PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hi from Reading

Saracen
25-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm in the process of buying a Microcarve MV3, with planet-cnc driver.

The intention is to start making parts for 1/6th scale tanks.

I hope to end up machining aluminium but I guess it would be best to start with something softer...

Adrian.

njhussey
25-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi Adrian, firstly welcome to the forum :) secondly congrats on getting into the world if CNC...

Saracen
26-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Thanks Neil :eagerness:

martin54
26-11-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm in the process of buying a Microcarve MV3, with planet-cnc driver.

The intention is to start making parts for 1/6th scale tanks.

I hope to end up machining aluminium but I guess it would be best to start with something softer...

Adrian.

Welcome to the forum Adrian, best of luck with your new machine but from what I have learnt in a short time on here I doubt you will be cutting much aluminium with it. Have a look at the build logs & it will give you a better idea of what you need if you want to machine ally.

Saracen
26-11-2012, 01:50 AM

I'm aware of the limitations of cutting aluminium and have had some conversations with John@Microcarve about it. He seemed to think the MV3 would do it but only if the spindle was up to it and the speed and cut depth were minimal. He recommended a Bosch router but the particular model doesn't seem to appear much over here.

Speed isn't an issue for me and budget is, so after 12 months of prevaricating I decided to jump in and at least get something on the bench which would cut shapes for me. Whether it'll do the job to my satisfaction is another facet of the learning curve :whistle:

Adrian