PDA

View Full Version : Chester MF42B Lathe Wiring Issues

kingcreaky
16-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Evening Gentlemen.

So Ive got this Chester MF42B Lathe

Problem ive got with it, is that the direction switch needs to be held on in order to apply any kind of pressure to the work peace...

For example... press the on button... nothing happens unless you select a direction (bottom switch) you select a direction and it runs fine with (no hands)... however as soon as you start even gently pushing the tool into the workpeace the machine stops. You then have to press the direction button again for it to carry on.

Im not sure if this is a safety device, or perhaps the switch is knackered... so far it hasnt really caused me too much of a headache as ive had a cunning solution

this has been fine, until now. because its only me using it. However I think im going to sell it. and put the money towards a bigger machine as my biggest issue with it is that the throat is only 25mm and the chuck is really small. So im thinking about buying a bigger machine because the last three jobs ive gone to use it for the machine has not been big enough

including todays job... making the spindle brackets.

So my point for posting is as follows... any idea whats wrong with it? Do you think the functionality is a 'feature' or a 'fault'. Do you think il be able to replace the switch? or do you think I should leave it alone and explain all of the above in the ebay ad?

m_c
16-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Switch should be easy enough to replace, and won't cost that much.
It's the same control box used on various chinese lathes, and I'm pretty sure the switch is a standard size.

A quick search for a DPDT rocker switch threw up this on ebay - 6P DPDT Rocker Switch on-on 16A 250V 2 Circuits 2 Positions 6.3mm Terminals | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6P-DPDT-Rocker-Switch-on-on-16A-250V-2-Circuits-2-Positions-6-3mm-Terminals-/200714323205?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Suppl ies_ET&hash=item2ebb818505)
Just check the dimensions of the panel cut-out are correct, and the rubber boot should swap across.

ptjw7uk
17-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Is this happening in a cold workshop, as my chester lathe will not latch on until the switch has warmed up from b.....cold! after which it behaves as normal. I think the device has a fluid inside it!

Peter

m_c
17-02-2013, 08:40 PM
From what I've seen of these things, there's no overload/thermal cut-out, it's simply a relay to hold power on, with the rocker switch to swap the start capacitor connections so the motor will reverse (if you flip the switch with the motor running, it won't change direction).

They shouldn't be affected by temperature...

ptjw7uk
18-02-2013, 10:15 AM
If it was a relay then on mine it should go in and stay there. On mine the power button also trips when the chuck shield is raised or the gear cover is opened. When you press the power on button it normally clicks if all the cutouts are closed but in the cold weather it doesnt click until its warmed up. I would have thought a relay would not be affected by temperature.
The direction reversing switch is separate. On mine if you flip the switch when running you will blow the start capacitor(did that once).

Peter

m_c
18-02-2013, 02:21 PM
The start/stop and direction are seperate, with the start/stop relay being connected through the saftey switches.

Must of been a rubbish capacitor on yours, as I've flipped the switch on my lathe a few times, and other than a bit clunk as the voltage changes through the capacitor/motor, nothing else happens.