & Y axis in the control software.?
Usually this is because the Z axis screw use's a smaller pitch so requires more steps to cover the same distance. . . . So if for instance your X & Y use 10mm pitch screws and the Z Axis use's 5mm then it will move exactly half the distance of the X & Y for the same number of steps so possibley some ones used the same settings for all Axis.?

Easy 2min fix but first if you can give a few more details on the drives and how they are setup regards micro stepping then it may be better to change the micro stepping at the drive or just change steps setting in the control software.?
If your not sure how they are setup then some good pics of the drives will help along with make and model. Also the control software used IE Mach3, EMC2 etc

hello
I am using Mach 3 the steps are set at 160 and all axis threads are the same. the G code is showing the correct depth ie Z-7
I can say that this a sudden occurrence during this particular job

JAZZCNC
02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
I can say that this a sudden occurrence during this particular job

So are you saying it's been working OK then suddenly done this.?

If yes has it just done it without any changes to Mach.? By that I mean not changing any motor tuning settings or any thing.?

Can you post the G-code file so can take a look.

Edit: Can you give following details of machine so we can verify steps per is correct.

Thread pitch or turns per inch along with any ratio if geared.
Drive model and micro stepping set to IE 400,800,1600 etc could show on drives as 1/2 or 1/4 - 1/8 etc or 4X 8X 10X
Confirm steppers are 1.8deg (200 steps per rev)

i2i
02-07-2012, 04:35 PM
i've set this machine up before and i'm sure the z screw was a different pitch to the x and y. I've spoken to Dinasblu and hopefully sorted it over the phone, if not i'm popping in tomorrow to have a look.

JAZZCNC
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
i've set this machine up before and i'm sure the z screw was a different pitch to the x and y. I've spoken to Dinasblu and hopefully sorted it over the phone, if not i'm popping in tomorrow to have a look.

Ok then over to you captain, he's in good hands.:thumsup:

i2i
02-07-2012, 05:20 PM
the odd thing is how it changed from the original setting.

dinasblu
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
So are you saying it's been working OK then suddenly done this.?

If yes has it just done it without any changes to Mach.? By that I mean not changing any motor tuning settings or any thing.?

Can you post the G-code file so can take a look.

Edit: Can you give following details of machine so we can verify steps per is correct.

Thread pitch or turns per inch along with any ratio if geared.
Drive model and micro stepping set to IE 400,800,1600 etc could show on drives as 1/2 or 1/4 - 1/8 etc or 4X 8X 10X
Confirm steppers are 1.8deg (200 steps per rev)

Thank you everyone who replied to me with your advice and ideas. I have changed the steps per in motor tuning
from 160 to 320 and it is now cutting to the required depth. Thank you once again for your help.