PDA

View Full Version : Help required for a CNC machine

oosk2k6
25-07-2012, 01:22 PM
yo i have acquired a number of relatively new and unused CNC 3-axis and 5-axis milling machines, but with no software. the machines are designed and manufactured by HME Technology, their model number is R50.

i have only used CNC machines that have their software pre-installed. i understand that there is a two-part software process, one program converts the STL file into g-code data and the other program feeds this data into the machine. i have tried mach3, lazycam, deskproto and after 5 minutes i realised that it obviously isn't plug-and-play and i had no idea what i was doing for the initial setup.

could any of you guys post some insights or something that would enable me to get the machines up and running please?

cheers and mucho appreciata!

p.s. one of the milling machines is shown below

irving2008
25-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi there and welcome...

A quick Google suggests HME Technology is an educational/small systems supplier so these would originally have come as a complete setup with PC/Software etc. The R50 is no longer listed as far as I can see and a quick google gets nothing back either :( . Without knowing more about it connectivity, etc. its hard to give exact answers. generally you'll need a program like MAch3 to drive the positioning system, but configuring that needs some info about the internals of the box...or some experience and trial and error.... once thats working then the rest is relatively easy...

From the picture I'd say these are low end machines for primarily plastics/engraving or light alloy use rather than anything more industrial.

JAZZCNC
25-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Can you take some pics of the electronics side of things.?

From these we will be able to tell if it uses's any bespoke boards etc that may need custom software or if run the mill CNC stuff we can make work with control software that's available like MACH 3.
Like Irving says when the control side is sorted the rest is easy and any CAD/CAM program will give G-code to use.

The clearer the pics the easier/quicker it will be so take good ones. Also if there are any model numbers or specs on the motors post them has well.

Between us we will get them moving I'm sure.?

oosk2k6
26-07-2012, 07:15 PM
awesome cheers for the replies guys, i shall go thoroughly photograph all its electronics etc tomorrow :)

cheers again.

oosk2k6
30-07-2012, 02:48 PM
yo, sorry it took a while to post the photos but the site went down on friday and i was away over the weekend. anyway, it turns out that all of the machines I have are 3-axis. here are the indepth photos of one of the R50 machines in Dropbox (the forums won't let me attach multiple files..):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qybvp3be5jbblet/3XNS6N_SRr
(https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qybvp3be5jbblet/3XNS6N_SRr)
I have one more R50, a smaller CNC miller, and an open CNC miller, that might require the same set-up process as the first R50?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/avc3a29o4lj69w0/tMQjz-sXVX

cheers

P.S. dropbox is still uploading the images, should be done in 30 minutes.

JAZZCNC
30-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Looks like a bespoke control board with built in drivers that use's PClathe software by German company called HSE. Looking at the Dongle it's very old version has well.? a quick google shows they don't do it anymore and they are at V15 of the current software called Windreh.!!

Personally I'd be converting these machines to a modern set of drives and use control software like Mach3. The PSU could be re-used.

The red box is just a safety interlock relay controlling signals so the machine won't start with door open probably.? This could be re-used.

irving2008
30-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Yes, I concur... Only sensible option is to strip the control box out, replace with modern drives. Likely the steppers could be reused, though these are very low performance, high inductance ones. And the supply to the motors is only 24V judging by the toroid... so not sure you'd want to reuse the PSU as you'd probably replace it with an eBay 36v jobby. The Bosch router is only 600W. This is definiately a plastics and light wood router... probably good for PCB milling if you have time to spare...

JAZZCNC
30-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Don't think he'll need the new PSU Irving that 24V is AC before being rectified so will 34VDC ish.!!

oosk2k6
30-07-2012, 04:34 PM
yeah the red box is the interlock. what router would i need to replace the Bosch 600w one with in order to mill aluminium or possibly steel? i'm right in thinking that a router that can mill metal will easily carve through plastic and wood? also, how much do you guys reckon it'll cost to replace the control box with modern tech?

cheers

JAZZCNC
30-07-2012, 04:47 PM
No that machine won't cut aluminium or steel very well at all no matter what spindle it's got on it. . . It's a light duty school machine used for plastics and wood.

The problem comes form machines design and lack of strength.? Cutting even aluminium requires a very strong machine and steel takes it to another level.

The cost for good drives not these cheap Chinese all-in-one will be around £40-45 each axis then £15-20 for a breakout board. You can probably get it all the lot for approx £150 on Ebay with a bit of looking.
New steppers would make these machines much better and they will be around £25 each.

Again with bit of savy shopping you may get all lot for £200-220.?

irving2008
30-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Don't think he'll need the new PSU Irving that 24V is AC before being rectified so will 34VDC ish.!!True, but only 3A. Might be marginal with better steppers...

irving2008
30-07-2012, 05:45 PM
The only machine there that'll manage aluminium is the F1200. It has a 1.4Kw spindle and is good for up to 16mm milling cutters. Slightly bigger than an X3 in size, but looks in a bit of a state. Belt driven ballscrews and low spec steppers on a 38v supply according to the wabeco/emco documentation, 500mm x 110mm traverse. Will need a good strip down and clean and new drive controllers + PC.