PDA

View Full Version : Pks-digiplan sd2 driver IC help please

asto
24-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Hello everyone!

New member here and knowledge thirsty.
So here goes my first question...My lathe X-axis drive(PKS-DIGIPLAN SD2) lights up a red LED. Then a TO-220 Transistor or maybe a triac, I have no idea what this may be found dead. It has a printed code _PKS0320 but nowhere in the Net I was able to find data or a cross reference for this . So, I have no idea what it may be . I am just guessing this has to be a triac. In the Parker SD2 drive user guide though, only block diagrams I have found so far. Electronic schematics of the boards... nowhere.

Just in case someone of you had access to a stepper drive like this and happen to know what kind of IC this is please help.

regards!

Asto

Swarfing
24-03-2013, 06:36 PM
It's a power transistor and fairly common.

asto
24-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Hi!
Thanks for the response.
I am confused. Google gives me zero results when entering the part code. It is not in <Find chips > data base.
Do you know of any today's equivalent?
If it is an NPN? Collector current...Source for data maybe?

cheers

Asto

irving2008
24-03-2013, 09:40 PM
It's a power transistor and fairly common.

Is it? i googled and checked other resources and couldn't find details....3020 throws up a to39 can medium power transistor, but 0320 gets no hits...

Swarfing
24-03-2013, 11:58 PM
I beg your pardon gents, just checked the search result that i did earlier and i was wrong. close i can get is a darlington.

asto
25-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi to all!
I have a feeling this search is going to end up to a success.
Well, irving2008 sorry for that. What is printed on the plastic part of this transistor is not clear enough. Besides its date code reads 3283 imagine so many years since this was made. The only thing I know for sure is a TO220 package. No data other than what I see.
The closest result I found today was from a cross ref. source PKS-323-01 But their description is totally some other thing. Not even the code as you can see came close.
So, I keep searching.
I'll have a photo of that part tomorrow.
And hey, Swarfing...would you please send the link where this was described as a darlington. Two pieces of information I now need to get this drive back to life. If this is NPN, collector current and coll/emitter voltage.

cheers

Swarfing
25-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Asto i just checked out those sites that sell obsolete parts.

irving2008
26-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Asto

looks like that's a digiplan proprietary part number, common anti-copy practice in those days. given the age & specs of the driver i'd suggest 3 options:

1. trace the circuit to determine if npn or pnp then given the spec of the driver (2.5A, 24v IIRC) choose something appropriate in a modern transistor (6 - 10A Ice-max, Vce 100v+, which is likely to be better anyway on Vce-sat and hfe specs). TBH, given other things have may have died I'd not bother.

2. buy a replacement driver off ebay (or check if members such as JohnS have some left over from upgrades)

3. use this as opportunity to upgrade to modern drivers

asto
26-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Asto

looks like that's a digiplan proprietary part number, common anti-copy practice in those days. given the age & specs of the driver i'd suggest 3 options:

1. trace the circuit to determine if npn or pnp then given the spec of the driver (2.5A, 24v IIRC) choose something appropriate in a modern transistor (6 - 10A Ice-max, Vce 100v+, which is likely to be better anyway on Vce-sat and hfe specs). TBH, given other things have may have died I'd not bother.

2. buy a replacement driver off ebay (or check if members such as JohnS have some left over from upgrades)

3. use this as opportunity to upgrade to modern drivers

It seems I do not have choices here. So I better follow your advise irving but for upgrading I do not have a plan yet. And I think I know of at least one way to test this part off the pcb and see if it is a PNP or NPN.
Thanks.

cheers

Swarfing
27-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Just a stab?

TIP32C-PKS

TIP32C-PKS - SEMILAB - Ashlea Components (http://www.ashlea.co.uk/p/TIP32C-PKS.aspx)

PS

Just noticed their telephone number is a Swindon one?

John S
27-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Just checked, don't have any of these drives but do have a sack bag of stuff from a couple of Denford Starmill conversions, Need to get these on Ebay.

Also have the guts from a Roland PNC - 3100 and a Roland PNC - 2200

i2i
27-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi Asto, i'm a bit confused here. The first picture you posted shows a parker sd2 drive, but the second picture showing the component is of a parker cd20 drive.
Is the lathe an Easiturn, if so the drive should be a cd20, and to have an led showing it would seem the drive is a cd20 rather than a sd2.

asto
27-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Just a stab?

TIP32C-PKS

TIP32C-PKS - SEMILAB - Ashlea Components (http://www.ashlea.co.uk/p/TIP32C-PKS.aspx)

PS

Just noticed their telephone number is a Swindon one?

You know Swarfing, that was a hit.
This morning I attached three wires on the board in place of removed transistor and at the other end a triple female socket. Then started playing with several types of transistors that I'd found handy and guess what... The one that made the SD2 play music again was the TIP145. So the TIP32-C is the closest equivalent as its collector current is 3Amps while the TIP145 is Ic=10Amps.
I think the supplier's location is...518, Purley Way, Croydon, CR0 4RE
Conclusion...Very few things may remain unidentified in this forum.
I am glad I've joined.

Thanks!

Ps. I wish to thank Irving as well for helping me to narrow my search_Sorry for any syntax errors.

asto
27-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Well... i2i,
I only have machines driven by SD2's. So, both pictures are from the SD2 drive. What you see in the 2nd image is the component side of the PCB which is visible_ copper side_(well that's o.k double sided board) in the first photo.

cheers

asto
27-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Thanks John S!

i2i
27-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Well... i2i,
I only have machines driven by SD2's. So, both pictures are from the SD2 drive. What you see in the 2nd image is the component side of the PCB which is visible_ copper side_(well that's o.k double sided board) in the first photo.

cheersthat is a wierd one then, as i have an sd2 and a cd20 in front of me and the second pic looks exactly like the cd20. But not to worry, i'm glad you've identified the component. I spoke to parker today regarding a schematic, and they put me onto a company that may be able to help.

Swarfing
28-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Asto

Glad you got somewhere with it.

asto
28-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Asto

Glad you got somewhere with it.

Swarfing, how did you manage to get to the TIP32C which is the best replacement without real data of the old transistor. Because PKS0320 is not a valid code for this part. I did not know this when I started this thread.

It is printed on the old transistor but it has to be something like irving said. This code does not belong to any known transistor family.
Anyway my SD2 drive is alive again and runs fine.

Now I have to see how much hope do I have to fix the problem for my x-axis stepper motor losing direction.

cheers

Asto

Swarfing
28-03-2013, 07:02 PM
I used to work for motorola in a past life. It was common for them to disguise parts like Irving said. They would always use part of the original data in the name though so it was just a case of searching using PKS and 32.

asto
28-03-2013, 07:04 PM
...i2i trust me. What you see in the second picture is what I took out from the SD2.
If a similar PKS-DIGIPLAN called cd20 exists I totally disregard. But this is my chance so please educate me.
How many Amps drive is that cd20 capable to deliver. Probably the machine you took this from is a more powerful one compared to the little Orac.
And this was not the first time the SD2 needed to be dismantled for fixing. In the past, it blew a 40xxx series CMOS. The CD40106.
But today it looks a bit different because I have added DIP sockets for every single chip. and the appropriate sockets for transistor or diode in the PC boards.

cheers

Asto

asto
28-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Unbelievable!

I do not know many people capable of finding this without data.

I am not an experienced service person but I like dealing with stuff like that.
Saves money as well.

kind regards Swarfing!

ps I hope to see you in my next thread starting tonight.

i2i
28-03-2013, 07:27 PM
856585668567Hi Asto, this is a bit strange.

I've posted some pics of an SD2 with a CD20 next to it. The cd20 has another board in the centre of the two heatsinks which is removed to show the main board, this board has four leds on the left hand (rear) edge.

The Denford Orac used both types of drive, the cd20 version has a higher voltage psu (around 65v-80v), and the sd2 version has a 35v ish psu.

asto
28-03-2013, 08:40 PM
i2i...the second pic from left to right and the 4rth are pretty similar to mine almost identical but i see the white plastic socket contains three lines of contactors. Mine has two connecting the main board where the high power transistors are with the signal processing board where the logic ic's are located and the leds are on this one the one on the top. You re right!
The first pic that i sent was borrowed from the internet not real mine...So it looks you have some point here.
The one with the exposed PKS0320 was taken by me few days ago.
I can send you new photos that i can have from my machine tomorrow.
The first board though which i see must have come off a Triac mill. My Triac uses them because I can see the driver ic there covered under the flat springs. It is the L298. I had to replace this once.

cheers

i2i
28-03-2013, 08:59 PM
The Triac does use the sd2 drives on the x and y axis, and an sd3 on the z axis. This is on models up to the early 90's, and then they changed them to the sd12/13 drives.
Is your Triac one of the green ones with the open frame or a mixed white and green one?

asto
28-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Yes right! The green one.
But painted Grey.
An old open machine from the 80's.

i2i...Do you want to sell any of these boards?

cheers

Asto

i2i
28-03-2013, 09:49 PM
lovely machines the old ones i prefer the 3 phase spindle motor to the dc motor on the newer models, but such a shame they came with the r8 spindle nose. The newer ones have a 30 spindle that allows the bt30 tools and an atc.
Now a mod to use the r8 spindle and convert it to a 30 taper and atc would be handy.
My stock of cd20s are to backup my 2 Denford Quatros and my easiturn, they are quite hard to get hold of and that's not going to get better, so sorry i'll not be parting with any.

My apologies if i came over a bit high handed in earlier posts.

GEOFFREY
29-03-2013, 12:55 AM
i2i, just as an independant observer, you did not come over as "high handed" in your posts, just as someone who knows what he is talking about!!! G.

asto
29-03-2013, 01:05 AM
lovely machines the old ones i prefer the 3 phase spindle motor to the dc motor on the newer models, but such a shame they came with the r8 spindle nose. The newer ones have a 30 spindle that allows the bt30 tools and an atc.
Now a mod to use the r8 spindle and convert it to a 30 taper and atc would be handy.
My stock of cd20s are to backup my 2 Denford Quatros and my easiturn, they are quite hard to get hold of and that's not going to get better, so sorry i'll not be parting with any.

