PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me what these are?

oscar
09-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Hi all, a guy from another forum I'm on found these in his loft and we've all been trying to figure out what they are. So far we have no definate answer, so I thought I'd give you clever lot a chance.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/10/eby7ane7.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/10/hepajepe.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/10/u7uza7as.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/10/ra3upesy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/10/2any9ynu.jpg

Swarfing
09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Get out quick Sten grenades :surprise:

Only joking

oscar
09-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Ha ha. Yeah we've been through the grenade stage. Best we can think of at the moment is something for spinning rope or similar.

Ricardoco
09-01-2013, 09:55 PM
They actually look like the innards of a parifin burner/heater with a wick feeder.

Rick

oscar
09-01-2013, 09:56 PM
They actually look like the innards of a parifin burner/heater with a wick feeder.

Rick

Sounds promising. Ill have a google on that.

Ricardoco
09-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Sounds promising. Ill have a google on that.

maybe there is a combined horizontal chimney flue that connects them together but is missing, yep im probably totally wrong but an orangerie or greenhouse heater possibly victorian or a little later and mounted high up hence the need for the wick mech and the wires.. LOL

Rick

John S
09-01-2013, 10:37 PM
They are lights for the end of the tunnel if you buy a Strike machine.

kingcreaky
10-01-2013, 08:43 PM
ive asked several people.. the consensus is grenades. ww1

Ricardoco
10-01-2013, 08:53 PM
ive asked several people.. the consensus is grenades. ww1 Yep i agree and that 8" drain they are on tells me they were for all those soldiers who had 26" biceps, and hands like shovels..

LMAO

Rick

oscar
11-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Yep i agree and that 8" drain they are on tells me they were for all those soldiers who had 26" biceps, and hands like shovels..

LMAO

Rick

They are pretty big.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/11/tesumany.jpg
Not my drawing by the way. :))

GEOFFREY
11-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Who uses CENTIMETERS ? Stick to mm or good old inches! G.

Treemonkey
11-01-2013, 10:40 AM
In those last 2 pictures on the first post what material are those rollers (if they are rollers lol) made from?

oscar
11-01-2013, 11:06 AM
In those last 2 pictures on the first post what material are those rollers (if they are rollers lol) made from?

Not sure what they're made of, but have been told they have a velvety coating.

oscar
11-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Just move the decimal point if it makes you happy. :)

Treemonkey
11-01-2013, 11:11 AM
That is my idea out the window then! Thought they may have been some sort of scratter used for grinding apples into a pulp.

Saracen
11-01-2013, 12:09 PM
How does the big L shaped arm/bracket in the third picture fit into the system ?

Adrian.

oscar
11-01-2013, 12:27 PM
How does the big L shaped arm/bracket in the third picture fit into the system ?

Adrian.

This is a description from the guy that found them.

"Firstly, with the bracket, the top part of the unit can rotate in there quite easily, its looks like there might have been a ball bearing in there at some point as there is a dish to the very top part of the unit and a dent in the bottom of the bracket which would allow it to rotate.
The ratchet and rollers: when the bar below the cogs is pushed in, it releases a brake below the rollers but the rollers can still move on the ratchet mechanism. The left hand roller can be moved (it feels like its sprung) to allow whatever to be threaded through then the brake could do its work. The rollers are covered in a velvet like material too.."

John S
11-01-2013, 03:23 PM

Dressmakers and the BBC.

GEOFFREY
11-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Dressmakers and the BBC.

Who makes yout dresses John? You obviously know something about it.

BBC - probably most of them are pink!!! G.

John S
11-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Can't afford to have any made, I usually get Jonathan's cast off's

Swarfing
12-01-2013, 12:15 AM
What even his mini's John? he promised them to me!!! Mind you Jazz was after them as well?

JAZZCNC
13-01-2013, 12:57 AM
What even his mini's John? he promised them to me!!! Mind you Jazz was after them as well?

I knew that little shit was two timing me.!! . . . Mind who could resist a cracking pair like yours 2eOpoz. . Lol . . . . Anyway I'm holding out for his Man-kini.!! That or a pair of Mrs Brown's inflatable tits.

Swarfing
13-01-2013, 11:48 AM
PMSL...They were brilliant and have to get the missus some me thinks :hysterical:

cropwell
13-01-2013, 11:51 AM
What's that on the top of the drawing? Is it just a mounting bolt or is there some feed hole though it ?
I think the best guess so far is an oil burning heater.
I presume there are no clues like maker or patent stamped anywhere, and can you describe the materials it is made of please!
Cheers,

Rob

oscar
14-01-2013, 09:17 PM
What's that on the top of the drawing? Is it just a mounting bolt or is there some feed hole though it ?
I think the best guess so far is an oil burning heater.
I presume there are no clues like maker or patent stamped anywhere, and can you describe the materials it is made of please!
Cheers,

Rob

Sorry it took so long.
This is the top of the wide part.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/15/by4yjy4y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/15/8ugajatu.jpg
You can see the dished part where there may have been a ball bearing. Don't know material for sure, but the end cap looks like old pitted Ali to me.

