PDA

View Full Version : PMDX-122 Breakout Board Reviews

andy0202
11-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering what your experiences are with the PMDX-122 (http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-122/) Breakout board and in general is it worth forking out that little bit extra for a decent breakout board or will a simple one suffice?

It will be used in conjunction with either leadshine or gecko digital stepper drivers.

It would also be interesting to have other suggestions. The PMDX looks a little more refined than the CNC4PC C11 (http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=161) which is the reason I am considering it.

Thanks
Andy

JAZZCNC
11-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering what your experiences are with the PMDX-122 (http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-122/) Breakout board and in general is it worth forking out that little bit extra for a decent breakout board or will a simple one suffice?

Not got personal hands on experience of the board but my good mate Audio Andy does and I know from him it's a great bit of kit. Also know thru other forums and Esp the yahoo Mach forum where you find some very knowledgeable and experienced engineers it's considered one of, if not the best BOB's around.! The guy who makes it very very helpfull and knows his stuff so back up is second to none.

Again if you have the money I wouldn't hesitate and with all the good things I've heard pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

andy0202
11-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Thats great Jazz,

You've just made up my mind.

Thanks
Andy

audioandy
11-08-2012, 02:53 PM
You will not regret spending the money,the quality of the boards is first class.

I also purchased the speed control board to control my VFD, it all plugs in together to make it all neat and compact and to top it all, it has worked faultlessly.

IN-WondeR
11-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Most of the PMDX products are well thought through, and well constructed. I have used a couple of these on builds in the past, I have however tried a korean driveboard, which I found a bit better. It came with speed controller built into it. And now they have made a model, which can be built together directly with a smoothstepper also.

But all in all, the PMDX products are very good products.

m_c
11-08-2012, 09:33 PM
As a CNC4PC bob owner, buy the PMDX.
I've never seen any bad comments about PMDX stuff, however I can't say the same about CNC4PC and have experienced their rubbish quality control.

John S
11-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I've never seen any bad comments about PMDX stuff, however I can't say the same about CNC4PC and have experienced their rubbish quality control.

LOL :disillusionment:

Very true, used to buy loads of these and also Sieg fitted them into the factory CNC machines, loads of problems, chips not fitted correctly, pins bent under etc.

Is it SO hard to make a breakout board, look on the CNC4PC site and they list about 18 different models.

Why 18 ?? it's not rocket science, one board with dip switch options can do anything you need as regards relays, spindle control etc.

What is annoying though is the onus is on the buyer to sort the problems out, I have done literally hundreds of miles at my expense to sort fooking breakout board problems that are down to design or manufacturing errors.

audioandy
11-08-2012, 10:13 PM

And that's why I purchased the PMDX, had more problems with the CNC4PC it just had to go!

andy0202
12-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Well I am certainly glad I asked the question here first. The PDMX-122 is on its way!