PDA

View Full Version : REBUILD: Blomqvist lathe rebuild



Web Goblin
25-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi all.
I got myself a second hand Blomqvist lathe a while ago and have gotten round to the rebuild stage on it. Heres a pic of the headstock end minus the guard before any work was started.




6420

Earlier this year I had stripped the gearbox down and had some new gears made for it to get it working properly again. Some of them were quite badly worn and one was slightly mangled. I think it had not been fully engaged at some point.

6415
The gearbox has been rebuilt and has been tested as working fine. I have stripped down most of the remaining parts now and cleaned the grease and crap from them and scraped the loose paint from some of the parts. I also have a couple of bags of bits that I need to make sure I dont lose somewhere.


6412641164186416

I also had some problems with the apron. The power feed for the cross slide was not engaging so I have also stripped this down and fixed it and reassemble it ready for painting


6417
I did find a problem with the compound rest base. At some point the thread for the base clamp has been stripped so this had to be replaced with a recoil. Hopefully this will be ok.



64146413
The rest of the parts ready for cleaning then paint.


6421


The base and bed.

6419

Cleaning the crap out of the bed. There was quite a bit of it jammed inside the bed under the headstock.


64226423

I will be painting it a different colour from the original green, it will be a blue/grey I think.
Hopefully this will be a bit quicker than my router build.
I will post some more photos as work continues.

rnr107
26-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Lots of the mechanical bits looks like Boxford's... :-) This should be fun!

Web Goblin
26-07-2012, 10:29 PM
The Boxford and the Blomqvist are both copies of the South Bend. It is very similar to the boxford and I believe quite a few of the boxford parts will fit the Blomqvist as well.

Web Goblin
06-09-2012, 09:09 PM
I have done a bit of work on this mainly repainting at the moment. Quite a few parts have been undercoated but I have managed to get the enamel coat on the base and tray. The photos show the undercoat and one coat of enamel on the base.
A second coat of enamel has been applied but I dont have a photo at the moment.
My Centec 2A has arrived so I need to extract me finger and get this done so I can get started on the Centec.



67326733

jonnydeen
06-09-2012, 09:25 PM
looking good!

there's something so satisfying about seeing a crusty old machine given a lease of new life

looking forward to seeing a rebuild thread for your 2A, il be doing one for my no2 when i finish the boxford

Lee Roberts
06-09-2012, 09:46 PM
looking good!

there's something so satisfying about seeing a crusty old machine given a lease of new life

looking forward to seeing a rebuild thread for your 2A, il be doing one for my no2 when i finish the boxford

I agree, dont own a lathe myself but would love a project like this that is "doable" to the end. Keep up the good work Goblin im also following with intrest, when i grow up i may also follow the same path rather than buy a modern unit :).

.Me

AdCNC
06-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Looking good bud, im in the middle of a lathe rebuild i got the lathe of ebay. i didnt take any pics of the strip down. but heres a pic of it before and when i am now with it!
Before
6734
So far..
6735

rnr107
07-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Looking good bud, im in the middle of a lathe rebuild i got the lathe of ebay. i didnt take any pics of the strip down. but heres a pic of it before and when i am now with it!

Now that is a different ball game mate ! :-) Colchester ! I'd love to have one of these... But no room for that unfortunatly.... :-(

Web Goblin
07-09-2012, 08:42 AM
The colchester is a great bit of kit. I cant get one of them in either:-(

Web Goblin
21-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Right I have managed to get some time on the lathe and things are going well albeit a bit slow.

69366937

Most of the headstock has been refitted as is the tailstock.
Apron is back on but I am waiting on the paint to dry to get the rear support fitted and get it set up again.