PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Estimate for Motorcycle Part

Ratch
29-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi all.

After a quote for a rear motorcycle calliper hanger.

I can supply technical 2D and / or 3D drawings if needed,
or machinist can figure it out from parts supplied.

But I'm very specific about how it should look and it is
a high load bearing part so will need to be cut from decent alloy.

I'm in London.

birchy
29-12-2012, 08:58 PM
There are a few people on here that will make this for you. I suggest you post a drawing so they can see whether or not their machine is capable.

Ratch
30-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Will do mate - thanks for reply.

Ratch
31-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Hi all.

Here's the part I'm after.

Its pretty basic, about 150mm x 130 x 70mm

It needs to be strong. Any Motorcycle guys will know immediately what it is / does.

I can supply the rear wheel and swingarm for you to take your measurements / tolerances etc and then machine as you wish.
Its not for production, its for a one-off special build.

Turnaround can be unto 6 weeks.

I'm based in London.

You can see it in place here, outlined in green.

r0bsk1
31-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi Ratch, hope you dont mind me making a suggestion but this caliper mount wouldnt work. The caliper mount would eventually rotate and tear away. You need to increase the mass between the caliper mount and swingarm mount.

Ratch
31-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Possibly.

But this gives an idea of what's needed and should be enough to get an estimate.

The details can be sorted afterward.

Ratch
01-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Have amended the design slightly - but its essentially the same for an estimate.

JAZZCNC
01-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Looking at this it looks like you have 2 piece design in mind and that just won't work and look the same.? It would need to be much more robust at the spindle portion to allow inter locking joint to stop rotation.
This part needs much more work on design and strength because has robsk1 says it wouldn't last 5 mins under heavy breaking with these proportions.

I Also doubt anyone will give you a quote for an incomplete design thats flawed in such a major area given the nature of it's importance.? I certainly wouldn't.!

Ratch
01-01-2013, 05:57 PM
This is a 1 piece design. I don't know where you got the 2 piece from.

There is plenty of meat there for this to perform as intended and current
rear calipers on more powerful bikes are nowhere near as bulky as this
so I feel you're either out of touch or just plain wrong.

In any case, I'm looking for an engineer to work with me on this, not just an operator.

I'm only precious about the aesthetic, the engineering can be tweaked once the job is agreed.

Ratch
01-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Having said that, it could still be a 2 -piece item and work well.

Simpler to make if the hanger and brace are separated and slide into each other
as it could be cut from 2 thinner pieces in just 1 axis...

JAZZCNC
01-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I was talking about the first design didn't see the second one untill afterwards.

You have no idea how in touch I am and my considerable motorcycle engineering experience instantly said fail.!!! Death, murder man slaughter charges.!

Good luck finding a real engineer who isn't bothered about structural strength in favour of aesthetics and will agree to give a price based on changing design.!!

Ratch
01-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Stay off the thread mate. You are neither reading my posts correctly nor making any sense.

I have had 2 chaps offering help minus the attitude - as they have taken the drawing in the way it was intended - a starting point and guide - not a finished CAD/CAM file!

JAZZCNC
01-01-2013, 06:27 PM
No problem but just for the record I wasn't giving attitude and my first post was offering sound advise based of experience. It was you who came back with attitude.!

Maybe you need to lighten up bit.!

Ratch
01-01-2013, 06:33 PM
I just want to crack on - the thread has already filled up with noise.

motoxy
01-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Jazz the inexperienced operator :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Ratch
01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Anyone interested in this job please PM me directly.

Much appreciated.

WandrinAndy
01-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Stay off the thread mate. You are neither reading my posts correctly nor making any sense.

I have had 2 chaps offering help minus the attitude - as they have taken the drawing in the way it was intended - a starting point and guide - not a finished CAD/CAM file!

Good luck with getting the right help mate... I am really surprised that you have received any response.

When I first saw your RFQ, I made a mental note that nobody in their right mind would respond.......... But then again, I'm not even an operator ;-)

Happy New Year, btw.

Ratch
01-01-2013, 07:39 PM
I guess not everyone on this forum is a bitter / negative old tool...

Ricardoco
01-01-2013, 07:56 PM
This is a 1 piece design. I don't know where you got the 2 piece from.

