PDA

View Full Version : Machineable foam

craigrobbo
18-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Hey guys,

As a hobby I build and race model cars, However as my collection over time has grown so has my battery collection(mostly lithium polymer) I want to purchase a metal case and use foam inside to protect my batteries, I would really like to machine the foam out to fit each battery to keep them separate inside.

Does anyone know of any foam that is easily machinable but also soft enough for protection?

Thanks

Craig

martin54
18-01-2013, 09:19 PM
If it's just for batteries then it wouldn't need to be to soft. Really just to keep them from clattering about in the case so pretty much any sort of foam would do. Generally the denser the foam the more expensive it is. You would get good results with a soft foam & a craft knife with a bit of care. That's probably how I would do it.

Bazzer
03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
You want to use a polyethalene grade of foam, plastazote have a few different grades (Used for tool trays/shadow boards). If you struggle to find any let me know, I have a few bits kicking around.

mocha
03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
I've never got good results using a craft knife to cut foam, however, a wet bread knife is brilliant!

JAZZCNC
03-02-2013, 08:02 PM
You want to use a polyethalene grade of foam, plastazote have a few different grades (Used for tool trays/shadow boards). If you struggle to find any let me know, I have a few bits kicking around.

Yipee your first post.!! . . . Welcome Si . :applouse:

I've never got good results using a craft knife to cut foam, however, a wet bread knife is brilliant!

I Your not supposed to use it in the bath for making rubber ducks thou Max.! :joker:

Bazzer
03-02-2013, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=JAZZCNC;41973]Yipee your first post.!! . . . Welcome Si . :applouse:

Thnx Jazz, still recovering from finding out who the man behind the mask is !!!!!

mocha
03-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Your not supposed to use it in the bath for making rubber ducks thou Max.! :joker:

Ha! that's been easier since they let me near the anything sharp! :hysterical: "Get your foam ducks here!" All proceeds to the "Home for mechanically afflicted"

That could be a typo...

JAZZCNC
03-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Thnx Jazz, still recovering from finding out who the man behind the mask is !!!!!

Now you know you do realise Paul will try to screw you for better discount. .:hysterical: