PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest source of linear rails and bearings in the UK?

Nealieboyee
02-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi All,
I'm just wondering where you all source your rails and bearings and other cnc parts in the UK. The cheapest i've seen to date is cnc4you.co.uk.

Any cheaper places?

Regards,
Neal

D.C.
02-11-2012, 10:20 PM
chai of linearmotionbearings2008 on ebay seems to be very highly recomended from people here and on cnczone.

Nealieboyee
02-11-2012, 10:21 PM
That stuff comes from China. I imagine the customs charges must be quite high?

njhussey
02-11-2012, 10:33 PM
You get hit for 20% vat plus the courier handling charge, still cheaper than the UK!

Nealieboyee
02-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Courier handling charge?

D.C.
02-11-2012, 10:39 PM
When you know exactly what rails/screws/bearings/end machining you need ask them for a quote and compare it to the prices you would otherwise be paying.

njhussey
02-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Courier handling charge?

Yeah whoever (DPD, UPS, DHL etc) is bringing them to you from the airport stings you for a handling/processing charge...

asbo
03-11-2012, 12:39 PM
I bought 300 quids worth of rails and ballscrews from chai and I didn't get a customs bill or courier fee or anything :). He put 63USD as the value on the customs declaration though.:adoration:

Nealieboyee
03-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah whoever (DPD, UPS, DHL etc) is bringing them to you from the airport stings you for a handling/processing charge...

Ah thanks. Forgot about people like Schenkers....

@Asbo: Thanks for the info!

I asked Chai for a quote last night and it came in at just over half the price of the UK stuff, including shipping!

Mad Professor
03-11-2012, 12:57 PM
I buy most of my parts from Chai, as of yet I have not had any fees.

Jonathan
03-11-2012, 04:40 PM
It's a bit hit and miss with the fees. Unfortunately mine don't tend to miss nowadays. The VAT is in a way fair enough, but I object to paying Fedex £10 handling fee for a no doubt automated system and a letter...

MikeyC38
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
I got mine from chai late last year and paid £17 pounds in Fedex charges BUT compared to buying the stuff in the UK, saved well over 50%. I've only had one dealing with chai but he was very responsive, changed the order for me and I got the stuff within 2 weeks, all straight and delivered ok. He was recommended by the folks on the forum here and I'm glad I listened to them!

Regards
Mike

asbo
12-12-2012, 02:55 PM
I bought 300 quids worth of rails and ballscrews from chai and I didn't get a customs bill or courier fee or anything :). He put 63USD as the value on the customs declaration though.:adoration:

Update on this: today I got a rather nasty letter from FedEx telling me off for not paying an invoice, even though I've not actually received an invoice. I'm wondering if its for the stuff I got from Chai. I've sent them an email so I guess I'll find out shortly.

wilfy
12-12-2012, 04:10 PM
ah well i was just about to comment saying i've had no extra charges, but then again i'm still waiting the second part of my order so i'll report back shortly

asbo
12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
The funny thing is this letter gives no indication of what the invoice is for or how to pay it. What's even more amusing is that it says I have to pay within 7 days to avoid further action, the letter is dated 05/12/12 and today is 12/12/12 so that's 7 days :disturbed:

I got my parcel from Chai back in October so I dunno what's going on. Maybe its not even a legit FedEx letter.

asbo
07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Well this is finally resolved. After another nasty letter which said they'd send round the debt collectors plus a few emails later, I finally got them to understand that I hadn't received an invoice. They then emailed a copy of the invoice to me and I promptly phoned the magic number and paid the damn thing.
Why couldn't they have done that in reply to my first email?
Very poor customer service, but then again I'm not actually a customer so I dunno.

The result is next time I order from Chai I'll ask him to send via a different courier.

Ricardoco
07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
It's a bit hit and miss with the fees. Unfortunately mine don't tend to miss nowadays. The VAT is in a way fair enough, but I object to paying Fedex £10 handling fee for a no doubt automated system and a letter... I think they assume that when you have paid a few times you must be a buisness and may be on their system as such so will mostly get charged, why dont you see if you can get it sent to a friends house and see if they miss it.

Rick

wilfy
07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
£21 my charge from fedex for 2 seperate deliveries on a £550 order

Jonathan
07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
see if you can get it sent to a friends house and see if they miss it.

Tried that, no luck :( Well, not directly...

Swarfing
07-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I have to say you lot really do not do yourselves any favors, advertising what you get away with all over the forum for the world to see? Thats not a personal poke but just a cautious warning