There is plenty of meat there for this to perform as intended and current
rear calipers on more powerful bikes are nowhere near as bulky as this
so I feel you're either out of touch or just plain wrong.

In any case, I'm looking for an engineer to work with me on this, not just an operator.

I'm only precious about the aesthetic, the engineering can be tweaked once the job is agreed.Nope He is not out of touch you are im affraid, take it from me because this is what i do, the wall on the spindle tube just wont cut it full stop.. change your design and you may have more luck, The Aesthetic will have to be compramised in order to make a part fit for the purpose, which in this case is safety critical, I have 5 Bikes ranging from 1980-2012 the 2012 being a CBR1000 and this part is as robust as they have always been.

Dont get me wrong, I can see where you are comming from but the design needs work, and you dont do your self any favours implying people on here operators..this site is For machinists By machinists..

Oh and on a point of order adding images to your original design post just so you can come back at people who are pointing out valid points doesnt help either..

Rick

Ratch
01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Dude - why are we still talking about the old design.

Why?

Its pointless.

Look at tit again.

Ricardoco
01-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Oh and on a point of order adding images to your original design post just so you can come back at people who are pointing out valid points doesnt help either..

Rick I Did look at it read my post

blackburn mark
01-01-2013, 08:40 PM
No problem but just for the record I wasn't giving attitude and my first post was offering sound advise based of experience. It was you who came back with attitude.!

Maybe you need to lighten up bit.!

I'm guessing it was the "I certainly wouldn't.!" ... a tad dismissive jazz
you may well be the GOD of whatever but I guess tact is a tad more than you can muster
ccccchill out jazz its a brand new year and you have started with the size 11's already

Ratch
01-01-2013, 09:11 PM
I Did look at it read my post

I think you should read mine.

You'll find that I added the new images BEFORE the retarded posts by this member - therefore he and you should comment in what's up at the present time not what WAS there.

This design was a 5min lash up to show quite roughly what I'm after.

Not a to scale cad file that has been FEA tested and ready to put on a MotoGP bike tomorrow.

But some people just cannot use common sense and engage some tact instead of wading in with bitchiness born of insecurity.

Ricardoco
01-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I think you should read mine.

You'll find that I added the new images BEFORE the retarded posts by this member - therefore he and you should comment in what's up at the present time not what WAS there.

This design was a 5min lash up to show quite roughly what I'm after.

Not a to scale cad file that has been FEA tested and ready to put on a MotoGP bike tomorrow.

But some people just cannot use common sense and engage some tact instead of wading in with bitchiness born of insecurity.
It wasnt there when i posted and if you look you will see i posted after that member, so I and others commented on what we saw, not what you posted after the fact.
I suspect like others you read into a reply what you think is there, based on your mood at the time.
I for one only give my opinions, in an effort to find out what people require, and if i can help in any way.
I often wonder where this place is, that "Throwing the rattle out gets results" because its called rude where i come from.

I wish you luck with your project. Oh and Happy New Year to you and Welcome to the forum.

By the way that second design is much more like it, i can see no problems with its structure and im sure someone will be able to sort that for yu..

Rick

John S
02-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Not got a dog in this race but one thing I will not do is work on any safety items like brakes or brake components unless they are for myself.
The nock on effect from an accident or breakage don't bear thinking about in these days of litigation.

Peter.
02-01-2013, 08:20 AM
I see no problem with the design as it stands - apart from being damn ugly. I'm with Sir John on the 'wouldn't do it for soeone else' front purely from a litigation point of view but to me it looks plenty strong enough.

Ratch
02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
If you don't have the confidence in your work yo undertake a job and stand behind your work then you shouldn't be doing what you do. Sounds like an amateurish junior approach to work.

As for the design bring ugly - just more pointless commentary.

John S
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
If you don't have the confidence in your work yo undertake a job and stand behind your work then you shouldn't be doing what you do.

I carry product liability insurance that costs well into 4 figures per year so I can afford to stand by my jobs,. However would I want to risk this for a simple job, designed by someone who obviously doesn't know the first thing about design other than it has to look cool and bling ?

Sounds like an amateurish junior approach to work.

