PDA

View Full Version : Oops, I just bought this....

irving2008
23-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Retails for $2500, its virtually brand new and looks immaculate... so I put in a speculative last second bid well below what I was expecting it to go for (around £800)... and it didn't... :tan: I think I got a bargain...

somebody tell me I didn't get carried away...

John S
23-08-2012, 12:27 AM
What is it, make that is ?

irving2008
23-08-2012, 12:29 AM
MAXNC 10, complete with 4th Axis, collet set, vice and chuck... plus soundproof enclosure

I know its not heavy duty, but will easily do PCBs and plastic parts and some light ali work.. (they say steel in the adverts but only if you like watching paint dry)

John S
23-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Dump the software and use Mach, the MaxNC software is the absolute pits.

irving2008
23-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Dump the software and use Mach, the MaxNC software is the absolute pits.
What about the machine tho? lol

John S
23-08-2012, 12:52 AM
What about the machine tho? lol

Machine isn't bad, it's two steps up from a Sherline, one step up from a Taig and 37 steps down from a proper machine :nightmare:

irving2008
23-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Hi praise indeed from you John ;)

I wanted something small that could do plastic bits and pcbs quicker (in setup terms) and easier than the MD30 could (once I finish CNCing it, whenever that is) and its probably more accurate at the moment too, I need to get the XY dovetails looked at and potentially remachined...

Lee Roberts
23-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Wow i looked at that myself with 58mins to go!

Looks like it will be nice little machine for you, will keep my eye out for the mach conversion.

.Me

Fivetide
23-08-2012, 02:24 PM
That was my other choice on ebay well bought young Sir :) dear god we could have ended up a bidding war .. dohh!

irving2008
23-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Wow i looked at that myself with 58mins to go!

Looks like it will be nice little machine for you, will keep my eye out for the mach conversion.

.Me

It was the 4th axis that swung it... apart from PCB I have some ideas about building a quadcopter I designed a while back,. It uses delrin or similar spars with integral motor mounts and needs a 4th axes to machine them in one operation (yes you could do some on mill, some on lathe). Also I think this could double as a 3D printer with an extruder mounted in the spindle collet and a heat bed on the table, that way I get 2 machines in the space of one... and this has the Z-space that a CNC-router of the same footprint wouldn't have.

Doesn't need a MACH conversion as such, its a straight parallel port connection and I already have MACH3 and EMC2 on a dual boot Pentium 4, so just needs a config. But going to drive it from my Pi too...

That was my other choice on ebay well bought young Sir :) dear god we could have ended up a bidding war .. dohh!I did wonder... I only saw it and jumped in with 15min to go... a very quick google suggested it was worth more than what was currently bid and so I bid some way below what I thought it'd go for... I was quite surprised when I won! Got a nice perpex box with coolant tray to go with it which isn't in the pics. Will be picking it up next couple of weeks... TBH what you picked up is a better bet for the sort of stuff you'll be doing I suspect, larger work area, but this is fine for my needs and if not, well it'll go back on eBay and I'll not lose a lot on it i reckon, esp as it'll now be in London.

Fivetide
23-08-2012, 05:11 PM
but this is fine for my needs and if not, well it'll go back on eBay and I'll not lose a lot on it i reckon, esp as it'll now be in London.

Exactly my thoughts I set a limit because I thought well at least I can put backl on ebay with hopefully the table level and get most of my money back.And as you said the work area for the Black Cat was almost perfect for waht I need. But i was really tempted because of the 3d possibiltys ..still think yours was a much better bargain I thought it would go for a shed load more than it did, guess no one was looking for CNC's this week lol

Robin Hewitt
23-08-2012, 10:40 PM
It looks strangely like someone has painted the bed :very_drunk:

I've never seen that before, most odd.

Still looks like a lorra lorra kit for £800, well shopped!

irving2008
23-08-2012, 11:34 PM
It looks strangely like someone has painted the bed :very_drunk:

I've never seen that before, most odd.

Still looks like a lorra lorra kit for £800, well shopped!
Nope, its anodized blue.. sadly there are a couple of scratches in the anodizing

Thanks Robin, actually went for £686!

Hmmm, just seen an MD30 on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARCO-MINOR-MILL-DRILLING-MACHINE-WITH-ACCESSORIES-/290761521360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43b2bcb8d0)like mine currently at £510 and 2 days to go...

Robin Hewitt
23-08-2012, 11:53 PM
They are running aluminium against what? Cast iron? I used to have a Kawasaki with the cam shaft bearings simply cut into the cylinder head so it does work... if you pump in enough oil :beer:

John S
24-08-2012, 08:46 AM
That anodising is hard anodising and is quite acceptable. It looks like they buy a lot of stuff in from Taig and then go their own way.
the bed section is from Tail as in the spindle cartridge but the head casting is their own. The collets are special to Taig. Lester Caine carries these in the UK.

Robin Hewitt
24-08-2012, 10:58 AM
"hard anodising" meaning they boiled it after applying the dye?

Fitting a squirrel cage motor with Vee belting looks like an admirable improvement. I don't like noisy machines. I just drew up a spindle with a 1/4 hp Brooky 2800 rpm motor, but I'm having trouble locating vee belt pulleys below Z, can get the belts but not the pulleys.