PDA

View Full Version : buying cheap from ebay

cjpwart
07-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi guys I am looking for a cheap router to get me started.
I do mostly 2D and engraving work in wood but would like to get into 3D machining in the future.
I have found this machine on ebay, CNC 3040 ROUTER ENGRAVER DRILLING / MILLING MACHINE a4 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-3040-ROUTER-ENGRAVER-DRILLING-MILLING-MACHINE-a4-/290609989502?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Weldin g_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item43a9b4877e) has anyone had experiences of this type of machine?
At present I have limited access to a Techsoft/Roland EGX300 with 2D design and use Rhino for CAD but find the bed dim limiting (320 x 240)
Cheers
Chris

John S
07-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Do a search on 3040 router on this site.
there has been a few threads about this machine of late.

JAZZCNC
07-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I've had the misfortune to have repair one and they are rubbish.!
The electronics are cheap junk, wiring is low quality rubbish, spindle is a toy just waiting to die with so much run-out it's a joke.
The frame is ok-ish regards strength but use's cheap bearings and linear components like plastic Lead-nut on very poor low quality acme screws so will wear quickly.

Compared to a Roland.!! . . Well to be honest it just won't compare.? The Rowland will knock it into next week in every way.

The cutting area isn't that much greater anyway it's only 65mm in X and 35mm in Y axis so save your money and buy or build something better is my advice.!!

cjpwart
08-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the advice, ive scoured the forums and concluded that with my limited knowledge a second hand machine of better quality would be the way to go. I saw a Boxford A3HSR go for £510 the other day but I didnt bid on it cause it didnt come with the software to run it and couldnt find an alternative package (Boxford were shut for the holidays and aparently arnt interested unless your a school).
I have 2D design so will look for a used Roland.
Thanks

cjpwart
08-08-2012, 12:17 AM
I have found a Roland MDX 40 for £1800 I am now thinking of getting this