Not half as amateurish as this 'design' project.

Ratch
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
This post has been removed by the moderators

Threads and/or posts deemed to be soliciting any kind of harassment, discrimination, flaming, trolling and/or behaviour considered by the site staff as intentionally abusive or inappropriate.

Such content will be removed from public viewing.

John S
02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
OK I'll through a bit of positive light on the subject.

Go to CNC Machine Shop | Custom Waterjet, Plasma, Laser Cutting | eMachineShop.com (http://www.emachineshop.com/)

On there you can make your drawing, submit it and you get a quote for making one.

This is how many R&D places work who don't have the equipment or skills. Let us know how you get on.
After all this is a home built CNC forum basically with many beginners as opposed to a manufacturing bike site.

[ Edit ] There is even a very good review of it here .

http://www.bytebrothers.org/Reviews/eMachineShop/Default.htm

Ratch
02-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Admins - how come I get censored when its clear as night and day that there are a few tactless negative cynical people who have weighed in here from day one
with no intention other than to wind me up and trash this thread.

You say this is a forum for home made beginners forum yet you are all desperately showing off like arrogant bitter old jobsworths to prove how pro you all are - I've never seen such a welcome.

This is so simple - just stay off the thread if you have nothing good to say.

Surely even you can get your head around that.

mocha
02-01-2013, 11:52 AM
@Ratch; Having looked carefully at the comments on this thread, it is my view that you are confusing critical comments about your design with critical comments about you personally and you have responded from that position. I can see no evidence of any comments with the only intent of "winding you up" or "Trashing this thread". If your requirement included caveats of the specific type of responses you wanted, you should have clarified this at the time of your initial post.

Your moderated post was deemed inappropriate. As will any other post that contains only attacks of a personal nature on individuals, that applies to every user here and they are not tolerated.

I have sent you a couple of PMs on this matter neither of which you have had the courtesy to respond to.

Ratch
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
What is the tittle of this thread? Is it please weigh in on my design?

Where did I say in my first post that I wanted criticism and negativity?

I wanted a machinist to look at a drawing, see if its something he could execute and go from there.

If you don't want to quote - stay away SO SO SIMPLE.

Again - What is the tittle of this thread?

blackburn mark
02-01-2013, 01:40 PM
well disappointed !
Ratch, you have my sympathy...
there are plenty of "hot shots" who just have to post on every thread whether they have something useful to add or not,
i'm all for a hard honest critique but talking down to people kind of steamrollers over any quiet calm exchange of ideas for those without whatever complex it is that has them want to be ten foot taller than everybody else
(less fire and brimstone and more nurture)

IF you had asked for it made of chocolate that's your business and fear of litigation is plain short sightedness
you being the employer and the maker being the employee (just doing as he is told)

hang in there man and don't be badgered into crossing swords with them.... they wont learn because they already know everything :)

John S
02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
IF you had asked for it made of chocolate that's your business and fear of litigation is plain short sightedness
you being the employer and the maker being the employee (just doing as he is told)

Doesn't work like that.
What happens if it breaks, he, the employer, gets kills and the vultures start circling.
Costs money to get out of that whether you are involved or not.

I did offer constructive help, not criticism, in fact I have said nothing about the design.

What i said was I would not touch braking components, my view and I'm entitled to it without having to be criticised for it.

I then offered a site where these parts are regularly done, any body bother to read it ?

JAZZCNC
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm guessing it was the "I certainly wouldn't.!" ... a tad dismissive jazz
you may well be the GOD of whatever but I guess tact is a tad more than you can muster
ccccchill out jazz its a brand new year and you have started with the size 11's already

Was away last night so couldn't reply.

Mark we all know you don't like me and thats fine by me. . . .! But the remark you mention had no bad or dismissive meaning. It simply stated I wouldn't touch this job or give estimate or quote based on the FIRST design (which is what I originally commented on). An estimate is what the Ignorant OP wanted.

Now the really stupid part on the OP is the fact I'd have Glady helped on both design and machining the part just for the price of the material and the challenge. (Oh and if you/he doubt's this just ask the many others on the forum I've helped with machining FOC )
For the price of Ali he would have had the experience of an Honda trained engineer with over 10yrs experience working for HRC the racing and development division. I've had and tested or destroyed more custom bits thru my hands than he's had petrol thru the bike.

EDIT: And if the OP had read is PM's he'd have seen I'd offered to help before he ever showed a design.!!
So this Retard just wants to say good luck to the OP and Happy new year to every one else. .:beer:

blackburn mark
02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
designed by someone who obviously doesn't know the first thing about design other than it has to look cool and bling ?

a touch of venom in my opinion, not aimed at any useful goal or conclusion other than to dismiss a fellow attempting to achieve a goal by "asking"

Doesn't work like that.
To "hot" for you, that's fine, I understand your fear, litigation is pretty subjective and I have a different opinion on the issue

blackburn mark
02-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Mark we all know you don't like me and thats fine by me
"we all" (whoever they are) and you are under a misconception jazz, indeed there are times I see you like a lord of the rings cave troll stomping around with your size 11's and i like to on occasion offset some of what I see as heavy handedness
try not to hold that against me.

Now the really stupid part on the OP is the fact I'd have Glady helped on both design and machining the part just for the price of the material and the challenge. (Oh and if you/he doubt's this just ask the many others on the forum I've helped with machining FOC )
For the price of Ali he would have had the experience of an Honda trained engineer with over 10yrs experience working for HRC the racing and development division. I've had and tested or destroyed more custom bits thru my hands than he's had petrol thru the bike.
So this Retard just wants to say good luck to the OP and Happy new year to every one else.

iv seen you pull this card on a few occasions jazz and it puzzles me... you pull it out whenever you have carved massive chasm of discord between yourself and your adversary ? what puzzles me is why do you bother to describe how much your adversary is missing out in not having you as a buddy ?
it seems a little pointless... is it a Yorkshire thing ?

Peter.
02-01-2013, 03:02 PM
I actually said I thought the design was strong enough and he's even turned his attack on me. I have modded the exact same part on my much heavier and very much more powerful bike, was given similar criticism on another forum and the part has held up under all conditions so I DO have some small amount of experience in the matter. I couldn't make the part and wasn't offering to, just lending a constructive comment.

The OP doesn't deserve any help or constructive comments because he thinks and acts like a juvenile with his petulance and he's shown his mettle to any prospective interest with his arrogance and abuse. I doubt he's even old enough to hold a license to ride the bike - he certainly doesn't appear mature enough.

Pehaps if he stamps his feet a bit more and demands people listen to him a part will pop up out the floor and be gold plated to boot.

Ricardoco
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Perhaps we should let this thread get back on track. This chap has asked for an estimate for a part, lets let him get on with getting one. I do however hope he gets some manners.

Rick

JAZZCNC
02-01-2013, 03:35 PM
iv seen you pull this card on a few occasions jazz and it puzzles me... you pull it out whenever you have carved massive chasm of discord between yourself and your adversary ?
Erm first If you read again my first post then I didn't carve anything just a bit of advise given in good faith.! It's not my fault if the OP took it has attitude it was certainly not meant that way.

what puzzles me is why do you bother to describe how much your adversary is missing out in not having you as a buddy ?
it seems a little pointless... is it a Yorkshire thing ?

Second I don't see anyone has adversary and the point of my comment was to show that if the OP treat people with a bit more courtesy he could be surprised by the help he'd get back in return and in this case specificly from some one with experience of the exact sort thing he wants done and the tools to get it done.

Employing Courtesy goes along way and cost's nothing.!! Dishing out insults takes the same effort and cost's plenty. . . In this case the probably £45hr labour for an engineer.??

Lee Roberts
02-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi guys,

I think enough has been said here now; there is all sorts being said and flying about.

I don’t see the thread will need to be continued in favour of the original request and that being a “RFQ”, if anyone would like to contact Ratch regarding this “RFQ”, please do so via the PM system.

Employing Courtesy goes along way and cost's nothing.!! Dishing out insults takes the same effort and cost's plenty.

Definitely agreed, sorry guys but in courtesy to everyone this is now locked. :(

:link: Community & Forum Rules - PLEASE READ ! (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/announcements-maintenance-notice/5058-community-forum-rules-please-read.html)

.Me