PDA

View Full Version : How to do it

petesos
14-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi All
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.
I have been given a Plaque to reproduce on to wood or stone and I have been trying to create a tool path to do the picture but I just can not get the software
to do it . The Software I have been using is COREL DRAW X3....CUT3D... V CARVE PRO and PHOTOVCARVE but I just can not get it to cut the black areas or the white areas as I need the machine to cut down to a depth of 2mm 7638
Can anyone advise me the best way to get the image sharp enough to generate a tool path
Pete

D.C.
14-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Try this method, all the software is free and it seems to be similar to what you want.

Open Source CNC Toolpathing Workflow (http://makeprojects.com/Project/Open+Source+CNC+Toolpathing+Workflow/1018/1#.UMrwtXePn1U)

Fivetide
15-12-2012, 12:36 AM
have you got artcam ?

martin54
15-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Have you been given the actual plaque or that tatty photo Pete?

If you have the actual plaque then photograph it at high resolution & then try the auto trace, it's not that complex so a high rez image should define the edges reasonably well.
You may need to play about with the auto trace as the default settings don't always give the best results, said this on another thread if you want to do this sort of work then you really need to learn how to node edit & get the best out of any trace or vectorising software that you use.
If you have just been given that picture then you will have problems unless you know how to use the software properly. Go back to who ever gave it to you & ask for a higher resolution image.

petesos
15-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi Guys
I Dont have artcam yet but its on my list of things to get BUT " I think I now have it sorted as I have done it in INKSPACE but i have yet to machine it out .
I have done it on my Laser and it has come out perfect I will post a few pics of the job on here when done .
Thank you all for your help
Pete

D.C.
15-12-2012, 05:02 PM
I have done it in INKSPACE

Open source rocks again. :) Can't wait for the piccys!

Philly
02-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Got a bigger picture?

Lee Roberts
02-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Any update pics Peter?

.Me

petesos
02-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Hi All
Sorry not been on for a while have been busy at the shop ....This CNC carry on is bluddy Dangerous ??? so far I have lost the top of my finger broke my foot and poisoned myself and all done in my workshop and not to mention the pile of broken tooling in the corner and I have enjoyed every moment of it:thumsup:
Will post some pics tomorrow evening and any comments good or bad are welcome but keep in mind that I have not been doing this a year yet so still a lot to learn.
Pete

Any update pics Peter?

.Me

petesos
04-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi All
Here are a few pics of some items in stone / wood /marble /ect. There are loads more on our facebook page (Craftworx regents Yard)91889189919091919192919391949195

Lee Roberts
04-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Peter, what software did you use on the image in the end to get the tool paths, also what cutters do you use for working with stone?

.Me

Tomnewry
05-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Hi pete can you tell me what stone you used and what cutters you used.
Thanks for any info you can give

petesos
05-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Hi Lee
I used Corel Draw first then ran it through V carve pro to generate the toolpath , With the stone I use Diamond encrusted tooling ( DK HOLDINGS LTD )
Used a 6mm endmill for roughing and then a 3mm ball nose for final finish all on a Feedrate of 50 and a Plunge rate of 2.0 and that worked for the Slate / Granite / Sandstone / and Marble. It can be a bit messy though
Hope this helps Bud
Pete

petesos
05-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Hi Bud
I use all sorts of stone Granite/Marble/Sandstone/Slate/Ceramic Tiles , But be prepared for some breakages though as I have a box of them.
I use a company called D K Holdings as they carry a good range of tooling but not the cheapest but the best I have found for getting it to you quick.
Anyone want any info just drop me a post.
Pete

petesos
05-07-2013, 09:10 PM
If anyone is thinking of having a go at doing some stone this is how I do mine.

I made a wooden tray up the size of the work area of my cnc and I made the sides 50mm high then sealed the tray with an epoxy resin in all corners and screw the tray to the bed
Then I put the stone/marble/slate/ect in the tray and fill it with water being sure to fix the sides of the stone with buffers to stop any movement and away to go......Keep your tooling covered with water all the time though as they last longer and after every job in stone I changed the water as it gets to murky to see how it is going.
My Next CNC will have a water recycling setup.
Hope this helps
Pete

Tomnewry
05-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks for that Pete great job.