GEOFFREY
14-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Oscar, I have sent an email to Victorian greenhouse/hothouse expert and have referred him to your post. I don't know if he will respond. G.

oscar
14-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Oscar, I have sent an email to Victorian greenhouse/hothouse expert and have referred him to your post. I don't know if he will respond. G.

Great stuff, thanks. The thread on my other forum is slowing down a bit, as no one has a definate answer. Fingers crossed your man can help.

Ricardoco
15-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Do I get a medal if I was right!!! LOL Rick

oscar
15-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Do I get a medal if I was right!!! LOL Rick

There may be a small prize, that will be of no value whatsoever! :)

oscar
17-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Deathly silence! Lol

GEOFFREY
17-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Oscar, the chap I emailed was Mike Gilmore, but I have heard nothing back yet and I presume that you havn't either. He is the person who restored the hothouse/greenhouse at Winsford gardens and did some research on hothouse heating systems. G.

I suspect that Riccardo is correct as to what they are, and probably does deserve that medal - unless someone knows better!!

BillTodd
17-01-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't think they are wick feeders; If you look at the ratchet mechanism, it is designed to pull whatever into the larger cylinder - A wick feeder would surely feed into the longer 'chimney'

If the dimple in the small shaft is a 'bearing', then in all likelihood the dimple would be at the bottom (to rest on something) . That would mean the ratchet mechanism is pulling something down into the to larger cylinder perhaps while being twisted (hence requiring a bearing)

This picture:

appears to show a rod or linkage travelling along the long cylinder , If so, if this were pulled up it would increment the puller (rotating both ribbed rollers) [edit] if this is the same device as one of the other pictures, then there is no rod - it is just the flattened seam on the long cylinder.

The rollers looks pretty well flattened across their entire width, which could mean the thing being pulled is a tape or ribbon. There does not seem to be any adjustment to change the roller spacing so the ribbon may have been compliant (squashy & springy)

The black colour and general lack of decoration suggests some very utilitarian use - possibly military or industrial

Are there any clear pictures of the inside of the large cylinder part? (showing the mechanism and perhaps what operates it)

oscar
17-01-2013, 09:13 PM
This is a pic with the large part removed.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/18/a9avyry7.jpg

BillTodd
17-01-2013, 11:57 PM
That's the bit I'm calling the large part (large=wide) :)

Some further thoughts:(in random order)

I believe/guess the aluminium casting dates this to mid 20thC - probably post WWII.

The long cylinder is screwed to the central casting meaning it was not easy to remove. Since the ratchet clearly pulls towards to the larger part, it would have been difficult to thread the whatever between the rollers - suggesting that once set-up the unit was not disturbed too often.

So, I wonder if it is somekind of tensioning device ?

In what part of the UK was it found? (e.g. Lancashire might suggest spinning or weaving use, South coast rope making etc. )

Were there just the three of them?

Ricardoco
18-01-2013, 01:05 AM
That's the bit I'm calling the large part (large=wide) :)

Some further thoughts:(in random order)

I believe/guess the aluminium casting dates this to mid 20thC - probably post WWII.

The long cylinder is screwed to the central casting meaning it was not easy to remove. Since the ratchet clearly pulls towards to the larger part, it would have been difficult to thread the whatever between the rollers - suggesting that once set-up the unit was not disturbed too often.

So, I wonder if it is somekind of tensioning device ?

In what part of the UK was it found? (e.g. Lancashire might suggest spinning or weaving use, South coast rope making etc. )

Were there just the three of them?

Im thinking you are right with the dating, but i cannot see how it would be a tentioning system as this would pull away from the bearing and not onto it.

The ratchet system does as you say appear to feed down and not up, but there is also another what appears to be a sliding rod behind the side of the ratchet mech itself possibly the spring bar for the non return part of the ratchet. another note is that the push part of the ratchet doesnt look like it was designed to be pushed often, this suggests its not part of a large production machine.

It would appear whatever goes between the rollers is flat and as wide as the rollers which would not be like any rope ive ever seen, weaving Hmmm now thats another matter, most material is flat. I do wonder if there is anything missing from the assembly that would give the game away.. There must be someone who knows..

Rick

Shinobiwan
18-01-2013, 07:19 AM
They're robot dildo's. Trust me on this!