PDA

View Full Version : Any CNC nuts in London - here on holiday

Greolt
09-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Title says it all. From Australia,

I have a converted SX3, small benchtop engraver/router, and a larger R&P router. Use Mach3, Vcarve Pro, Sheetcam, among others.

I'm into the last week and a half of my time in London and was wondering if there are any other nuts like me around. I have a car.

Getting bored looking at museums and such. :)

Thought I might go to the modeling exhibition on the 16th Jan. Somewhere here in London.

Greg

irving2008
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Its at Alexandra Palace, site of the original London TV broadcasting transmitter. Great views over London, some lovely parkland to walk in and an engineering exhibition (entrance £8.50) - what more could you want!

John S
10-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Greg,
Not based in London but in Nottingham, about 120 miles north but you are free to visit if you get the chance to travel.

Beaver CNC mill, Bridgeport CNC mill, Tecno-Isel router, Sieg KX1, Sieg KX3, Sieg KC4 lathe, X3 CNC, Denford Orac CNC lathe. mach 3 user and developer and V Carve user.

[ God have I really got all this crap lying around ? ]

John S.

Greolt
12-01-2009, 12:15 PM
John

Thanks for the offer. PM sent

Greg

Lee Roberts
12-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Welcome to the site Greolt !

Greolt
13-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome Lee. Though I will only be a short time visitor. Back home in about a week. Can't wait for the sunshine. :)

I think your local forum is a good thing. We have a similar one in Australia that is a sub forum of a woodworking forum.

It is good to be able to share local knowledge and encouragement beyond what CNCzone provides.

John S. I have sent you another PM.

Greg

Lee Roberts
14-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the welcome Lee. Though I will only be a short time visitor. Back home in about a week. Can't wait for the sunshine. :)

I think your local forum is a good thing. We have a similar one in Australia that is a sub forum of a woodworking forum.

It is good to be able to share local knowledge and encouragement beyond what CNCzone provides.

John S. I have sent you another PM.

Greg

Your welcome mate, i'm with you on the sunshine (its grim up north, uk).

You are also welcome to be part of the community when you go home, feel free to invite your pal's to. My intentionis for the site is to give uk machinists a place they can call "home" and as you have already found out, non uk members are more then welcome to. :beer:

Greolt
15-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Well today I visited John at his Aladdin's cave in Nottingham.

He was gracious enough to spend a couple of hours chatting with some strange bloke from Australia.

Thanks John.

Also called in on the boys at Vectric over near Redditch. They were also generous with their time to chat with me.

Thanks Tony, Mark and Brian.

Friendly lot these poms. :D

Greg

Lee Roberts
15-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Thats fantastic news Greg, when do you go home mate? Will you be gracing any others befor your departure ?

I hope you pluged the site for us with the guys @ Vectric ! ?, i'm just looking at the vectric CNC software/website now.

They do fully functional trial versions of Aspire, VCarve pro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D and also Cut2D, worth a look guys.

They have busy forums as well, may have to get myself registered !

Greolt
15-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Thats fantastic news Greg, when do you go home mate? Will you be gracing any others before your departure ?

No one else but John stuck their hand up. :)

I will be attending the North London modeling show on the weekend.

Wednesday we jump on the red eye.

Greg

John S
15-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Well it was nice meeting Greg. It was a bit like the United Nations this week as a guy called Tom Martin who used to post on the old Rec.crafts.metalworking called in on Tuesday unannounced and we had a good natter for a while and then went down the pub.

If you had come later Greg we could have done the same. :D

Anyway have a good time at ally pally show and a decent trip back.

John S.