PDA

View Full Version : M542 wiring

manofgresley
02-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Hi all.

I have started to build my CNC control cabinet, I have come to wire the M542's to the Breakout Board, i have got myself confused again.
The Breakout Board has screw connections labelled XN, XD, XS & XE with Y & Z prefix as well, i understand that these represent each Axis.
The M542 is marked Pul+ (+5v) ~ Pul- (Pul) ~ Dir+ (=5v) ~ Dir- (Dir) ~ ENA+ (=5V) ~ ENA- (ENA) so 4 into 6 don't go, can anyone help with the correct wiring scheme please.

Regards

Ray

JAZZCNC
02-09-2012, 04:32 PM
ok try here ya go.

XN = negative so take a wire to pul - dir - En -

XD = direction so take to dir +

XS = step so take pul +

EN = enable so take En + ( This can be left unconnected and you do connect then the software enable pins need to be set up correctly else the drives wont turn on. Most leave unconnected)

Now this is very important don't jump the power wires between drives.? By that I mean not take a positive wire from PSU to first drive then jump from that to next and so on. Always fetch the wires direct to each drive from either the PSU or a bus bar type arrangement.

See pic.

manofgresley
02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi Jazz

Many thanks for the diagram, can you explain a little better about pin XS to EN+, are you saying i can connect up or do not connect up, sorry for my misunderstanding

Regards

Ray

JAZZCNC
02-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi Jazz

Many thanks for the diagram, can you explain a little better about pin XS to EN+, are you saying i can connect up or do not connect up, sorry for my misunderstanding

Regards
Ray

You can leave the EN pins off if you like.!
It's just the enable pin that disables or enables the drives step and direction signals depending on if it sees a signal from the control software.
If left off then it presumes every things ok and works. If it's connected then the control software sends a signal to the enable pin when in E-stop condition which disables the drives step and direction signals and movement stops. This is why it's important that if you connect the pins the software is set in such away that it only sends the signal when in e-stop condition.
Basicly it just works like a NC relay with it's contacts controlling the step and direction signals and when the software sends a signal the coils open and the contacts open breaking the signal.!

The advantage to using the Enable pin is that when the machine goes into E-stop condition the movement signals stops but power is still left on to the motors so the holding torque to the motors still remains. This is helpfull for heavy Axis like Z axis or mill heads that may drop when power is removed.

The XS is just Step pin and nothing to do with EN. XD is the direction pin and same nothing to do with EN.
The only thing they share in common is they all go to a common negative and is why you can use the XN (DC negative often called COM) for all negatives.!

manofgresley
03-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi Jazz

Many, many thanks. I understand now, thanks for the offer of a phone call, but my hearing is sometimes very bad on the phone, and it is embarrassing to keep asking someone to keep repeating themselves.

Best Regards

Ray