PDA

View Full Version : A learning process

cropwell
21-02-2013, 03:20 PM
This week's lesson is -

Keep fingers away from spinning cutters.

I learnt this on Tuesday when I went to clean up near a cutter I thought had stopped.

On the plus side my fingernail biting will be reduced by 10%. Fortunately I only lost the fingernail :stupid:

Happy Days,

Rob

Robin Hewitt
21-02-2013, 03:58 PM
I learnt that having you fingernail removed with local anaesthetic doesn't hurt at all and stiches in the fingernail bed are not half as bad as you might expect.

I may also have learnt not to stuff my finger into a bandsaw, only time will tell :whistle:

martin54
21-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Been there done that & got the "T" shirt lol, I was working for far to many hours without a break, using a router on one of those router tables where the router is mounted on a plate below the machine & cutter pokes through a hole.
Ran a bit of wood through to give it a profile & before I ran the next bit threw I brushed away the sawdust with my hand without stopping the machine !!
Very stupid but shows what tiredness can do, took the very tip of one finger off so was quite lucky I didn't do more damage. Other lesson I learned was to go to the hospital straight away & not wait a few days until one of the kids asks what the funny smell is lol
Tip of that finger is still sensitive if touched & that was about 8 years ago if not longer.

cropwell
21-02-2013, 07:12 PM
I am lucky that the pad of the finger was not damaged - I play guitar. Years ago a friend smashed his left hand doing something on his car. He had the hospital plaster him in a particular way and he was on stage that evening playing the organ.

I had the pleasure of a local anaesthetic and laughing gas when the nurse practitioner pulled off the nail and stitched the nail bed.

I am thankful that my hobby doesn't involve guns.....

D.C.
21-02-2013, 07:27 PM
I learned that you should not use very sharp pointy knives to open adhesive gun tubes when distracted. I also learned that the arteries in your hand can expel fluid out to a distance of 25ft and doctors really, really suck at doing stitches.

They really should teach you these things in school...

r0bsk1
21-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Cyanoacrylate is brill for sealing wounds