PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP RE Autodesk Inventor

craigrobbo
24-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Hey guys.

What I am trying to do is line snapping over 2 sketches.

I am working in 2D sketch mode, I am basically drawing square boxes on one sketch (in black) and then on another sketch (in orange) drawing connecting lines.

Right now I am having to manually look to see the distance, but is there any way to line snap over 2 sketches?

My job needs to be finished by Wednesday and i am pulling my hair out over this.

Thanks

Craig

inventor issue - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIrnyJJw68Q&feature=youtu.be)

birchy
24-03-2013, 12:53 AM
I'm not gonna be a great deal of help at 23:30 on a Saturday night, but maybe the drawing settings file has somehow become corrupted? Might be worth saving a copy and then deleting the "plot" file? I believe there's also a "cleanup" or "redraw" or something like that which should tidy up the drawing and clear the cache.

As a "get me out of the shit" option, have you tried opening the drawings in a different app such as LibreCad?

EDIT:
Are you using "snap" OR "osnap"?

craigrobbo
24-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks for that. I don't its an error, i think its the default option.

I have inventor on 3 computers and they are the same on all three.

Now 3D snapping works great and normal, and 2D sketch snapping works within the SAME sketch.

Now when in 3D mode ou can line snap across several sketches, but when in 2D mode you cannot, you can only line snap in the same sketch.

I didn't know if it had anything to do with projecting geometry or a setting.

I have had a look through application settings and cannot find anything immediantly obvious to change this.

birchy
24-03-2013, 01:19 AM
Dunno mate, I haven't ventured into the world of 3D yet. And I'm not a Windows or Autocad/Inventor user, sorry.

I have inventor on 3 computers and they are the same on all three.That would suggest either a wrong "default" setting, a software bug or something weird within your drawings. Have you tried replicating this "bug" on a brand new drawing? It's probably something really silly and you'll kick yourself when you find it. Check the drawing layers? The autodesk forums will probably get you better results than here...

craigrobbo
24-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Dunno mate, I haven't ventured into the world of 3D yet. And I'm not a Windows or Autocad/Inventor user, sorry.

That would suggest either a wrong "default" setting, a software bug or something weird within your drawings. Have you tried replicating this "bug" on a brand new drawing? It's probably something really silly and you'll kick yourself when you find it. Check the drawing layers? The autodesk forums will probably get you better results than here...

Thanks again, Yeah - I have done maybe 15 seperate drawings so far.

People on the Autodesk website have no Idea either haha

Here is the thread if you want to take a delve into it?

2D line snapping over 2 seperate sketches. - Autodesk Discussion Groups (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/2D-line-snapping-over-2-seperate-sketches/td-p/3811333)

birchy
24-03-2013, 01:39 AM
I see they suggest using AutoCad and creating 2D part drawings...and you say that you don't have AutoCad. There are quite a few FREE 2D cad packages available that will create standard dxf and dwg files. I use LibreCad at home and Autocad at work and have had no problems sharing projects between the 2 apps. Might be worth a try and LibreCad is a LOT easier to use than AutoCad.

phill05
24-03-2013, 10:24 AM
If you have say a square on one sketch and a second square on another sketch you simply project the geometry from one to the other creating a snap point, or work with one square and extrude to greater size and you can taper if it not a square sided rectangle you need.

drop me a pm with a file to look at if your still having probs

Phill