PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question I know... but - What size is my Spindle Collet ?

Fivetide
12-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi guys , I have a ER-11 (http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collets-Collet-Chucks/ER11-Collets-Collet-Chucks)and I want to buy a tool that uses a 1/2 inch collet.. can I use the tool with my spindle ?

GTJim
12-11-2012, 03:51 PM
I think the largest size ER11 will accept is 7mm, but I could be wrong.

WandrinAndy
12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Think I've seen Jonathan previously recommend ER20 because it can take collets up to 1/2 inch.

Fivetide
12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Think I've seen Jonathan previously recommend ER20 because it can take collets up to 1/2 inch.

Andy , would I need to buy another chuck etc to fit the 1/2 inch tool, the specs for the tool is below ? Is mine a 1/2 inch spindle in other words ?

"The drag knife fits into your CNC router’s 1/2 in. router or spindle collet, making it a universal fit for almost any CNC router available."

WandrinAndy
12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Andy , would I need to buy another chuck etc to fit the 1/2 inch tool, the specs for the tool is below ? Is mine a 1/2 inch spindle in other words ?

"The drag knife fits into your CNC router’s 1/2 in. router or spindle collet, making it a universal fit for almost any CNC router available."

Sorry FiveTide, afraid I'm not sure as I've never seen one of these spindle thingies... I just put that bit of info aside for when I get there.... Eventually... Lol

Conceptually, I think a larger chuck would be required but I would guess that the diameter of the spindle shaft would determine/limit the chuck size that can be used?

I'm sure somebody in the know will soon pop along to enlighten us both.

Edit: Have just picked up the following from Wiki which may help.... "The "ER" collet system, invented and patented by Rego-Fix in 1973, is the most widely used clamping system in the world.[3] (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/#cite_note-2) ER collets are now available from dozens of companies worldwide. The standard sizes are ER-8, ER-11, ER-16, ER-20, ER-25, ER-32, ER-40, ER-50. The "ER" comes from an existent "E" collet which Rego-Fix modified and appended "R" for "Rego-Fix". The number is the cavity opening diameter in millimeters, which is nearly the outside collet diameter"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collet

Jonathan
12-11-2012, 05:40 PM
If the shank on the tool is 1/2", then ER11 is insufficient since, as GTjim said, that size collet will only accept up to 7mm. The minimum size collet series that accepts 1/2" is ER-20 which goes up to 13mm, so unless you can make some sort of adapter which is 7mm on one end and has a 1/2" hole in the other...you're stuck. That may be possible since a drag knife isn't spinning fast, so the rigidity isn't so much of a problem. Possibly the tool itself could be modified on a lathe to give it a 7mm shank?

Looking at the tool in question..
It looks like it could be modified, so long as it's not made from a very hard grade of steel, which seems unlikely.

Fivetide
12-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks fo the replies folks I'll ask the seller if it can be made smaller or they do say a smaller type is in the process of being made for sale.

ptjw7uk
13-11-2012, 10:17 AM
A drag knife puts a large sideways force on the shank, not sure it could be made that much smaller if it is not to bend.
Just my 2p worth!

peter

Fivetide
13-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Just wondering if I could make a dummy spindle for the tool, as it doesn’t actually spin it would only need to be a clamped in?

Ah just got a reply from the makers, they are going to do a 1/4 in the next few months, I'll wait for that :)

njhussey
15-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Try item 280992454015 on eBay. It's a vinyl cutter that you can get them to machine (tho it looks like they chewed it off not machined it off!!) the end to 6mm. It takes the Roland type blades which are about a tenner for 5.

Fivetide
15-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Try item 280992454015 on eBay. It's a vinyl cutter that you can get them to machine (tho it looks like they chewed it off not machined it off!!) the end to 6mm. It takes the Roland type blades which are about a tenner for 5.

Thanks for that, you know for £20 must be worth a go :) just worried it will tear veneers , but hey ! its cheaper than £140 !

I found this for holding down the veneers as well Foot (http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/CNC_Pressure_Foot_br_for_ShopBot_PRS_p/cnc-pressure-sb_prs.htm)

njhussey
15-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks for that, you know for £20 must be worth a go :) just worried it will tear veneers , but hey ! its cheaper than £140 !

Not if it tears £121 worth of veneer! Not sure it's up to cutting veneer as it's only made out of Ali!!

Fivetide
15-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Well I asked Colin , infact its the same guy I bought the CNC machine from, if it would cut veneer , this was his reply.. what do you think of his suggestion ?
This one won't the blade edge is not long enough, this one will.. 281023225351 Item number:

Regards

Colin

njhussey
15-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I'd be inclined to go with his suggestion...will bookmark that for future reference!

martin54
15-11-2012, 01:13 PM
What thickness is the veneer you will be cutting? Only problem I see with that is that vinyl is a very thin material plus you are only cutting through the actual vinyl not the backing sheet, if you are talking about cutting through veneer you will also need some sort of sacrificial material underneath so you don't cut into the bed or blunt the blade to quickly.
Might also find a 60 degree blade will cut better than a 45 degree as these are what are used to cut thicker materials using sign plotters.

mekanik
24-11-2012, 05:54 PM
What thickness is the veneer you will be cutting? Only problem I see with that is that vinyl is a very thin material plus you are only cutting through the actual vinyl not the backing sheet, if you are talking about cutting through veneer you will also need some sort of sacrificial material underneath so you don't cut into the bed or blunt the blade to quickly.
Might also find a 60 degree blade will cut better than a 45 degree as these are what are used to cut thicker materials using sign plotters.
Hi M8
I think i would be inclined to make the spring loaded hold down clamp(if you have the facilities) and use the smallest rotary cutter. I was looking on e-bay for a little jobby i want to do and veneers seem to be about
0.5mm thick, i usually make mine 3mm. You would as mentioned need to lay it on MDF sheet as described, not sure how thin you can get MDF but i used 9mm to skin some Bi-Fold doors i made a month or so ago.

Fivetide
25-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I got the cutter I will give it a go and let you know the results, may prove to be useful to others int the future.

njhussey
25-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Will be interested to see the results. I'll probably get one of these for vinyl as they look ok.