PDA

View Full Version : Not cutting perfect right angles and sticking on Y axis ?

Fivetide
07-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Had a strange one or may be two today, first I put a sheet of 15 mill ply on the bed and did a 300 x 200 area clearance @ 5mm. All went fine no problems, until I put in an engineer square and it was out over the 200 length by 3mm! I took off the ply and put in a block of 200 x 250 @ 15 mm and did a profile 5mm in, all-round the edge of the block @ 5 mill deep, using the front of the bed to square up the material. The first time I did it at normal 72 feed it seemed to stick on the y axis (the bed moving Forwards toward me), then there was a sort of small bang and it went off again. The spindle returned to the origin and it was 6 mm off along the y axis. I reset and flipped the blank then dropped it to 60% feed rate, restarted the job. This time it ran perfect and all the angles on the job where correct, any ideas what’s going on?

Robin Hewitt
07-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Did you get a burn mark where it stuck?

Fivetide
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
No Robin no burn mark

Robin Hewitt
08-12-2012, 12:11 PM
No Robin no burn mark

So it wasn't the tool being reluctant to cut that caused the Y axis to stick.

That leaves it wide open. Possibilities:- a mechanical glitch, the motor hasn't got quite enough welly at speed, a loose connection.

I'd start by running the Y axis for a few fast passes while listening and watching it like a hawk. See if you can localise anything.

Musht
08-12-2012, 09:28 PM
anti-virus, screensavers, foooorking java update switched off...?

Just in case software rather than hardware glitch.

m.marino
10-12-2012, 10:03 AM
All good spots to look for the problem. Only suggestion I can add is put them down in a list and test by the list. I would personally first make sure all physical connections are fine and able to move proper as Robin suggested then if that does not show it up start looking at the software end of things. Good luck as I know how much of a pain it is when trying to track these down.

Michael

Fivetide
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I think it must be the feed speed being to high. I put an engraver bit in, and hand wound the table and x axis to their max, drew line points with a white marker and its a perfect square, like I said before NCStudio is a bit strange when it comes to feed rates. Thanks for the advice chaps :)

Fivetide
10-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Couldn’t see anything obvious, I dropped the feed and bolted down some 20 mm plywood and set off a 250 x 200 clearance.. result ..WAY OUT again !. I checked the board that came on the bed and that’s out as well so he knew when he sold it to me, another case of “No0bishNess” , oh well I’ll have to use it within its limitations, I have aside stepping chinky ! Pict says it all ... Fooked