PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hello everyone...

HawkJET
26-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi,

I have done numerous Google searches where some of the results brought me to these pages. I am impressed with the overall context of the members here. I am a member of another CNC forum and have been disappointed with the egos that clash with everyone being RIGHT (irrespective of the accuracy of their position). I haven't seen that here.

I am in Langley in the state of Washington. It is on Whidbey Island near Seattle. I am fixing up my shop (the building) and am about to put my machines in their assigned places. The shop area is 35' x 29' with an additional office area that's 9' x 21'. I have been insulating the ceiling, adding a heater and various other upgrades. I need to paint the floor and then I will place the machines.

I have a Bridgeport clone manual mill, a Bridgeport Series II N/C, a Bridgeport BOSS3 Series I CNC, a 13 x 38 asian lathe, a Logan 200 lathe, and a Chevalier 6 x 12 surface grinder. Of course there are the typical drill presses and sanders, as well as a bunch of other tooling.

I am a mechanical engineering consultant and usually build what I design. I have done product design and development, plastic injection mold design and manufacture, automated machinery for light manufacturing and a lot of other things I don't remember right now.

I plan to build a CNC pick & place machine for low volume electronics manufacturing. I have an X3 I will convert to CNC. I also plan to build a CNC Router... oh yeah... I will be building an airplane also.

blackburn mark
26-12-2012, 10:32 PM
you have quite a collection there :)

oh yeah... I will be building an airplane

splendid! i want to see the footage of your eyes the first time you rotate :)
we don't get many aircraft builders over here in the uk (to much red tape unless its foot launched)

have been disappointed with the egos that clash with everyone being RIGHT (irrespective of the accuracy of their position)
we get the odd spats of friction but I have to agree that in the most part its a pretty sensible gang on here

I'm sure Lee/Jonathan will be along to sort your forum permissions out

HawkJET
26-12-2012, 11:25 PM
splendid! i want to see the footage of your eyes the first time you rotate :)
Yes, I would like that also!:sneakiness:

HawkJET
26-12-2012, 11:36 PM
you have quite a collection there :)
I forgot to mention the BOSS3 has been retrofitted with MACH3. I used Compumotor ZETA stepper motor controllers with the stock motors. The old electronics cabinets have been removed (it's amazing how much more room there is around the machine). My Series II N/C was made in the mid to late '70s (before "CNC" - it doesn't use gcode). I plan to retrofit it also. I have used it a lot in the past but it got to be a pain to program.