PDA

View Full Version : Free Software ?

WollyUK
05-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Hello,

Are there any free softwares to actually do the running of the machine? We only need it for a Uni project to carve into some PCB board?

Rgds.

JAZZCNC
05-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Hello,

Are there any free softwares to actually do the running of the machine? We only need it for a Uni project to carve into some PCB board?

Rgds.

If by "Running" you mean control software then there's EMC for unix machines which I believe is free. . . . Or Mach3 lets you run upto 500 lines of G-code without a license. If your savy with the G-code and split the job up into parts then 500 lines can get you a fair way.!

WollyUK
05-03-2012, 06:35 PM
If by "Running" you mean control software then there's EMC for unix machines which I believe is free. . . . Or Mach3 lets you run upto 500 lines of G-code without a license. If your savy with the G-code and split the job up into parts then 500 lines can get you a fair way.!

Thanks for that.

We have only got to do a small job with it. Even though i'm not too sure if 500 lines is alot or not. But i shall find out.

Regards.

russell
06-03-2012, 09:59 AM
If 500 lines is not enough you will find EMC here: http://www.linuxcnc.org/ It is free and open source.

You do not need a "Unix machine" to run it. It can be downloaded and burned onto a cd to make a "live disk". It comes complete with the Ubuntu operating system (a flavour of Linux) and can be installed to dual boot alongside Windows on a normal PC. One caveat; it doesn't like NVIDEA graphics cards.:sad:

Russell.

Musht
21-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Just do some thread dredging because its how a lot of people find suggestions id through search.

As a CNC , very, newbie have settled, as in wedged out for, Meshcam, 175 USD at time of writing

http://www.grzsoftware.com

Ease of use was a major point , for someone not unfamiliar with 3D CAD but new to 3D machining, found the interface friendly and straightforward.

Choice of features seems good especialy compared against some of the very expensive offerings, depends how much integration want in the one program guess.

Deciding factor for me is the very good BMP import feature, can refine a picture in a.n.other graphics program and import the bmp/jpg/png into Meshcam to turn into a basrelief, expensive feature to do well elsewhere.

Cheers
Adam