PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Greetings!

paul.camilleri
29-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Hello everyone,

I'd Just like to introduce myself. I'm a software developer with an interest in CNC. I've converted my brick build shed (12' x 8') into a modest workshop with lathe, milling machine etc. I'm now intent on building my own CNC router from scratch as well as the (PIC based) electronics. Hope to talk to you good folks as time goes on.

Best regards

Paul Camilleri

irving2008
29-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Welcome Paul

Sounds like you have about the same space I do.

We have a number of home-built routers/mills here..

What lathe & mill do you have?

Where abouts in the UK.. feeling its north, Yorks maybe?

Would be interested in your PIC solution as I have been playing around with similar ideas

regards,
Irving...

paul.camilleri
29-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Irving,

Thanks. Im based in (sunny?) Dagenham but originally hail from Canada. On the PIC stuff, I'm working with the 16F877A using Proteus+MPLab+SourceBoost C+asm. Got fed up with manually drilling PCB's for different projects and looked arround for a mechanised solution. Came across CNC - and their crazy prices too! Researched a lot and decided to build my own. Going for a moving gantry design that will drill but also hold a plasma cutter. Anyway, that's the journey I'm on.

Got to say, during my research/reading, I've come across many folks with a lot of knowledge and it reminds me of the days I was mentored back in '77 (I was just 17 then) on Sprint Collet lathes, Monforts etc. It's the same straight talking kind of people I held in regard then as I find myself still learning from now.

Best regards

Paul C.

irving2008
29-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Irving,

Thanks. Im based in (sunny?) Dagenham but originally hail from Canada. On the PIC stuff, I'm working with the 16F877A using Proteus+MPLab+SourceBoost C+asm. Got fed up with manually drilling PCB's for different projects and looked arround for a mechanised solution. Came across CNC - and their crazy prices too! Researched a lot and decided to build my own. Going for a moving gantry design that will drill but also hold a plasma cutter. Anyway, that's the journey I'm on.

Got to say, during my research/reading, I've come across many folks with a lot of knowledge and it reminds me of the days I was mentored back in '77 (I was just 17 then) on Sprint Collet lathes, Monforts etc. It's the same straight talking kind of people I held in regard then as I find myself still learning from now.

Best regards

Paul C.Paul,

Thats the reason I'm building (one project amongst many) a small router as I have a number of electronics projects I want to do but hate etching PCBs (and my wife isnt that keen on me doing it in the house anyway) and i dont have the funds for manufactured prototype boards.

Would be interested in discussing your PIC controller ideas at some point.

rgds
Irving...

Lee Roberts
30-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Welcome to the forums Paul !

Looking forward to seeing your build logs and such come to life !

Cheers,
:beer: