PDA

View Full Version : BUILD LOG: My build log

alex wight
15-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Hi, i am now prepared to start my cnc router, with the help of a friend.

It will be made to cut up to aluminum, both for pleasure and hopefully for selling bits and bobs.

I will be using 60mm x 60mm x3mm steel box for the build.

The size will be 1500mm x 1000mm, and i will be using a 2.2kw water cooled spindle.

I will be building this once, to last the test of time.

I asked Chai for advice and what i would require, and this is what he supplied me.

x4 SBR16-1500mm supported rails
114 usd
x2 SBR16-1000mm supported rails
38 usd
x2 SBR16-200mm supported rails
8 usd
16pcs SBR16UU bearing blocks
67 usd
x1 RM1605-1500mm total length screw with a ballnt and end machined
54 usd
x1 RM1605-1000mm total length screw with a ballnt and end machined
43 usd
x1 RM1605-200mm total length screw with a ballnt and end machined
27 usd
3sets BK/BF12
87 usd
3pcs Nut housings
48 usd
3pcs 6.35mm*10mm couplers
12 usd
sub-total
498 usd
air shipping
169 usd
Total
667 usd

I will get photos up once i make a start to it, which will be monday.

regards alex.

martin54
15-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Alex, I would have asked on here before ordering anything, I will be looking at a similar sort of size build & had been looking at 20mm supported rail, you sure 16mm will be up to the job? Doubt there is that much difference in price for the difference it might make to the machine. The other thing is do you know what usable Z axis travel you are going to have with a 200mm ballscrew? I know you may think you don't need much for what you intend to cut but our plans have a habit of changing once we realise what else can be done. If you only intend to build one machine then it might be best to make sure you cover all the bases.

Didn't notice at first glance but the other thing is that you only have one ballscrew on each axis. With machines of this sort of size then people would recommend 2 on the longest axis at least to ensure the gantry moves smoothly.

alex wight
15-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Alex, I would have asked on here before ordering anything, I will be looking at a similar sort of size build & had been looking at 20mm supported rail, you sure 16mm will be up to the job? Doubt there is that much difference in price for the difference it might make to the machine. The other thing is do you know what usable Z axis travel you are going to have with a 200mm ballscrew? I know you may think you don't need much for what you intend to cut but our plans have a habit of changing once we realise what else can be done. If you only intend to build one machine then it might be best to make sure you cover all the bases.

Didn't notice at first glance but the other thing is that you only have one ballscrew on each axis. With machines of this sort of size then people would recommend 2 on the longest axis at least to ensure the gantry moves smoothly.

ive not ordered anything mucker, just ordered the metal to get started with the frame. i will be doubling up the rails on the 1500mm, 2 on the left and 2 on the right, 2 on the gantry, and 2 for the z. I dont envisage using anything bigger than 60mm deep, so the z will be fine at 200mm.

Always willing to listen and learn tho, and thats why i started the build log, to hear others views.

njhussey
15-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Alex, as Martin says I'm sure the 16mm rail will happily do the loads but the 20mm has an extra row of balls (5 instead of 4 I'm led to believe) and therefore has less play, also you will still be able to fit it to your 60x60 box. There's also not that much difference in price. You will definately need 2 ball screws as the gantry will rack badly at 1000mm wide and you could end up damaging your machine as well as your work piece. I'm sure Jonathan will chip in at some point soon and will probably recomend 1610 ball screws instead of the 1605 and using belts and pulleys to improve the resolution whilst still keeping the speed.

What electronics are you going to use as a matter of interest?

Any design pictures of your machine?

alex wight
15-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Thank you Neil. I hear what your saying and we wont be ignoring any good advice. Once we have the set up the way we want it, and its time for the electronics, we will be ordering them all built up and ready to plug and play.(cant remember where from, at the moment).

alex

Jonathan
15-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Alex, as Martin says I'm sure the 16mm rail will happily do the loads but the 20mm has an extra row of balls (5 instead of 4 I'm led to believe)

I know SBR25 has one more row of balls compared to SBR20. Not sure about 16mm. Either way you would be much better off getting 20mm (or better) 25mm rails. SBR25 for the 1500mm rails and SBR20 for the rest would be good. It seems you're using 4 rails on the X-axis, which has clear advantages but will make it difficult to align all the rails such that they are parallel.

You will definately need 2 ball screws as the gantry will rack badly at 1000mm wide and you could end up damaging your machine as well as your work piece.

Yep...

I'm sure Jonathan will chip in at some point soon and will probably recomend 1610 ball screws instead of the 1605 and using belts and pulleys to improve the resolution whilst still keeping the speed.

Yep... on X and Y you should use RM1610 since this halves the rpm the ballscrew must do to get a given feedrate, so if the feedrate is limited by the critical speed of the screw (which it certainly will be over 1500mm) then you get the higher pitch screw to compensate. Read any of the build logs on this forum and you'll probably find an explanation of this.

200mm is quite small for the Z-axis, but in a way that's good since if you can cope with having so little travel (50-80mm ish) it makes it easier to design a strong machine.

Once we have the set up the way we want it, and its time for the electronics, we will be ordering them all built up and ready to plug and play

Waiting until the end is a good idea since it means you don't risk wasting money if your objectives change, however I'll be surprised if you can find a plug and play system that's worth buying. Most of them seem to be very mismatched, or highly overpriced.

alex wight
10-02-2013, 06:48 PM
eventually got the wood for my work shop.

this the cladding i,m using (tree slabs

This where its going, attaching to my metal shed.

The floor is down.

A view from the bedroom.

Another view.

If the snow stays off, then i might just have this completed next weekend, then i can progress with my build.

Web Goblin
10-02-2013, 07:16 PM
First off are the concrete blocks sitting on the ground or do you have concrete under them? Also what is the base sitting on near the wall is it slabs? The centres of the joists look quite far apart but that might be the photo. What are the centres? Also you will need to put some DPM between the base frame and whatever your are sitting it onto so that it doesnt suck up moisture.

Clive S
10-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I agree with the above pluss I think ;you are asking for trouble with settlement which would be a shame if you did all the work and the floor sunk. Its vital to get a decent foundation as you will be putting some heay stuff in there. the suports for the floor would be better under the long pieces fron to back and not under the bits that are just nailed to them. hope this helps. good luck with the build.

alex wight
10-02-2013, 07:34 PM
These were taken a few days ago, and weren't finished at that time. The blocks are sitting on a bed of concrete, the gaps are 610mm. The bearers that the frame will sit on will have damp proof on them. The floor will be 18mm ply, but will be looking at possibly cutting a section out where the machine will be sitting, and pouring a concrete bed, so that its solid. The photos are just to show a start has been made, but thank you for your comments, I'm always willing to listen and learn.

Web Goblin
11-02-2013, 07:10 AM
610 centres are a bit wide. 450mm would have been better, it would have made the floor less "springy". Before you fix down your plywood are you going to treat the underside of it? When I did mine I simply laid out the sheets and poured out a couple of gallons of creosote and brushed it over with an old sweeping brush, left it a couple of hours then turned them over and fixed it down. Are the timbers of the base treated? What type of roof are you going for, flat sloping or apex?

alex wight
11-02-2013, 09:59 AM
I,ve built quite a few out buildings, and find that this spacing works well, and takes the weight very well too. As long as it has bearings underneath, that helps alot. The wood is treated, and i will be putting a dpm membrane on the whole underneath to prevent dampness. The sides will have the membrane on them as well, and the roof will be pitched, with a heavy felt on and strapped down to protect from the strong west wind that i seem to get hit with now and again. I have creosote and old engine oil that will be applied to all wood liable to be hit by weather, so all in all, making sure its done correctly from the start, and to last. Thanks for your advice ian.

alex

Web Goblin
11-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Apex roof is always better. I remember measuring the dip in my old workshop roof years ago when it was covered in about 1 foot of snow as I was sure I could actually see it bending under the weight.
Creosote and oil good for the wood and it also makes a decent weed killer.

martin54
11-02-2013, 01:47 PM
It's about flippin time to Alex lol, things never go the way you plan them do they, well they don't for me anyway. Good to see you have been able to make some progress with it at last. Need to go for a drive about looking for a part built shed now to check on progress lol.

alex wight
11-02-2013, 02:39 PM
lets hope you dont find it martin, because i want it complete by this weekend lol. Thats one of the sides been done now, i,m away to do the other and the gable end. Then its machine time yipee lol

JAZZCNC
11-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Creosote and oil good for the wood and it also makes a decent weed killer.

Also makes decent fire lighters.!!. . . :hysterical:

alex wight
11-02-2013, 06:18 PM
More progress today

The bomb sight

Once this is all finished it will have been well worth it. Really cold today, with an easterly wind. Glad the sun made a showing, as it would have been bitter.

martin54
11-02-2013, 08:10 PM
lets hope you dont find it martin, because i want it complete by this weekend lol. Thats one of the sides been done now, i,m away to do the other and the gable end. Then its machine time yipee lol

Just looked at the latest pictures Alex, that's absolutely amazing..... Those sides & gable end are completely invisible lol

Mind you the downside is that everyone will be able to see what you have stored in there or more importantly (maybe) what you are doing in there:whistle:

You weren't wrong about it being cold today, I didn't venture out for long at all lol.

alex wight
11-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Numpty lol

martin54
12-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Who's a numpty ?? Me.....you or both of us lol.
Any progress made today Alex, it was bitterly cold today so wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't got a lot done. Snow forecast for tomorrow as well which won't help.

alex wight
12-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Both lol. I got the blocks all concreted in, and the bearers all levelled ready to take the floor. I have applied membrane to the underside of the floor ready to be placed on the bearers tomoro. Took delivery of the felt as well, and also ordered the rest of the wood I need. It's being delivered Thursday. I have the hospital tomoro which may be a blessing as its to be snowing or raining. On Thursday I'll get the sides membraned, and sheeted ready for my wood slabs to be applied. Friday should see the roof going on, and the weekend to get it all completed. I've not been paid this month, which will scupper my plans to get the machine started. However it will give me time to do some clearing out in my shed. It's been freezing, but to be honest never really took notice as I'm enjoying doing what I'm doing.

martin54
13-02-2013, 01:15 AM
So what are your plans for tying it to the metal shed Alex? Are you leaving the doors on the metal shed in place?? Suppose it depends on your planned layout & what kit you have to go in there, just thinking that if you left them & they were usable it might cut down the amount of space you had to heat in the winter although the nuisance factor might outway any gain on saved fuel.

alex wight
13-02-2013, 08:48 AM
I'm leaving the metal shed intact and lockable where my tool boxes ect will be housed. There will be a a wooden frame attached to the shed which makes it easier to join the two. Just woke up to find the weather forecast to be correct, feckin snow again. Supposed to rain later, and I'll get back to it tomoro. I'm looking to have a log burner in it so heating the 2 won't be an issue. I'll be removing the metal roof and replacing with wood as the condensation is bad.

alex wight
13-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Yet again, the snow slows (not stops) the build. Rain forecast this afternoon, and its back to it tomorrow.

martin54
13-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Funny we didn't have any snow at all when you posted a few hours ago & I'm only a few miles away from you. Chucking it down now though so we haven't escaped it lol.

alex wight
13-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Funny we didn't have any snow at all when you posted a few hours ago & I'm only a few miles away from you. Chucking it down now though so we haven't escaped it lol.

Its supposed to rain later hopefully, wash it all away.

alex wight
14-02-2013, 10:54 PM
More progress today with the workshop.

the floor in place with the membrane on the underside to stop dampness.

18mm ply fitted to floor

left hand side with membrane to stop drafts and damp

osb fitted creosote and old engine oil appleid

left hand side in place (bloody heavy bugger lol)

Tomoro will see right hand side and gable end in place. Possibly the roof frames on as well.

martin54
15-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Starting to take shape now Alex, forecast for the next couple of days is pretty good so hopefully you will be able to make a fair bit of progress.

alex wight
15-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Another day closer to completion

window in, side up.

Gable end taking shape

roof ready to be fitted tomoro

Tomorrow should see the back broken, and get all the wee bits done, then its all systems go. Oh and i,ll need to fit doors lol lol

Web Goblin
15-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Cant help it I need to ask "why no dwangs?"

alex wight
15-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Dwangs will be be applied to the back wall only, as thats the wall with osb on it. the right hand side wont need them due to the slabs i,m fitting. I needed to get this up and water tight, before everything was ruined. Thank you for your comments, always hear to listen. I must say that im chuffed to bits the way its going. Just need my dad to help finish it off, lol.

alex wight
17-02-2013, 11:16 AM
And then there was aroof

day off rest today, lol.

martin54
17-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Progressing well now Alex, but I would personally have put more windows in it to let more natural light in, looks like you are only going to have the one window which will seriously limit the amount of natural light getting in. Biggest problem with my unit is the lack of windows meaning I have to have the lights on all the time. It's an extra expense but more importantly for a lot of what I do it is easier to see by natural light.

alex wight
17-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Martin, that's a green house your on about lol. You'll be surprised at how much light is getting in with just that one window. I'm hoping we will have some sort of decent weather, where I can have the door open when working, but don't mind having to put the lights on when required. I was contemplating putting 2 sky lights in at a later date to allow heat/light in. But I'm concentrating on getting the bulk up and running first. As I say I'm always willing to listen and learn. After all, this the work of a diyer lol

martin54
17-02-2013, 12:56 PM
20 years in submarines Alex so I know you can work without natural light lol, I just find that a lot of what I do is better under natural light & although you may get light in there will be a lot of dark areas, I know from the unit I have. Like you say get it up & start working & then make what improvements you need as an when you need them. How you have things planned for the inside will also make a difference, wouldn't count on leaving the door open very often where we live lol.

alex wight
17-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Lol your not wrong. I'm looking at having a privacy gate put up so even when I'm opening and closing the door, no one can see in. I have one up at the moment but not the way I want it. My wife now wants the summer house built, and the garden sorted so that she can do her childminding out the back in good weather. No rest for the wicked eh.

GEOFFREY
17-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Starting to look really good now Alex, well done. Ican see that you will have that machine built in no time. G

alex wight
17-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Thank you Geoffrey, can't wait.

kingcreaky
17-02-2013, 04:43 PM
love it. very jelous....

alex wight
17-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Thank you very much, can't wait to finish it lol body all sore and exhausted, but well worth it.

kingcreaky
17-02-2013, 07:40 PM
no matter what forum it is im on... i like the actual garages / workshops more than I do the subject of the forum.. in this case cnc but the same with woodworking, welding... there needs to be a site that just shows pictures of peoples workshops :-D

martin54
17-02-2013, 07:44 PM
no matter what forum it is im on... i like the actual garages / workshops more than I do the subject of the forum.. in this case cnc but the same with woodworking, welding... there needs to be a site that just shows pictures of peoples workshops :-D

And I thought I was a sad so & so lol

Web Goblin
18-02-2013, 07:15 AM
I cant see any tie bars, king posts or trusses on the photo of the roof but it doesnt show the inside of the roof structure. Are you planning on adding them later if you havent fitted them?

alex wight
18-02-2013, 08:07 AM
They are all there, and the dwangs are being fitted today. ;-))

Web Goblin
18-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Thats great. I couldnt see them on the photo.

