PDA

View Full Version : X2 Mill motor Problem

A11an
22-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Hi

I have a X2 mill (Sealey) which has a problem and didn't know if anyone can help, it's less than a year old (only 1 hr use max) but if was an easy fix would rather do it my self as I've fitted a belt conversion etc.

When you turn the knob to wind the spindle up it trips and the overload light comes on really easily, if I turn it really slow it doesn't trip until 3/4 of the way at which time the motor seems to burble and blue electrical spark around the armature. I have seen some posts on other forums saying the potentiometers play up?

hope that make sense

thanks in advance

Allan

Swarfing
22-03-2013, 11:56 PM
If it is a DC brushed motor have you checked the brushes?

A11an
23-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I've had the brushes out and they look fine.

It seems like whatever measures the load is faulty?

m_c
23-03-2013, 02:57 PM
I would of thought that it's more likely to be the controller, as that was a known weak point on the lower power machines.

I'd recommend searching/posting in the benchtop machine forum over on CNC zone (Benchtop Machines (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/)) as the X2 is quite popular over there, and most problems have been discussed at some point.

Swarfing
23-03-2013, 04:57 PM
These otors and controllers are used in the small lathes as well. CNCZone seams to be awash with people having problems with the controllers. They all seem to upgrade in the end?

m_c
23-03-2013, 05:22 PM
The general concensus seems to be to upgrade to a KB DC controller (KBIC is the bottom of the range and will most likely do everything you'll need it to)

KB website is Variable Speed DC Drives and DC Motor Speed Control (http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_DC_Drives.html), and Axis Controls is a UK supplier who I've used in the past(KBIC DC Speed Controllers (http://www.axiscontrols.co.uk/shop/kbic-range))

A11an
23-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks for your replies, I'll look into the controller upgrade. Would be interested to hear from anyone else that has done the upgrade.

Allan

A11an
05-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Update

Just thought I would post an update as it might help someone else out, It was the motor that was gone on my very little used X2, new price £195 delivered (too dear). After looking for a replacement with no luck I came across the C3 replacement motor on the Arc Euro Trade site, looked the same in the picture and all the dimensions are the same, so ordered it and it fit perfectly, you just have to take the 4 screws holding the front casing on and fit the mounting plate from the old motor. £65 for the motor delivered and it works perfect now, no tripping as soon as it spins up! Arc Euro Trade Ltd (http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machine-Spares/C3-Mini-Lathe-Spares)

A11an
05-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Ianwallis
08-01-2021, 04:37 PM
Update

Just thought I would post an update as it might help someone else out, It was the motor that was gone on my very little used X2,

I've got a very similar problem to yours. How did you decide it was the motor at fault and not the control panel please. Don't want to spend money on the wrong thing if I can easily test them. Ian

routercnc
09-01-2021, 10:16 PM
Good luck with your query but this is 7 years old now . . .

Ianwallis
10-01-2021, 10:17 AM
Yes, didn't spot that until after I pressed the Post button. One of the problems with Googling for a topic! Have got some advice from elsewhere so starting the checks.

A11an
11-01-2021, 09:37 PM
I've got a very similar problem to yours. How did you decide it was the motor at fault and not the control panel please. Don't want to spend money on the wrong thing if I can easily test them. IanHi, wow that was a long time ago! I just went for the motor and for me that was the problem.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

dazp1976
25-04-2021, 01:59 PM
Yes, didn't spot that until after I pressed the Post button. One of the problems with Googling for a topic! Have got some advice from elsewhere so starting the checks.

Waste of time the X2 if it has the 350w motor. My pot has gone screwy on one of them. Both my X2's are just sat there. Occasionally use the manual one for drilling holes. (they work but my Amat25 is sooooo much better).

You're prob better off buying one of these when it comes in:

https://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/Amadeal-VM18-Milling-Machine-R8-AMA_MI_VM18R8WE.html#SID=420
Better travels, brushless, R8 (far superior).

Like, The X2 motor is £130, then it could be the board which is another £140, all adds up.
Must admit though, I did upgrade my manual one to metal gears. Thing will take your hand off now lol!.

Uzzy
15-11-2021, 11:40 PM
I have an Axminster Seig SX2 which does not want to play ball, it may run for 30 seconds but normally only 1 or 2

Any suggestions please .

Doddy
16-11-2021, 06:38 PM
Spindle motor?, does the spindle run freely?, in which case it's likely either the motor, the controller card, or a short in the cables that run between. Not very informative, I know, but it needs diagnostics to determine any further.

A bit of history - I converted my SX2.7 to CNC, but when I first bought it it ran for <5 mins then died completely. Repaired under warranty by Arc Eurotrade - brilliant service and they had the kit to diagnose motor and controller (had to return both to them for this). Might be worth a call to see if they're prepare to help out - but it'll cost! Also, they stock the replacement motors and controllers....again, it'll cost.

Once I'd converted to CNC I was trying to reverse-engineer the controller card and ended up blowing it up a second time. At this point I realised replacing the controller and motor with something that suited my purpose better was as cost effective as replacing the controller card alone. You might want to think out of the box to replace rather than repair.

Uzzy
16-11-2021, 06:47 PM
Doddy,

Yes spindle runs freely, I just need someone to service it and advise whats wrong and cost of repair :-)

dazp1976
16-11-2021, 09:17 PM
I'd replace it with an AC servo (if your X2 is belt driven) and get a new motor pulley to suit.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046845943.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5a99100 5wqPlK9&algo_pvid=a8d61ad3-9438-4ed9-b753-f773ec760a99&algo_exp_id=a8d61ad3-9438-4ed9-b753-f773ec760a99-12&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2267416109932%22%7D

Keithw
20-01-2022, 12:26 PM
I'm a bit too late to help Allen, but this may help someone else with problems.
These motors and controller boards are notoriously unreliable (I have several to prove the point!), and spare are not cheap.
The DC brushed motors can be tested by connecting to a 12V DC supply (car battery) - it should tune smoothly, but not too fast (its only 12V, not around the 150V from the controller). If it sparks, 'stutters' or vibrates - you need a new one. There are several different versions of the controller over the years. They all seem to suffer from the output stage failing (usually MOSFETS). They can fail open-circuit or short-circuit. If open, the motor won't turn, if short, the motor runs at high speed, and is uncontrollable. If you know what you are doing, the output devices can be changed, but beware that the whole board is not isolated from mains voltage.
I got so sick of repairing these boards, or the motors, that I dumped the lot. I bought a 1/2 hp 3-phase electric motor, and a small VFD (actually for 2.2 KW). I had previously modified my mill to a toothed belt drive using the original motor (very simple to do - about one days work), The new 3-phase motor fitted in the same place as the original - I just had to drill mounting holes on a different pitch circle. The VFD was mounted in a box to one side of the mill, and connected directly to the motor via a protected cable. This instantly gave many advantages - soft-start, reversible, speed control from zero to max, short- and overload protection, and an RPM display courtesy of the VFD. The motor and VFD cost just over 150 Euros complete - less than the cost of a replacement original motor (and I'm sure a damn sight more reliable).
The whole mill runs very quietly now, with none of the old gear grinding. It was so good, I dumped the motor/electronics on my little 7x12 lathe (same as the mill), and fitted a 3-phase motor to that - it uses the same VFD, just unplug the mill and plug in the lathe - I'm not clever enough to use both together. A bit more mechanical work on the lathe, to make the reverse tumbler fit (Its still needed fro left-hand threads), and to get the toothed belt drive to fit, but nothing very complex.
It might be worth considering before buying and fitting replacement motors and boards which are just as liable to fail as the originals - and more expensive.