PDA

View Full Version : Twin X axis Drives

Hobbit
19-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Currently building medium size wood router and will be using twin stepper motor drives on X axis, can any body give me advice on how stable this configuration will be. Effects of missed steps and any other bogies. I'm using Mach 3 and have slaved X&A axis together, I will be using the Gecko G540 drive.. Any help,advice or previous experiences will be gratefully received....

Smiler
19-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Currently building medium size wood router and will be using twin stepper motor drives on X axis, can any body give me advice on how stable this configuration will be. Effects of missed steps and any other bogies. I'm using Mach 3 and have slaved X&A axis together, I will be using the Gecko G540 drive.. Any help,advice or previous experiences will be gratefully received....

I looked at it but went for a rack and pinion instead. You could always get a larger stepper , mount it centrally and drive both ballscrews/leadscrews via belts. As far as two motors goes, If you get missed steps on either motor you will get racking, out of square cuts and increased wear as your linear bearings/ drive screws come under increasing load from not being parallel. I've chatted with a few people who started out with two steppers and quickly converted to single with twin belts.

BTW...
Am I the only person in the universe using R&P? It is so simple to set up, gives high speeds while keeping the stepper speed low and therefore high torque and no missed steps.

Regards, Jeff.

PS, any pics of your build????

Hobbit
19-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for input smiler, I'm pretty much committed to twin drives at this time but if things do go pear shaped i'll think about doing the mod you suggested, maybe even R&P. Have attached a couple of pics to show progress...Rod

Smiler
19-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Rod,

That looks like a really nice build you have going. Please consider starting a build thread. I'm slightly taken aback at how similar both our designs are :)

What materials are you using for the framework and the gantry and what sort of size bed etc? Enquiring minds need to know....;)

I'm just about to start building my main support frame. Heavy section channels and angle to increase rigidity.

Thanks for the photos anyway.

Jeff.

GTJim
20-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Rod, that is a very nice build. Please more information and pictures.