PDA

View Full Version : Band sawmill using trailer (caravan?) parts

vtcnc
14-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Here are some photos of a sawmill I built several years ago. Log capacity is 28" dia. and bed length is 20 feet. I can extend that with more sections, but generally use an Alaskan mill for long timbers. I built my house with lumber cut from salvaged downed trees on my property left by a really incompetent logging company, the prior owner. The mill took 2 weeks to build and cost about $800. It will cut a 18" x 16' long pine board in about 50 seconds. Hardwood somewhat slower. I run the governed motor at 2700 RPM, though it is rated at 3600.

The fixed spindle is a trailer spindle. The drive is a go-kart axle and hub assembly. Driven wheels are trailer wheels and tires. The engine is a snow blower horizontal shaft Subaru-Robin 10 Hp type. Large reduction pulley is 2 sheave 15", and was a surplus item found for $15. The guides are made of 3 ball bearings. Two smaller sets that the flat of the blade rides against, and a larger bearing that the back of the blade contacts. The blade guard is a trailer fender. The vertical adjustment is made by a used boat trailer winch.

I also built a log arch out of a mobile home axle and a bent heavy steel tube that I found at a scrapyard -- I think it was once part of the derrick for a tow truck. I couldn't straighten it, even with heat so I faced it up. I guess it is a log arch in two senses of the phrase!

boldford
14-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Do you tension the blade by inflating the tyres (tires) a bit more?:witless:

vtcnc
14-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Hello Boldford!

That's a very frequent question. But no, the tires are maintained at constant pressure. The non-driven spindle has adjustments for both axial angle, and distance from the driven wheel (blade tracking and blade tensioning), just like an ordinary bandsaw.

TrickyCNC
15-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Very interesting ! I'll have to look into that and build me one :)

cakalovac
19-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Here are some photos of a sawmill I built several years ago. Log capacity is 28" dia. and bed length is 20 feet. I can extend that with more sections, but generally use an Alaskan mill for long timbers. I built my house with lumber cut from salvaged downed trees on my property left by a really incompetent logging company, the prior owner. The mill took 2 weeks to build and cost about $800. It will cut a 18" x 16' long pine board in about 50 seconds. Hardwood somewhat slower. I run the governed motor at 2700 RPM, though it is rated at 3600.

The fixed spindle is a trailer spindle. The drive is a go-kart axle and hub assembly. Driven wheels are trailer wheels and tires. The engine is a snow blower horizontal shaft Subaru-Robin 10 Hp type. Large reduction pulley is 2 sheave 15", and was a surplus item found for $15. The guides are made of 3 ball bearings. Two smaller sets that the flat of the blade rides against, and a larger bearing that the back of the blade contacts. The blade guard is a trailer fender. The vertical adjustment is made by a used boat trailer winch.

I also built a log arch out of a mobile home axle and a bent heavy steel tube that I found at a scrapyard -- I think it was once part of the derrick for a tow truck. I couldn't straighten it, even with heat so I faced it up. I guess it is a log arch in two senses of the phrase!
bravo bravo

cakalovac
19-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Respect sir my name is Mahmutagic Nermin and I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina, on the website I found a picture of your machine for cutting wood, and I wanted to do something like that but I need drawings or sketches of your machine,

Thanks and best regards from Bosnia

Web Goblin
19-12-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm more impressed by the fact that you built your own house!! Awesome job.

GEOFFREY
19-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Fantastic!!! Well done. G

martin54
19-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Yep, another one is is impressed with not just the saw but the house as well. Thanks for sharing.

Iwant1
19-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Amazing, so not only have you built your own house, you're dropping trees, sawing the timber to size then using them to build it. The almost free house.