PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: BP Series1 CNC Maintenance manual

Norman12
09-01-2013, 11:14 AM
My first post,
I'm in the process of retro-fitting a Series one Bridgeport CNC - servo driven MDI.
The machine has been striped, cleaned and painted. The new electrics and servo drives (Granite Devices) are mostly complete and bench tested.

I'm at the re-build stage and my first problem is meter units in the lubrication system, half a dozen seem to be blocked even after a long soak in acetone.
I can get replacements, but I'm having difficulty cross referencing part numbers. The units installed are stamped IM with the following numbers 22,23,24 and 25. They don't appear to be Bijur types.

Is anyone familiar with these meter units and have a Bijur cross reference?
I have the maintenance manual for the series two which is helpful, but not the series one. If I had this a should be able to cross reference it myself.
Does anyone have a copy of the series one maintenance manual?

Thanks for all your help.

m_c
09-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Have you tried asking on Activity Stream - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/activity.php) or Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/)?
Those are the two sites that spring to mind where you'll likely find an answer.

Failing that Bijur have a good guide on Single Line system design at http://www.bijurdelimon.com/fileadmin/products/docs/bdius/Brochures/258_SYS_Single-Line-Resistance_BR.pdf

Out of curiousity, where are you getting the parts?
I'm currently waiting for some new pipe to arrive to fix a leak to see if my autolube is working as it should, however I'm expecting to need some new metering units.

Norman12
09-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Cheers m_c,

I'll try a post there too.

Lubetec are Bijur reps.
I haven't contacted them yet.
Lubetec UK-Centralised Lubrication Systems (http://www.lubetec.co.uk/#/centralised-lubrication/4537529859)

Arc Euro trade also stock what look like compatible units, but knowing which ones are needed on each oil point is my problem.
If I had the maintenance manual I could cross reference from other types.

Thanks for your help.

GEOFFREY
11-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi, you could try lathes.co for a manual. G

Swarfing
11-01-2013, 06:22 PM
PM me your email :-)

Norman12
11-01-2013, 06:44 PM
PM me your email :-)

Pm sent, cheers.

Swarfing
11-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Huge mail coming in!

Swarfing
11-01-2013, 11:52 PM
The files are too big and bomb out so will send you the link where i got mine from

m_c
15-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Did you work out what metering units you need yet?

I ended up stripping the autolube on my mill (it's a shizouka ST-N - think bridgeport size but heavier!), as when I took the burst pipe of, I could see the first distribution block was full of sludge. Carburetor cleaner worked wonders at cleaning the sludge out, and managed to get good flow through all but 4 of the metering units. The ones that didn't clear were full of black solidified dirt/oil.

If it's any help, on the Shizouka, the 6 metering units on the table are 2's (there's 2 for each x-axis slideway, and 1 for each of the y-axis slideway). The 6 covering the knee are all 1's and the solitary quill unit is a 2. The ballscrews all rely on grease.

I had already found Lubetec via google, so I filled in their contact form with what I needed on sunday night, and I had a full quote back on monday morning. I phoned today to pay for it, so should have all the bits by the end of the week to get everything working.

m_c
15-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Have you checked the Hardinge online parts lists? - Hardinge ECommnerce - Parts List (http://uk.shophardinge.com/partslist.aspx)

Norman12
25-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I’ve made progress.
The guys at Lubetec (UK) and Hardinge (UK) have been very helpful.

The IM units are Interlube parts. Below is the cross reference with Bijur.
IM22 = FJB0/3
IM23 = FJB00
IM24 = FJB0
IM25 = FJB1

Hardinge (UK) didn’t have the full schematic, just the X and Y details.
From all the info I’ve got this is what I think is required.

Bridgeport series 1 CNC MDI (mechanically identical to an R2E3) lubrication meters.
Knee RH – 0/3
Knee Jack Screw – 0/3
Knee LH – 0/3
Y Ballscrew -00
X ballscrew -1
Saddle L and R – 0
Table (all meters) – 1
From the first 3-way manifold after the pump it splits off to the head via a single meter unit. This single FJB -0/3 meter is there as an anti-syphon device (I think, as this seems a bit strange to me).
Quill – 00
Z Ballscrew – 0
Back gear Slide – 0

Thanks for all your help!

m_c
26-01-2013, 12:30 AM
The head still needs a metering unit of some kind, although on my shizouka the metering unit is on the head itself.
Even if the pipe up to the head was to syphon back, air quickly passes through the metering units.

Norman12
26-01-2013, 03:40 PM
The head still needs a metering unit of some kind, although on my shizouka the metering unit is on the head itself.
Even if the pipe up to the head was to syphon back, air quickly passes through the metering units.

Yes, the head has meters - Quill, Z ballscrew and back gear slide.
All these are fed from an FJB-0/3 on the first manifold. It is this that I thought strange, why not use a higher flow meter here, or at least one that can pass the same amount of lube as the 3 it preceeds combined.

I have ordered some spares of each rate so I can experiment a little, the feed tubes I'm using are transparent so I can see the lube as it flows through the system.

m_c
26-01-2013, 07:57 PM
That does seem a bit bizarre. With that there, I'd doubt if you end up with any lubrication at the head, as the the pressure is going to be severly limited before it even reaches the metering units at the head.
I wonder if somebody has previously been at it, and swapped a straight through fitting for a metering unit?

You didn't happen to order any spare FJB2s?
I could do with one more, but I'd rather avoid paying more for postage than the unit!

Norman12
26-01-2013, 10:55 PM
That does seem a bit bizarre. With that there, I'd doubt if you end up with any lubrication at the head, as the the pressure is going to be severly limited before it even reaches the metering units at the head.
I wonder if somebody has previously been at it, and swapped a straight through fitting for a metering unit?

You didn't happen to order any spare FJB2s?
I could do with one more, but I'd rather avoid paying more for postage than the unit!

My thoughts exactly. I'll probably leave that one out and keep an eye on the lube through the tube.

Sorry m_c, I didn't order any FJB2s, FJB1 is the highest flow used on this Mill.

John S
27-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Have you seen the metering units sold by Arc ?

m_c
27-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Yeah, but they don't do any that are imperial in. It screws into a 8 way imperial junction block, with a 5/32" (4mm fits) pipe out.
I'll get another FJB at some point, but I'm in no rush as it's one of two that cover the same slide and the oil groove runs the full length so oil does get to where it's needed.