PDA

View Full Version : I need advise again

habibuzziwa
06-10-2012, 04:52 PM
HI GUYS AM STILL HUNTING FOR AN AFFORDABLE MACHINE TO MACHINE 3D OBJECTS.
I HAVE COME ACROSS THE FOLLOWING MACHINE ON EBAY, I ASKED THE OWNER HE IS SAYING IT WAS MANUFACTURED IN 1999.
CAN ANYONE HAVE A LOOK AT IT AND ADVISE ME IF IT WILL BE A GOOD BUY

HERE IS THE LINK ON EBAY RYE QUANTUM MAXI CNC ROUTER WITH TOOL CHANGEING ANDTOOLING | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221135791796&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123)

THANKS

blackburn mark
06-10-2012, 10:40 PM
if you have some g-code of a typical part that you are looking to make i would take a trip over there and watch it in action... remember that you may be splashing a large amout of cash... you need to know if it will earn its keep (he is offering training so its sure he will acommodate you)

tool changer is a masive advantage :)

you really need to do some maths and pick a number that you can jusifiy (assuming it hits the spot on your 3D requirment and all is well with it) and go for glory

if you do go to have a look you may want to take a dti guage and check for backlash etc
might be worth posting a new thread asking for things to check for if you decide you are going over for a demo

martin54
06-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Have you checked you have the right electrical supply for that machine.

habibuzziwa
07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I have not really checked if it works on one phase electric supply because I am going to use the normal house electiv supply (1 phase)

I think I will go and see it in action, any advise of what specifically I need to check will be appreciated

martin54
07-10-2012, 12:25 PM
A lot of industrial machines are 3 phase which is why I asked. Don't take this the wrong way but have you got someone with an engineering background you could take with you? Just asking questions isn't really enough.
Take a test file with you & ask them to cut it to make sure it is capable of doing the work you require.

blackburn mark
07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I think I will go and see it in action, any advise of what specifically I need to check will be appreciated

i dont envy you at this point... its hard to know for sure what limitations and tolorence you can live with or afford to tune out of a machine and how much time and cash that would involve.

one simple test i would do is cut a circle and see how round it is with a vernier caliper... dont expect absolute perfection, 0.1mm out would have me worried... however, it is quite likely with a nip and a tuck you could tune any problems out (if it has double ball nuts for example)

it looks to have profile rails, if this is so and they have been looked after (lube and kept reasonbly clear of machine dust) they should be fine... if you throw your weight into trying to move any of the linear bearings and you get any movement (excluding travel) they are shot (id be suprised if you find any problem with the rails but its worth a look)

get him to run the auto tool change to make sure all is well with that
(bear in mind that the tool changer will need compressed air to run)

if the spindle bearings are getting noisy they will need some effort to change

battwell
07-10-2012, 02:44 PM
its virtually guaranteed to be 3 phase 380v machine. probably requires 15kw power input! so wouldnt run on a 230v home supply
(i run huge machines at home powered by a 50kw diesel generator, but i have no neighbours)
the control may or may not do 3d interpolation.
i have converted numerous big machines like this to new controls- but its very expensive and time consuming to do.
also would probably require a crane load/unload due to its weight.
just a few things to be taken into account!

habibuzziwa
07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't hv any one with engineering back ground i really don't no what to check when i go their except only cutting few samples

battwell
07-10-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't hv any one with engineering back ground i really don't no what to check when i go their except only cutting few samples

its worth doing some more research.
these machines were made for profiling jobs not 3d. the control will be analogue.
the big machines have too much inertia for nice 3d work and will struggle with the high code block rate required.
also, do you realise how big this is? probably a 12ft by 6ft footprint. but 8ft by 4ft cutting area. are you sure you need a machine of this size?

JAZZCNC
07-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I very much doubt this machine or more specific the control system can handle 3D machining. It will be mainly geared round 2D cutting IE: Cabinets, doors etc.
If so then your into either control software upgrade which I very much doubt exists and if it does then it will probably cost more than the machine OR a new more modern control system.! This machine will possibly use bespoke electronics that require you use a certain make of control, namely there own or modified version of someone else's.?
I very much doubt one is available and therefore why it's for sale.?
The other option is to do a conversion and run it from controller like Mach3 or Linux CNC but thats involved and not something I'd recommend an inexperienced user takes on.!

Also Like the others I suspect it will be 3 phase but if not then it's still going to require a very large circuit all of it's own that your property doesn't have now.?

habibuzziwa
07-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Thank u very much
You are right it is a large machine with 3 phase
It's not my size thanks once again for yr help I appreciate alot I will keep on checking

habibuzziwa
07-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Thank guys for your help after your advises, i made a call to the seller and foud ot it works on three phase and its to big for me i appreciate all your help

martin54
08-10-2012, 12:15 AM
It did say on the listing it was an 8 x 4 bed so you should really have known it was to big to start with. Just remember when your looking that the vast majority of commercial machines will be 3 phase so they aren't going to come to you ready to run if your going to work from home.

habibuzziwa
08-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks a lot

motoxy
08-10-2012, 10:08 AM
how big a 3d object are you hoping to cut? This would help with size of machine