PDA

View Full Version : How to cnc cut 1-2mm stainless sheet ??

Ricardoco
27-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Hi all, My Friend has asked me How to Use CNC to cut many items from an 8x4 x 1-2mm stainless sheet, he is making some odd shaped items that have an area of about 6" square but the edge finish has to be precise, and I couldn't think for the life of me how I would do it. What would you guys suggest for the cutting and holding, the nesting isn't a problem..

Rick

birchy
27-03-2013, 08:51 PM
S/S is notorious for wearing cutters out and you have to use slow speeds and high feeds to prevent work hardening. Complicated shapes are best cut using a none-contact method such as water jet, laser or plasma.

EDIT:
Depending on quantity, would it be worth making press/punch tools from tool steel?

Ricardoco
27-03-2013, 09:08 PM
S/S is notorious for wearing cutters out and you have to use slow speeds and high feeds to prevent work hardening. Complicated shapes are best cut using a none-tool method such as water jet, laser or plasma.

Waterjet would be a no no for me, and well Plasma is not out of the question but the finish is not great when I use mine by hand, and I suspect although better with CNC its not that great either although I'm not Certain of that. And laser, well if I could have a laser that would cut 2mm metal of any kind I would jump at that but I understand the lasers cost a packet...

Rick

birchy
27-03-2013, 09:23 PM
TBH, plasma would be a last resort as the finish usually requires a bit of fettlin'. Stainless will cut OK on a mill if you use Cobalt tools and suitable speeds and feeds with plenty of coolant.

Ricardoco
27-03-2013, 11:17 PM
TBH, plasma would be a last resort as the finish usually requires a bit of fettlin'. Stainless will cut OK on a mill if you use Cobalt tools and suitable speeds and feeds with plenty of coolant. On an 8x4 sheet I think plenty of coolant would be fun to say the least LOL I was wondering if it would be worth advising him to get a tool made for a press rather than a CNC..

birchy
28-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Shearing would probably be the cleanest method but it depends how complex the piece is. Another off-the-cuff option is a CNC nibbler. Never seen one, but I'm sure they must exist.

John S
28-03-2013, 12:32 AM
In 1 to 2mm stainless a laser will give a very clean edge, yes I know they are expensive but you sub con the job out and pay by the cut inch [ or mm ]

IanS1
28-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Here you go, one of these would probably do the job.

EUROMAC CNC PUNCHING MACHINES - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66jKzy6UbQY)

GEOFFREY
28-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Here you go, one of these would probably do the job.

EUROMAC CNC PUNCHING MACHINES - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66jKzy6UbQY)

What an incredible machine, and it says affordable too!! G.

Ricardoco
28-03-2013, 04:06 AM
What an incredible machine, and it says affordable too!! G.

Very Cool gadget for sure, Affordable yehh to bill gates.

Rick