PDA

View Full Version : Fancy a screw? Identify this leaky biatch!

Lee Roberts
29-08-2012, 09:47 PM
So there is massive puddle in front of our washing machine, great it’s what 3 months old?

So I pull it out, grab a towel and dry everything off, can’t see anything leaking from under the machine, “alright at tha back?” nope splashes all over the back of the machine...humm...

So, while drying it off I get squirted in the face by a rusty screw living in the below.

My question is does anyone know what that rusty screw/hole is there for in the first place? The only purpose I can see it having is stopping the closer from fully closing or locking it when fully closed, but why though?

Luckily I’ve got quite a decent selection of stainless, a quick hack saw got me the length I needed and I also had an O Ring the right size...Few...She’s no longer wet... :yahoo:

But what’s it for???

.me

richie00boy
29-08-2012, 10:07 PM
May be an air bleed to allow the T adapter to start to syphon off the water?

Lee Roberts
29-08-2012, 10:14 PM
May be an air bleed to allow the T adapter to start to syphon off the water?

Yea i guess it could be, or is it ? Its an outside Tap Kit from B'n'Q (http://www.diy.com/search/outside%20tap%20kit/PlumbSure-Garden-Tap-Kit-11478138) for anyone that dosnt know.

m.marino
29-08-2012, 10:28 PM
May have been a pressure relief at one time but other that that or a bleed valve no idea.

Michael

Peter.
30-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Yea i guess it could be, or is it ? Its an outside Tap Kit from B'n'Q (http://www.diy.com/search/outside%20tap%20kit/PlumbSure-Garden-Tap-Kit-11478138) for anyone that dosnt know.

I was just talking to a workmate two days ago who bought one of those for his outside tap. He screwed it into the copper pipe and it sealed up great - only problem was, when he opened the tap, gas came out!

Tenson
30-08-2012, 03:27 AM
Lol! Did he turn off the 'water' when he was fixing the tap in?

Web Goblin
30-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Drain screw to remove water so that it dont freeze up in winter.

irving2008
30-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Drain screw to remove water so that it dont freeze up in winter.Prize to that man... correct answer. Or air vent to allow water to drain if the outside tap is below the take-off point as mine is. Not that I usually bother though I did last winter when it actually got cold enough to freeze the hot water pipe in the wall!

Lee Roberts
30-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Drain screw to remove water so that it dont freeze up in winter.

Yea also my thinking, cant be for anything else.