PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Simple job cutting simple shapes out of camera lens cap

RockandGrohl
31-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Hello,

I have some lens caps here and I'd like some simple shapes cut into them, I was wondering if you could help me out.

The caps are overall 6x6cm and the area on them for cutting is a mere 5x5cm. The thickness is about 2-3mm thick.

I've attached a picture of the sort of thing I want. So it would be a complete cut out. I can file it smooth on my end, I just need it cutting.

Other shapes I have is a star, christmas tree and flower.

The designs need to be centred exactly in the middle of the inner circle on the lens cap.

If anyone can get back to me on my email or post here that would be good, cheers!

I'm in the Wiltshire area, by the way.

- Chris

birchy
31-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Clamping something like that to a mill bed/vice would be a PITA. Personally, I think you'd be better off drilling/filing/sanding the shapes. Depending on the type of plastic, you might get decent results cutting it with a hot wire.

TonyD
31-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Dont know if it could be cut by laser without issues with the plastic? Not that I have a laser machine anyway but it might get around the clamping issue. This is the kind of thing I had in mind: Lasersaur by Nortd Labs (http://labs.nortd.com/lasersaur/)

oscar
31-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Clamping something like that to a mill bed/vice would be a PITA. Personally, I think you'd be better off drilling/filing/sanding the shapes. Depending on the type of plastic, you might get decent results cutting it with a hot wire.

Easy enough to make a little jig.

John S
31-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Doddle to do on a laser but depends on material, lasers can't do PVC

If you want to send me a sample cap and artwork I'd willingly bung one on the laser.

GEOFFREY
31-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Hi. if John has no luck with the laser I am sure I can make A jig and do it on the router (0.5mm cutter), but like John would need a sample and art work,
preferably DXF. G.

RockandGrohl
01-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Hi. if John has no luck with the laser I am sure I can make A jig and do it on the router (0.5mm cutter), but like John would need a sample and art work,
preferably DXF. G.

As it's plastic this is probably my best bet - what does DXF. G. mean?

Thanks. If you email me with what you need from me I can email back :)

Clive S
01-02-2013, 09:00 AM
"As it's plastic this is probably my best bet - what does DXF. G. mean?"

.DXF is a common drawing file format exchange and the G is probably short for Geoffrey.

GEOFFREY
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Spot on Clive!! Have sent PM. G.

John S
01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
OK sent an email but it all depends on the material. If it's hard plastic then it's probably OK, soft piable plastic may make it PVC which is a no no as it gives off poison gas and hydrochloric acid.

Simple heart shape like shown will take about 10 seconds to cut as being non contact it's very quick.

RockandGrohl
01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
It's hard plastic, definitely not pliable. I've been trying to cut a shape using a heavy duty scalpel and I can only seem to score it :(

I'll send it today I expect.

blackburn mark
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM
It's hard plastic, definitely not pliable. I've been trying to cut a shape using a heavy duty scalpel and I can only seem to score it :(

I'll send it today I expect.

I bought a slack handful of this type of lens cap from ebay I'm 90% sure they are ABS

RockandGrohl
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
So is ABS a good plastic to cut on a milling machine? When I was asking for them to be cut I didn't think it would be like.. laser tools and stuff. At school (years ago!) we had to cut into Acrylic and it was a CNC machine that just kind of.. lathed them out? I don't know how to describe it. Like a spinning blade that moved according to the design you had on the 'puter. I was thinking of hiring someone with the same thing. Hopefully G man can help me out here haha.

RockandGrohl
19-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Hi John, well as Geoff has probably already let you know, I sent him a selection of 5 lens caps I bought off ebay which cut beautifully. I then bought 100 from China and had them sent over, I sent them to Geoff and when he tried to cut them they melted, indicating a different plastic. Do you think your laser would be able to cut them? I need to have 100 cut for my personal project, and am willing to pay. Unfortunately I missed the opportunity with working with Geoff because of these new circumstances but as everyone on here probably already knows he's a top bloke :)

John S
20-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Geoff has been on the phone today and is sending a cap over and some artwork so i'll give it a try.

RockandGrohl
20-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Geoff has been on the phone today and is sending a cap over and some artwork so i'll give it a try.

Great news, thank you very much :)