GEOFFREY
18-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Alex, sassanach? here - whats a dwang? I didn't ask last time you said it, but mentioning it twice!! G.

alex wight
18-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Goeffrey pmsl, its a supporting brace that supports the panels that are fitted. You have the uprights which the panels are fixed to, then you have cross members for added strength. i,ll put up a photo of a DWANG lol

alex

Web Goblin
18-02-2013, 10:18 AM
FAF. Im not sure everyone will want to see a picture of your dwang!!!!

martin54
18-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Geofrey, you might know it as a nogging which is what I knew them as before I was exiled lol

GEOFFREY
19-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks Martin, I do indeed know what a nogging is. I worked in the construction industry for 20 years and did not believe there were any building terms that I was unfamiliar with. I guess you live and learn. I wonder what other little gems are hidden under those kilts!! G.

kingcreaky
27-02-2013, 02:33 PM
BUMP!
You cant start a topic like this, post all these inspiring pictures.. then just stop!. Im in desperate need of an update down here!! lets have some pics!

martin54
27-02-2013, 02:48 PM
BUMP!
You cant start a topic like this, post all these inspiring pictures.. then just stop!. Im in desperate need of an update down here!! lets have some pics!

Funny you should say that, I was looking last night & wondered what had happened to Alex updates. The weather up here hasn't been to bad lately so I know he will have been getting on with it. Hopefully it's just a case of Alex being to busy with the build that he hasn't had time to update the thread.

alex wight
09-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Hi sorry for not posting. My workshop is now built 99%, just waiting on a few bits and bobs. As for my machine build, I have had a few set backs. I was hoping to back to work after my bike accident, but after having an injection to supposedly help me, made me worse. I now have to have more time of work, which means cash is very low at the moment. Once I get settled back into my work I'll be getting cracked on, and then you will see regular updates at a great pace. Thanks for thinking of me tho lol.

Ricardoco
10-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Hi sorry for not posting. My workshop is now built 99%, just waiting on a few bits and bobs. As for my machine build, I have had a few set backs. I was hoping to back to work after my bike accident, but after having an injection to supposedly help me, made me worse. I now have to have more time of work, which means cash is very low at the moment. Once I get settled back into my work I'll be getting cracked on, and then you will see regular updates at a great pace. Thanks for thinking of me tho lol.99% always an exciting time, get well soon, i look forward to reading your logs

Rick

alex wight
10-03-2013, 12:42 AM
99% always an exciting time, get well soon, i look forward to reading your logs

Rick

Thank you very much rick

martin54
10-03-2013, 01:04 AM
We were starting to worry about you Alex, seems with good reason lol.

Hope it's not to much of a setback for you, like Rick I have been enjoyed following the progress so far. Hope to be reading more of it soon.

GEOFFREY
10-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Hi Alex, ditto. Geoff.

alex wight
10-03-2013, 01:19 AM
Cheers guys, I'll keep in touch once I get going.

alex wight
26-10-2013, 07:09 PM
well here we are again. Time has moved on quite a bit so a wee update as to where i am at the moment. Back to work, but shoulder still not healed, taking my insurance company to court as still not had my claim yet (the driver that ht me is insured with the same company as myself). The workshop is well and truly up and running, to the extent that i have registered myself as a small business. I am making racing pigeon supplies ie boxes, perches, baskets, and its really busy. As for my machine, i wanted to get it back on track today, but after buying a metal cutting blade for my chop saw at £56, the blade blunted after just 4 cuts so is going back. Looks like i,ll be hiring a chop saw (abrasive wheel) for next week end.

as for the plans, i will be building a machine to be able to cope with hard woods and plastics. Most of the details are the same as the originals. The size will be to take a half sheet so the bed will be 1450mm x 1450mm, there will be an overhang at one end to accommodate a 4th axis. There will be 3 legs all with diagonals so strength will be there, i will get plans and photos up when i eventually get the long awaited start, started.

alex

kingcreaky
27-10-2013, 08:03 PM
though fear of hijacking your brand new build thread, thought it would be more appropriate for me to post here. We are all still desperately awaiting further photos of this workshop build... that just stopped.... when you get a minute.. lets have some pictures of it now. even if its not finished....

;D

alex wight
27-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Help king creaky if u go to Fife Workshop - Pigeonbasics Forum (http://forum.pigeonbasics.com/topic/64360-fife-workshop/) this will show you what I've been up to.