My apologies if i came over a bit high handed in earlier posts.

...My Triacs are not R8 machines I have two of them. One was built in 1985 and the other 1987. The newer I bought from G and m tools but Z axis failed after a while.Thought it was the stepper motor and replaced that with new Sanyo. Then I found the L298 dead.
Replacing this IC was not that easy in double sided board.

Sorry about the first picture. It was not taken from my machine. You were right.

cheers

asto
04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
I used to work for motorola in a past life. It was common for them to disguise parts like Irving said. They would always use part of the original data in the name though so it was just a case of searching using PKS and 32.

This isn't a drive question but, again this module(Parajust single to three phase inverter) carries coding which is not common for TO-3 Motorola transistors.

cheers

irving2008
04-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Educated guess... 2SC901 NPN,.... if PNP then maybe MJ901 darlington (but doubt that)

...Then I have another one for you Swarfing..

This isn't a drive question but, again this module(Parajust single to three phase inverter) carries coding which is not common for TO-3 Motorola transistors.
Can you tell what type these transistors may be?

cheers

Swarfing
04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Asto please don't confuse me with some genius in component identification. Irving is probably in your best ball park for this one. It was an educated guess with the last one and a power of deduction. Looking at the age of the rest of the components I would not even try to repair this...........There are some limits to when you just have to let go of this stuff. To also put something into perspective i worked in there 900/1800 phone division a very long time ago.

asto
05-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks Irving!

My DMM shows these are NPN ones.

cheers

asto
09-04-2013, 06:37 PM
...Sorry for making you feel this way. My intentions were not even close to this.
Well, l can do more reading than writing in the future. Yes, I can do that. Besides, I am not writing in my language.

Again sorry.

kind regards

Asto.

Swarfing
09-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Asto

Not sure what you apologising for? you have said nothing wrong here ;-)

John S
09-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Just found some sd2 boards tonight, 3 boards, mother board and backplane off a Starmill.
machine would home and that's all, suspect something on the MB went bad as the axis all moved but gutted it and put everything new in.

Any idea what these are worth before I bung them on Ebay ?

asto
09-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Images are of great help in this case. Can you post some?

cheers

John S
09-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Here you are.

I have taken the top shield off one driver for the photo but they are all identical.
the mother board has all the plugs attached to the sockets with some of the cable attached so it can be colour checked.

I'm guessing the fault lay on the mother board as it would home but after that nothing.

asto
10-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Here you are.

I have taken the top shield off one driver for the photo but they are all identical.
the mother board has all the plugs attached to the sockets with some of the cable attached so it can be colour checked.

I'm guessing the fault lay on the mother board as it would home but after that nothing.

Hi John-S!

It is nice I can view the images. Please tell me if your machine was modified ever. In case you are not sure please check the underside(copper side) of the mother board for non factory solder joints or wire bridges.
And, would you please make these images around 300K so I can tell if the boards are compatible with my Triac?
In case this image size is not allowed here you can use my address <[email protected]>

Thanks!

asto
11-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi John S!

I can pay you 125 Euro for the boards because the motherboard is faulty.
If my offer is fine with you we can talk about the details. There is my email address in my previous message to you.

cheers

Asto

John S
12-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Asto, will email you later tonight, on the road at the moment.
I have taken some more pictures but lost my bloody camera, put it down somewhere and can't find it.

However no jumper underneath on the mother board but two of the chips have jumper wires on top,
Drivers look clean both sides.

asto
13-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks John S!
Take your time

Spud
07-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone!

New member here and knowledge thirsty.
So here goes my first question...My lathe X-axis drive(PKS-DIGIPLAN SD2) lights up a red LED. Then a TO-220 Transistor or maybe a triac, I have no idea what this may be found dead. It has a printed code _PKS0320 but nowhere in the Net I was able to find data or a cross reference for this . So, I have no idea what it may be . I am just guessing this has to be a triac. In the Parker SD2 drive user guide though, only block diagrams I have found so far. Electronic schematics of the boards... nowhere.

Just in case someone of you had access to a stepper drive like this and happen to know what kind of IC this is please help.

regards!

Asto

Spud
07-04-2016, 11:41 AM
I am just about to put two SD2 drives on Ebay. Interested?

Spud
08-04-2016, 11:58 AM
I have two SD2 if you are interested

Clive S
08-04-2016, 05:28 PM
I have two SD2 if you are interestedYou do realise that this post is 3 years old

asto
29-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Hi Spud!
I have finaly managed to fix the faulty board after i replaced a dead cmos ic.But i still have need of some boards from this machine like the main interface board. It looks like the one and only Ferranti IC located there is dead as well. If you still heve the old boards i am interested buying them.

cheers