PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hello

alex wight
21-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi my name is alex wight from lochgelly in fife scotland. I,m in the process of building my my own machine with the help of a friend.

i look forward to gaining info from here,

Thank you in advance, alex.

martin54
21-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Welcome Alex, I'm new here myself but already had some great help, I'm just down the road from you in Inverkeithing.

alex wight
22-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Welcome Alex, I'm new here myself but already had some great help, I'm just down the road from you in Inverkeithing.

Hello Martin. I,m just in the process of getting set up. A mate of mine in Thornton is helping me get all the bits and bobs to get my own machine. I want to be doing small projects that i can sell on, to boost my income. It seems expensive just now, but i know i,ll get that back, and also enjoy it. I used to operate a sabre 404 when i was at Shadow Blinds, and had it singing and dancing, so i,m looking forward to this.

regards alex.

martin54
22-09-2012, 11:19 AM
A;ex, if you are building your own machine then my advice would be to ask the guys on the forum for advice before you start, they are very helpful & will keep you straight, maybe save you some time & money in the process. Only been here a short while myself so can't help personally but wish you luck.
What are you hoping to achieve with the machine as this will make a big difference to the build, that much I have learnt already lol

TrickyCNC
22-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi Alex

there seem to be a large number of members from Scottland on here !

As martin siad, let us know your budget, and what you intened to make with it when it's done.
I.E wooden shapes or signs, or milling alluminium or brass etc. etc. , Vinyl lettering / decal cutting ?
and also what size :)

best to get a good plan, before you start.

Cheers
Richard

martin54
22-09-2012, 11:34 AM
It's a take over bid Richard lol

Funny thing is that most of the people in Scotland don't seem to be Scottish from what I have read on here. I was born in London, can't get much less Scottish than that lol.

JAZZCNC
22-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I was born in London, can't get much less Scottish than that lol.

Wait until you've spoken to Michael Marino I think you can . .lol

alex wight
22-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Hi Alex

there seem to be a large number of members from Scottland on here !

As martin siad, let us know your budget, and what you intened to make with it when it's done.
I.E wooden shapes or signs, or milling alluminium or brass etc. etc. , Vinyl lettering / decal cutting ?
and also what size :)

best to get a good plan, before you start.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks everyone. Ive been advised to budget for £1000, to build the machine i want. I would like to be doing wooden sculptures of some sort, name plates in plastic and brass, and if possible aluminum at some point. I,m interested in engraving as well, and as i,m part of the racing pigeon world, theres a lot of trophies that need engraved lol. Having had experience working the sabre 404, i cant wait to get my own little hobby machine up and running. I hope that helps in some way to give me guidelines/pointers.

regards alex

Fivetide
22-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Welome Alex :)

motoxy
22-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Hi Alex. I must be scottish by now as i have been here 22 years!!

BTW Does any one else think that if we could see the rest of fivetide's avatar he would have bunny ears attached to his cosy sleep suit???:joker:

martin54
22-09-2012, 06:31 PM
22 years Bruce, pah your still a tourist lol

Alex quite a bit your hoping this machine will do, have you got a design to work from?? If you have these guys will help to make sure it best suits your needs. Don't forget the sabre 404 is a commercially built machine with a heavy price tag. Not saying your machine won't be capable of doing the same just depends on getting the design right to start with & using the right components.

alex wight
22-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Cheers Martin, i wont be doing big things, just small scale stuff. the sabre was a beast, i,m just wanting a wee hobby that may bring some pocket money. The guy thats helping me is a good designer, and has made his own which is capable of doing what i want. I will be getting a water cooled spindle, instead of the kress. So hopefully in a few weeks i,ll be able to start playing lol. Thanks for your comment.

alex.

Fivetide
22-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi Alex. I must be scottish by now as i have been here 22 years!!

BTW Does any one else think that if we could see the rest of fivetide's avatar he would have bunny ears attached to his cosy sleep suit???:joker:

LMFAO !!! But no :) The picture is of Frank Wild .. one of my heros, Ernest Shackltens 2nd in command

In 1904, John Robert Francis Wild (Frank) was chosen from over 3,000 applicants to join Discovery, on Scott’s first expedition to the Antarctic. Remarkably, he served on five expeditions to Antarctica – with Scott, with Douglas Mawson and on all three expeditions led by Shackleton.

motoxy
23-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Agree. back in the days when these men really were extremely brave and went with only what they could tow or carry. I see Finnes is off again with half a village following him.

Fivetide
23-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Agree. back in the days when these men really were extremely brave and went with only what they could tow or carry. I see Finnes is off again with half a village following him.

Yeah two brand new bulldozers as well.. whats that all about ? lol