PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hello brave new world.

BedlamRik
27-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Hello all, I have just got round to registering and I thought I'd disengage Lurk mode long enough to introduce myself.

My Name is Rik, I'm in the UK, (it's Grimm up north), And I'm a geek, more to the point, I'm a model maker who wants to build some cool toy's to make more cool toys.

Having mastered the dark arts of Alchemy and Goo, (metal and resing casting) I'm planning on building myself a CNC router.

So far, Countless Hours of my life have been put to good use trawling the interwebz and many video's and build logs have been absorbed.

Project CNC is already begining to happen, so without further ado I'm throwing myself off into oblivion, and commencing Operation Haven't a clue.

Thats where you lot come in :beer:

Tom
27-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Hello Rik,
I'm not around much, but when I joined I got a really friendly welcome.

This lot will keep you on the straight and narrow :thumbup:

To get started why not post some pics of what you're planning... It sounds as though you've got a master plan... :beer:

Fivetide
28-11-2012, 02:19 AM
manky .. welcome :) I'm up the road cant help you much but may make afew useless comments .. they slotted a new kindey in my Dad a couple of weeks ago at the MRI so I have spent a fair bit of time in your City..lol Welcome have fun..

BedlamRik
28-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome guy's,
I'm Currently talking with Ahren at CNC routerparts, I'm planning on ordering a 4848, or more to the point the metric kit with the new linear motion system when its released.( new year as far as I know).

@tom, Plan, Ahh yes, one of those A, becomes B, becomes C, things, Yup, Got one of those, I'll start with a new thread "Operation Haven't a clue" (working title).

I'm always impressed at the time and dedication those guys who do build logs, with moving pictures and everything!, they are a font of knowledge and have convinced me to try and document my foray into CNC.

@Fivetide, OUCH! know where your comming from, not good, but hope he's on the mend. on another note, I'm closer to you than you think, MANK indeed lol.
Junction 26 M6. where they eat pies apparently, well I can dispell that one:thumsup:.

I think, It'll take some time to see this through to completion, The Bombsite Garage, is stage one, I'm planning on gutting that and furnishing that as a dedicated workshop, during this process I'm going to build the CNC so that can then manufacture bits for the Garage of dreams.

Cheers Everybody!
Rik.

martin54
28-11-2012, 12:39 PM
My Name is Rik, I'm in the UK, (it's Grimm up north)............... Up North ????? Junction 25 on the M6 is the Midlands isn't it lol. Try Fife (East coast of Scotland) now that's up North & Grim believe me lol

Best of luck with your plans, Now the garage has a new Roof, Door & soon windows are there any plans for any form of heating as it's starting to get a bit cold now.

BedlamRik
28-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Greeting from the midlands , Martin!
Funny you should mention heating, My Joiner mate and I where discussing just the very same thing the other day, as it stands , we are going to sort out the screeding and flooring of the workshop, then kingspan the exterior wall , ( garage is attached to the house) then once thats done, we are going to board and Insult the roof, aswell as the exterior wall.
That with the draught less Door should massively aid the thermal effeciency of the workshop, and I reckon with the extractor system and machine running heating will not be an issue.
BUT, if it is , then wooley jumpers and a small log burner are being considered, especially as we will be able to burn some of the resulting chips from the machine.

Alluminium sure does burn pretty lol.

Rik.

martin54
28-11-2012, 01:38 PM
I mentioned heating because it's Baltic in my unit now & the only change over the next few months is that it will get colder lol. I was looking at putting in a heat pump having read on another forum how good some of them are now. Other good thing is that it is easy to install & to remove should I give up the unit or my landlord kick me out at some point in the future.
Still not 100% sure what to do but doesn't hurt to look about and check what's available & prices.

BedlamRik
28-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Ground sourced or Air ? My missus works for a solar energy company, and they are exploring this technology I'll pick her brains if you want?

Lee Roberts
28-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the forum Rik, good luck with the build !

martin54
29-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Has to be air Rik, I rent the unit so wouldn't want the expense of installing a ground loop only to find a year or so latter the landlord wasn't renewing the lease. He has provisional planning permission to build houses but he's not in any rush as he has lots of better sites to build on. Doubt if it will happen anytime soon to be honest but still not prepared to take the chance.
Think there are lots of Solar Companies looking at this sort of thing, it's another way of saving money long term so fits in with what they do to an extent.

BedlamRik
29-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks Lee, I'm looking forward to it.

Martin, I'm sure she mentioned summat about Govmt doing a feed in scheme like they did for solar energy?
We have solar panels, and there AWESOME, apart from at night, when there not so much,...... Hmmmmph.:chuncky: