PDA

View Full Version : dnc software

2006Nobull
08-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Has anyone had any experience with this software. Having read the product desciption I am assuming this program would act like a print driver. I could load a file created in cut 2d and then transfer it to my cnc machine without having to use my old dos cam software that keeps adjusting the settings.

irving2008
08-10-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm sure someone has, but not many, as most here have machines with the intelligence in the PC not in the machine controller. What CNC machine do you have, obviously one with a seperate built-in controller?

2006Nobull
08-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks for responding. I have an 810 personel router by Sei . I'm assuming it is capable of receiving commands directly. It does have its own control panel where I can set Z etc and can set the type of language . It can receive inputs in Sei, HPGL or DPML. I know it has a buffer. I guess it's a case of give it a go!

irving2008
08-10-2012, 09:23 AM
It seems you've been trying to sort this for over a year now. A quick blat around the forums suggests there are others in the same boat and no one has an easy answer. Its a proprietary control system and very few 'proper' CNC software recognises HPGL as a useful command language as it proprietary and limiting. DPML is even less common. I think you're on a hiding to nothing here...

I would suggest the time has come to cut your losses, and replace the SEI controller with a PC running MACH3. How much of the electronics you can use remains to be seen, however steppers etc are reusable. With some judicious ebaying it need not be too expensive. At least then you'll have full and complete control over the chain of events and the end result.

2006Nobull
08-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Apologies for not being able to thank you via the button on the forum, I don't seem to get the option on my mobile. I've been messing longer than that trying to get the machine to run and the looking for software.
I could use engravelab I know that has a post processor that will operate the machine but that's £1100 (600 in US but won't export to Uk)
I've looked at changing the electrics I think this will be around £600 plus mach3. I know this will be the only long term option as the spares are no longer available and their all integrated.
Short term I think I can muddle through with the old system and hopefully earn a little cash for the upgrade. I know it will move via hpgl 2d via a hp driver.
Worst case I can just produce the tool paths in cut2d and export them to my old cam to add the depth speeds etc.
If I get in tonight early enough I'll have a play with some dnc software and an edited post processor file from cut 2d.
Tks,Paul

martin54
09-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Paul, don't know if this is a possibility but worth an email at least. I use a program for signmaking called vinylmaster. When I first started looking into building a cnc I emailed them because there ware a number of engraving machines listed as being supported. They explained to me that some engravers used HPGL so certain engraving machines are supported. With these machines it is possible to cut straight from the program, there is a wizard for doing all the toolpath stuff in the program.
Try emailing them, they are a really helpful bunch of guys.
[email protected]

There are 3 versions of the program but for what you need I would think the lite version would be OK & that's a lot less expensive than something like engravelab.

2006Nobull
12-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi thanks for your response.
The only problem with vinylmasters is that their hpgl I am assuming will only do 2d. I'll definitely have a look though. At the moment I've bought a copy of vertic cut 2d which seems to be nice easy well thoughtout program to use. I've downloaded a free dnc program, which will output the file direct to my cnc machine without having to go through my old cam software. I can output a basic 2d profile at the moment, but need to try and modify the post processor in cut 2d to get z command.
Thanks, Paul