PDA

View Full Version : Mach3 on Laptop

Lovre
01-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi guys ...

Need some help ...

I wanted to use my old laptop, Thinkpad T61 and docking station(has parallel port) to control my machine and was trying to set it up almost whole afternoon to find out then(after reading some stuff on Airsoft website) that you cannot use laptops with Mach3.

Is this really true ?

Can something be done ?

blackburn mark
01-01-2013, 08:54 PM
its been done plenty by all accounts, I think most issued are related to voltage
laptops generally use 3.3v on their ports.... ish i think? ?
5.5v for a desktop
some fail to work and some get by so don't despair just yet :)

if you cant find any reference to your model of laptop running mach its a suck it and see

m_c
01-01-2013, 08:56 PM
It depends on the parallel port.
Mach has got to be able to control the parallel port directly through windows, and you may very well find the port on the docking station goes through an extra controller in a similar way a usb to parallel adapter does.

There is also the thing that the port may only output 3.3V signals, however a good quality BOB will solve that problem.

If you do want to use the laptop, then look at some of the external motion controllers.
There are quite a few available depending on budget, but Warp9td Smoothstepper and PureLogic boards spring to mind (Zapp sell the PL stuff).

Lovre
01-01-2013, 08:57 PM
its been done plenty by all accounts, I think most issued are related to voltage
laptops generally use 3.3v on their ports.... ish i think? ?
5.5v for a desktop
some fail to work and some get by so don't despair just yet :)

if you cant find any reference to your model of laptop running mach its a suck it and see

I think it is not voltage problem.. I was measuring and it has some 4,2 V on parallel port... It is something else...

I just want to know if there is some workaround?

John S
01-01-2013, 09:04 PM
What part of

"IT WILL NOT WORK ON A LAPTOP "

Do you not understand.

Why not ring Fanuc who's system only costs £10,000 and ask they why they need a dedicated controller.
For Christs sake i can buy suitable desktops for far less money than a decent laptop.

Lovre
01-01-2013, 09:08 PM
What part of

Do you not understand.

Why not ring Fanuc who's system only costs £10,000 and ask they why they need a dedicated controller.
For Christs sake i can buy suitable desktops for far less money than a decent laptop.

Thanks... When I get reply like this I feel sorry for asking... Even for joining this forum... For Christs sake...

blackburn mark
01-01-2013, 09:23 PM
What part of

Do you not understand.

no harm in having a bash is there

i'm sure fanuc,s ten grands worth is all well n good.... I opted for a £60 atom :)

blackburn mark
01-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks... When I get reply like this I feel sorry for asking... Even for joining this forum... For Christs sake...

don't let the bullshit get you down man :)

Swarfing
01-01-2013, 09:44 PM
A laptop has a lot more power saving functions which interrupt parallel and serial ports. The way APIC/ LAPIC works on a laptop is different too causing things to close down. Head John's advice is what i would say.

WandrinAndy
01-01-2013, 10:21 PM

Take it with a pinch of salt... It's just a manner of speaking....

Btw, I'm a grumpy old man who recently became a non-smoker..... And I'm p£$%ed off that it was such a lousy and lonely Festive Season... but it's back to normal tomorrow and 2013 will be far better :-)

Web Goblin
01-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Just looking at Artsofts site and it says on the first page that it can be used with a laptop providing you use an external motion controller. Maybe this is how to get round the wont work on a laptop problem.

blackburn mark
01-01-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm a grumpy old man who recently became a non-smoker

give them electric cigs a go !! they are a winner :)
and cheer up ! spring is on its way

WandrinAndy
01-01-2013, 11:18 PM
give them electric cigs a go !! they are a winner :)
and cheer up ! spring is on its way

Thanks Mark! I am actually personally feeling very cheery today...because the season is over! Although xmas 2012 was shite for me, xmas 2013 will be great as I will again be with my daughters and grandkids!! And as you say spring is almost here ;-)

My little post spiel was more of a funny way of suggesting that this time of year can be unhappy for many folk, for various seasonal reasons, which may make them appear grumpier than usual.

Flamin hell... first day of the year and I'm getting all philosophical while sober... ;-)

Tomorrow marks 7 weeks as a non-smoker, so it's going very well......

JAZZCNC
02-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I use a Laptop and it does have a PP port that works with Mach.!! . . . . . BADLY and UNRELIABLY.

To use Laptop and have a stable working system 100% NEEDS a motion controller. The advantages over the PP make it well worth the money alone and the convenience of using Laptop for me is ideal.

You will have nothing but trouble and wasted time if you pursue a PP Laptop.

Edit: A motion controller also means you can use Mach on 64bit windows machine has well as the most basic Laptop.!