PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the normal first page has gone awry.... or is it my PC?

WandrinAndy
01-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Looks like the normal first page of the forum has gone awry.... or is it my PC?

JAZZCNC
01-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Looks like the normal first page of the forum has gone awry.... or is it my PC?

No mine is the same what's happening MODS.????

Peter.
02-10-2012, 05:42 AM
No complaint here - I didn't like that layout.

Web Goblin
02-10-2012, 06:09 AM
First page missing here as well.

motoxy
02-10-2012, 07:59 AM
I must be getting old, i dont like change. Can we have our front page back please?

martin54
02-10-2012, 09:29 AM
I must be getting old, i dont like change. Can we have our front page back please?

I don't mind change when it's for the better, some will think this is but I'm afraid I like to be able to see whats been going on when I log in so the original first page worked for me.

blackburn mark
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
ouch... its like being blind :(

m_c
02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
The sceptic in me says it so we now have to click a link that takes us to a page with lots of ads above the new posts.

blackburn mark
02-10-2012, 10:25 AM
The sceptic in me says it so we now have to click a link that takes us to a page with lots of ads above the new posts.

don't say that!... im going to have a go at being optimistic (its been a while) its just a glitch :)... quick nip n tuck n it'll all be back to business as usual :)

Jonathan
02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Not sure why it's gone, I've notified Lee so I'm sure he will sort things out. I think it has something to do with the site using excessive server resources for one of the extra features, but he's not sure which one so has removed them and will add the features back in one at a time to find out which is causing the problem.

For now you can use the 'What's New (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/activity.php)' or new post links.

JAZZCNC
02-10-2012, 04:21 PM
but he's not sure which one so has removed them and will add the features back in one at a time to find out which is causing the problem.

It'll be all that bloody Ebay rubbish. . Lol . . . . . Tell him to get is finger out It's like being back in stone age. :(

Unseeingeye
02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Ah, I just signed up because I thought the home page may be only visible for registered users, turns out that made no difference.

However you can just make use of the archive page:

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/archive/

hope that helps in the mean time.

martin54
02-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Better off registering anyway, you will learn a lot more by asking questions than you will by just reading. Not like it costs you anything & everyone seems to be quite friendly & willing to help if they can.
Be great if it could stay that way as the forum grows but that does take a lot of hard work by the moderators.

irving2008
02-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Better off registering anyway, you will learn a lot more by asking questions than you will by just reading. Not like it costs you anything & everyone seems to be quite friendly & willing to help if they can.
Be great if it could stay that way as the forum grows but that does take a lot of hard work by the moderators.

Biggest job for the moderators is getting rid of spam postings, but since we installed Spam-o-matic that seems to have done a good job of keeping it manageable. Policing the occasional spats between users isnt so much of an issue, happens from time to time and then sometimes someone throws their toys out of the pram. A little tolerance and recognition that whats written doesnt always reflect what was intended or doesnt come over in the right way is all thats needed IMHO, but it always seems to sort itself out. We've got some very experienced people on here who are willing to help; everyone has different views on the best way to do something, and there's always more than one way to do something. So you listen to whats said, try to make your own mind up and accept the odd 'I told you so' in good grace when it all goes wrong sometimes... Basically as long as people abide by the forum rules, keep things roughly on topic and accept we're all human there's not too much a moderator has to do. I used to moderate a car forum and that was a whole different ballgame lol...

WandrinAndy
02-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Biggest job for the moderators is getting rid of spam postings, but since we installed Spam-o-matic that seems to have done a good job of keeping it manageable. Policing the occasional spats between users isnt so much of an issue, happens from time to time and then sometimes someone throws their toys out of the pram. A little tolerance and recognition that whats written doesnt always reflect what was intended or doesnt come over in the right way is all thats needed IMHO, but it always seems to sort itself out. We've got some very experienced people on here who are willing to help; everyone has different views on the best way to do something, and there's always more than one way to do something. So you listen to whats said, try to make your own mind up and accept the odd 'I told you so' in good grace when it all goes wrong sometimes... Basically as long as people abide by the forum rules, keep things roughly on topic and accept we're all human there's not too much a moderator has to do. I used to moderate a car forum and that was a whole different ballgame lol...

Not entirely correct.

I'm actually humanoid.... And had to be dumbed-down in order to fit on my current assignment to this planet... Although I quite often think they overdid certain aspects of the dumbing down bit.

jcb121
02-10-2012, 09:21 PM
please change it back!

Fivetide
03-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Just wondering what happed to the old front page I liked it it was easy to see all the new threads and posts?

Jonathan
03-10-2012, 06:31 PM
See here (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/questions-problems/5160-looks-like-normal-first-page-has-gone-awry-my-pc.html)...

Fivetide
03-10-2012, 06:45 PM
See here (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/questions-problems/5160-looks-like-normal-first-page-has-gone-awry-my-pc.html)...

AHH paradox , i would have seen the other post if the front page had still been there, there would'nt be a post about it going missing if.. it was still there.. scarey stuff .. also I should have looked .. but thats why i liked the front page so I did'nt have to .. sorry :)

Peter.
03-10-2012, 06:56 PM
This makes a great first page:

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&contenttype=vBForum_Post

JAZZCNC
03-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Do we know any more to why this has changed.? Any signs of it returning soon.?

Come on Lee tell us whats happening it's obvious the majority don't like it.!!. . . . Put it back ASAP please.!!

Edit: Ah ah Bloody hell that was fast I just returned to front page after writing this and it was there. . lol

CHEERS. .:beer:

Jonathan
03-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Lee just found the problem, the auto-update rate was set too high, hence the increased server resources so he's changed it...so in the words of Douglas Adams; we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem :wink:

WandrinAndy
03-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Ah, feel at home again..... Thanks Lee.