PDA

View Full Version : Different voltages on different steppers

Lovre
12-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Hi guys,

I was doing some math ... It turns out that 2 of my steppers can work on 50 V and one is 40 V.

I initially wanted to drive them on 24 V , but since I was told that its not gonna be enough I'm thinking that I could buy additional 2 drivers (for instance 2M542, I was told that they are good) and drive he other 2 steppers on 48 V.

I would buy another 24 VDC power supply , put it in series with first one , and from first I would connect my 40 V stepper and from both in series I would supply my other two steppers.

I'm wondering if anybody was doing something similar ? Can I use drivers like that? I see no reason why not, does it have something to do maybe later on with Mach3 ?

I'm electrical engineer so I know stuff about electricity and electronics, but I'm new to this CNC so I didn't have time to learn more about drivers, breakout boards and especially on Mach3 which I did not even start yet :)

Thanks in advance guys !

Jonathan
12-12-2012, 11:07 PM
From Mach3's point of view the system will not look any different regardless of how you power it. Mach3 just sends out the step and direction signals.

My post here may interest you, since it includes more detail about why 24V (TB6560 etc) can be unsuitable:
http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/general-discussion/3861-my-cnc-sessions-now-like-laundry-day.html#post25191

So long as the PSUs are electrically isolated you could connect them in series as you describe, so long as the total current drawn from either is not greater than it's rating.

Before I comment further, can you provide a link to the datasheets for the stepper motors you have since that would make it a lot easier to work things out?

Lovre
12-12-2012, 11:28 PM
From Mach3's point of view the system will not look any different regardless of how you power it. Mach3 just sends out the step and direction signals.

My post here may interest you, since it includes more detail about why 24V (TB6560 etc) can be unsuitable:
http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/general-discussion/3861-my-cnc-sessions-now-like-laundry-day.html#post25191

So long as the PSUs are electrically isolated you could connect them in series as you describe, so long as the total current drawn from either is not greater than it's rating.

Before I comment further, can you provide a link to the datasheets for the stepper motors you have since that would make it a lot easier to work things out?

Thanks , I don't have any link to data sheet for motors...

I already decided to buy another drivers for stronger motors so I could run them on 48 V .

Now i just need to decide on the drivers that can go up to 50 V .

I had 2M542 planned ... If there is no better solution or if there is no downside to them ?

I don't want to do same mistake as with the first drivers I bought :)