PDA

View Full Version : Its all about knowing when to give up!!!!

motoxy
03-01-2013, 05:55 PM
I have had so much pleasure from my cnc. Big thanks to all of you that helped. But yesterday was one of those days when the writing was on the wall for one project.

I turned a bowl with a wide edge and wanted to carve a pattern around the edge and a carving inside. I used one of the free 3dvector objects.

Glued the bowl to a block and fixed it to the bed. Surfaced down to the required thicknes of rim and then put in a 6mm end mill to rough out for the internal carving. Forgot to reset the zero and managed to plunge 12mm deeper than the craving was supposed to be. Got annoyed and pulled it back. Checked th file to make sure it was not a fault in that and rerun the file. Gues what i forgot to do again...........................

So finally got it roughed out and put in the only 2mm ball end i had and remembered to zero. Ran the file and the end mil broke. Oh joy. Re-did the file for 3mm ball end and completed the carving. Put in the v bit for the top carving and somehow lent on the page down and pushed the bit right through the edge of the bowl. Got myself together and started to run the edge file. Bet you cannot guess what I forgot to do? Plunged 12mm into the plate with a 12mm vbit. Finished the edge and decided that its all your fault.!! Fancy letting nutter like me loose on a cnc.

So I went to put it back up on the lathe just to blend the carved centre to the outer rim and found that I had cut the holding rebate to small. Oh well nicest firewood you can get!!

On the plus side I have cut some beautiful lithophanes in Corian, only a few holes Honest.

Bruce

BedlamRik
03-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Thats the most beautiful colander I have ever seen:devilish:

At least you have a CNC, I'm still dreaming about mine. Never mind Bruce, you know It's time for a Brew when that happens.
Rick.

Saracen
03-01-2013, 07:25 PM
If only the Hamlet adverts were still running on telly ...

I've had days like that wiring up modules. There's only two ways to wire it and I got all of them the wrong way round. Good job I'm paranoid and always check against the plan before testing them :culpability:

Adrian.

martin54
03-01-2013, 07:28 PM
bit of filler & it will be as good as new Bruce lol, or you could always cut it in a bit there & same on other side & say it's an aid to carrying the plate.

JAZZCNC
04-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Put the Bottle down Bruce it helps. . :angel: