PDA

View Full Version : diy powder coating

dazza
16-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Does anyone on here do there own powder coating,what do you make of these couple of hundred quid kits you can get that are all over ebay,
ive got to get some quotes monday for a lot of small parts to be done in black,just in case they try and take the piss,im thinking diy..what are you useing?recommend a set up?or am i best just leaving it to the professionals, ta

Jonathan
16-03-2013, 08:41 PM
They have the kit at the school I went to. I saw it used once and it seemed to work well quite easily. No idea where they got it though so I can't really help there. You'll need an oven you don't mind melting paint in, which might be a problem.

Fivetide
16-03-2013, 09:28 PM
I worked at a shelving company during Uni and they powder coated metal, I think that the paint is applied with a static charge to make it stick evenly to the metal .. not totally sure and that might be on an industrial scale.

i2i
16-03-2013, 09:31 PM
you should be able to get prices around 50p (50 off) per part if you shop around.

graffian
17-03-2013, 03:32 AM
I powder coat my own parts. It's cheaper than paint.
I bought an unused electrostatic magic gun on ebay, the bloke I bought it off
bought it when he was restoring a car, but never got round to trying it.
I got an oven from freecycle, I hadn't seen one for a few weeks so I ran a wanted add
and had half a dozen offers.

I have never used a pro setup so I have no idea what it's like. I find I can't get a
good finish, but others with the same gun do get a good finish. Orange peel is powder to thin, ripples are powder to thick, I get both of these, at different times. I am wondering if it's the fan oven, it's surprising the powder stays on in the wind the fan creates.
But the finish is shiny and durable. I don't know what doing a lot of parts would be like, I got something like 12 parts in the oven on the cycle with the brake plate. It's not always easy to get parts in and you might find you need more power to heat the parts reasonably quickly, it's probably a lot easier and quicker to get a coater to do them; For me, with just my own parts, it works great.

Here's a pic of a brake plate, it's almost 80 years old and really pitted, I coated it and it looked terrible, so I stripped it again and gave it two coats of zinc rich powder, then sanded it with 120 grit and a coat of black, looks much better in real life.

dazza
17-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks all
50p-£1 a part would be a bonus,will have to see what they say,
thanks for sharing your experiences graffian,thats what im worried about, on paper it looks/sounds easy enough but i dont want to throw good money and time at some diy kit thats limited and have to strip parts to re-do them.

Fivetide
17-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I think they used halogen lamps or something sillier at the place I worked.

cropwell
17-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I've had stuff powder coated at G Shaw's in Cropwell Bishop (0115 9892266). They do a run of 'Appliance white' most days and any other colour once or twice a week. At least they did 5 years ago. I found them cheap and helpful.

dragon
21-03-2013, 10:14 PM
I do this in school, we use powdered polythene. 125 degrees and I sometimes sprinkle it on from a small plastic cup or jar. On steel I heat with a blowtorch until the metal goes straw colour then sprinkle the powder. Blowing the powder into a cloud from the bottom of a comtainer also works better but more kit to mess with with excited kids around. If you want some powder let me know.