PDA

View Full Version : Google Sketchup >> Vectric VCarve

kingcreaky
06-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi all.

So, some of you may already know im reasonably new to this, so only finding my way around software. ive not officially chosen what software I intend to use. so open to suggestions if im barking up the wrong tree.

Ive presently had a lot of success with vcarve... well im pleased anyway...

Im trying to move to the next step, and draw something in a cad package. then import it into vcarve so that I can set toolpaths. Im presently using google sketchup free with the free dxf plugin

in sketchup i draw a rectangle

i then draw a rectangle on top. (I wish to pocket this area out)

I then save it as a dxf >> milimeters >> lines

and open it in vcarve

lovely.

but when I select a rectangle it doesnt quite understand!

Ive found the 'Node Edit' options, but the only option that seems to help is to delete a point. but then i have to re-draw the line (which just isnt ideal or accurate)

Its as-if each of the rectangles dont remain vectors? Ive tried ungrouping but thats greyed out.

At the moment, it appears the only real option ive got it to attempt to draw accurately directly in vcarve. but as its missing standard tools like snap to line, center point, the ability to type in a value when using the tape measure. its a bit awkard Which is a shame because short of this vcarve seems a great bit of kit

1.) Can anybody offer any miracle solutions? here is the vcarve file http://www.pensys.co.uk/sample.crv
2.) Or, perhaps recomend a different peace of software? for doing the 2d vectors... that imports nicely into vcarve?

martin54
06-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Not looked at your vcarve file as I don't have vcarve but if you are deleting a node & then redrawing a line it might be that the shape is not closed which will cause you problems. It will still look like a rectangle despite having 2 points that aren't joined together. Is there a close shape option in vcarve or if it has node editing functions the option to join & break apart nodes.
If you are having trouble importing the file then you could try saving in a different format, I believe vcarve will import quite a few vector formats so try exporting the design from scetch up as an EPS or PDF file.

Bazzer
06-03-2013, 11:22 PM
In node edit mode put the mouse on the line between 2 points, right click, then delete span. This would leave you with the rectangle to pocket with no lines inside. You are left with several "line" vectors and you will need to rejoin these into 1 rectangle by selecting 2 lines (shift key and click) then right click "join / close vectors", I used "Move end points"
Sorry if this doesn't make sense but I'm no expert.
Let me know if you need any further info.

Tried to attach file, but I can't work that one out LOL

wilfy
06-03-2013, 11:29 PM
i dont know if this works for v carve but i'll talk about my experiences with sketchup..

when you make the first rectangle do you "group" it before you draw the second one?? if not then when you draw the second rectangle sketchup will be all lovely and merge any part of the second rectangle that touches the first.. this may well be your problem

jcb121
06-03-2013, 11:30 PM
I use sketchup and Vcarce.

the best way to go from one to another is to redraw it in autocad!

Clive S
07-03-2013, 12:25 AM
I have tried your file and I am no expert but what I did was highligt the vectors that you require ie the oblong box and then use JOIN vectors and do the same with the pocket box and it worked OK with a toolpath. The only trouble I had was that I had to delete one on the lines and redraw it.

I am not sure how to send the crv file back on here. Clive.

martin54
07-03-2013, 12:46 AM
I don't know how easy sketchup is to use so can't comment on it. If you are looking to try something else then inkscape has been mentioned on here before & I believe it is free so might be worth trying, don't know what that's like either as not used it. luckily I already had & used signmaking software so at least that was one less thing I had to learn although I did have to sort out & learn a toolpath generator.

Ricardoco
07-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Ok when i want to achieve what you are asking i make them (the first rectangle and the second) into seperate components in Sketchup and then do the export. Sometimes you will get the odd spurios line in v-carve but they are easily deleted..

Rick

wilfy
07-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Ok when i want to achieve what you are asking i make them (the first rectangle and the second) into seperate components in Sketchup and then do the export. Sometimes you will get the odd spurios line in v-carve but they are easily deleted..

Rick

this kind of backs up what i said then.. these were the biggest problems i originally had using sketchup when i'd move a line half of the component it was connected to would move with it

Ricardoco
09-03-2013, 07:42 PM
this kind of backs up what i said then.. these were the biggest problems i originally had using sketchup when i'd move a line half of the component it was connected to would move with itYep, if you intend the object to be an object in its own right you must make it a component in sketchup first..

Rick