PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Woodturning lathe project

dopamine
29-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi folks

I need custom desgined newel posts with a diameter of approx 100mm and length of approx 800mm.
Ideally, I'd prefer these posts to have two motise joints before they are cut to shape.
I've been in search for a cnc woodturning lathe but the prices are crazy!
Can any1 help?

motoxy
29-07-2012, 05:26 PM
This could be done on a cnc router with a 4 (rotary) axis. How many posts are you thinking of as it may be quicker just to turn them on a manual lathe.

Bruce

dopamine
29-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Hello
Yeah, its possible to do this on a cnc r axis.
Well i need an initial order of 20 posts. Will it be possible to replicate these on a manual lathe?

motoxy
29-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Depends on the complexity of the item. Copy lathes are not uncommon and were designed specifically for work like this. have you got a design that we can see?

Web Goblin
29-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Replicating these on a manual lathe can be done but you will need to find a very good turner. A copy lathe would be the way to go to get accurate copies. Any differences in the copies would be noticeable when the posts are close together.

boldford
31-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi folks

I need custom desgined newel posts with a diameter of approx 100mm and length of approx 800mm.
Ideally, I'd prefer these posts to have two motise joints before they are cut to shape.
I've been in search for a cnc woodturning lathe but the prices are crazy!
Can any1 help?
From your request I can only assume the mortices are to be in a circular section of the newel. If they are to be in a square portion, as is usual, I'd recommend the mortices be chopped out after the turning is complete.
How many are needed and what material?

dopamine
16-03-2013, 12:37 PM
From your request I can only assume the mortices are to be in a circular section of the newel. If they are to be in a square portion, as is usual, I'd recommend the mortices be chopped out after the turning is complete.
How many are needed and what material?

I need an initial order of about 20.